Jet wash engine? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

tapike

Free Member
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 76-4
Hi all, we have a Bailey Alliance with Peugeot engine/cab. Unfortunately the birds managed to make a nice little home for themselves under the bonnet 🙄🙁 & have made a right mess.
Can anyone advise if it's ok to jet wash the engine down?
Thanks in advance.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Personally I wouldn’t as there is a lot of cabling and electrical wizardry that you don’t want to get water in

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
A degreaser will do flowed by a hose pipe if needs be..
Cover all electricals with plastic bags or similar.

Upvote 0

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
I worked for a company building jet wash pumps and regularly jet washed the engine of my car in demonstrations, the only effect was a very clean engine. It had no effect on all the vehicles we tried sometimes using detergents and heated water. They went bust after the owners disappeared.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I certainly wouldn’t. I’d use Gunk spray or similar, let it work it’s magic and gentle hosepipe it off, or watering can.

I know some people do and they get away with it, but if you did happen to soak anything electrical or electronics, then you might regret it.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Dont pressure wash on any modern engine , they are only water (splash) resistant they will even cause real problems when submerged for any reasonable length of time . I recovered many vehicles that had been caught in flood and they were all written off if the water level got to top of engine .That was not due to water getting into engine , which is a simple, relatively fix. Water if it gets into wiring will cause all sorts of sensor anomalies even if not immediate .

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have a very old, low pressure Kurcher which has a pistol gun that I use for engine work but what about a small bathroom steam gun? :unsure:

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
All HGV S have to be cleaned prior to the Annual Test.
Having operated these vehicles for over 30 years we have never had a problem. I will use a jet wash on my own cars and once a year I will give the MH a quick wash off. I do not flood the engine bays but for the HGV s all oil and contaminants have to be removed from the vehicle, top to bottom prior to test.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
All HGV S have to be cleaned prior to the Annual Test.
Having operated these vehicles for over 30 years we have never had a problem. I will use a jet wash on my own cars and once a year I will give the MH a quick wash off. I do not flood the engine bays but for the HGV s all oil and contaminants have to be removed from the vehicle, top to bottom prior to test.
As with London Hackney Carriages which needed to be steam cleaned before testing, which might be a better option than a high pressure wash.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Vehicles are designed to have a tidal wave of water thrown in the front at 70mph + headwind for hours at a time. There's plenty of online videos online of people jet washing down their engine bays. I wouldn't do it while it's running and probably not while it's baking hot, and wouldn't deliberately point it at the intakes or electrical bits, but jetting at solid surfaces isn't going to harm it.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I worked for a company building jet wash pumps and regularly jet washed the engine of my car in demonstrations, the only effect was a very clean engine. It had no effect on all the vehicles we tried sometimes using detergents and heated water. They went bust after the owners disappeared.
I bet your car didn't have Fiat electrics. :rofl:

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Vehicles are designed to have a tidal wave of water thrown in the front at 70mph + headwind for hours at a time. There's plenty of online videos online of people jet washing down their engine bays. I wouldn't do it while it's running and probably not while it's baking hot, and wouldn't deliberately point it at the intakes or electrical bits, but jetting at solid surfaces isn't going to harm it.

Ummm.yes, I take your point but does that really apply to something designed and built in Italy where there is much less rain?

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Would you expect your Alternator to be OK after dumping it in a bucket of water. Circuit boards of any kind shouldn't be wet especially not if they are powered up.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You need to ensure exactly where the ecu is. Onsmaller peugeots it is under bonnet on the right & has an air vent in recess at the top,ideal for getting water & reqyuiring expensive repairs.

Upvote 0

RYHALLRED

Free Member
Oct 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Elddis CV40
I would say that only directly wash areas where are there are no wiring connectors. If u do have to wet an area with connectors then hold that lance well away so there is more of a mist. Also when done spray the area with Duck Oil or WD40 etc. that will repel moisture. Duck oil smells so nice :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back