Jane & Rog Plod to Portugal

Jane NotRog

LIFE MEMBER
Joined
Jan 19, 2019
Posts
3,377
Likes collected
21,728
Location
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
58,099
MH
EuraMobil Xtura
Exp
A few years
Finally! As seems to be our default mode these days, the months since we returned from our Baltic trip have been filler with wallet-scaring expenses of the most boring kind. If only we’d blown several grand on vintage champagne, diamonds and dancing boys, rather than roof repairs, 500 year old beam repairs*, Denby’s awning strut and a new cam-belt.

*If I could call that 15th century builder, I’d have a word about why said beam was elm when he’d charged me for oak. Still, I suppose the NHBC warranty has long expired.

So, last Tuesday we were all set for our Friday departure, when I went down with a nasty virus and a temperature of 39°. I was still lying on the sofa with a thumping headache and the shivers on Thursday, so we delayed the departure until Monday. And then, yesterday, the fever left and even though I was still coughing as if I smoke 40 Gauloises a day, I felt much better, so we switched again to an early Saturday crossing. Luckily all these shenanigans just cost us £6. Hoorah!

(While we’re on the subject of health, the ankle I broke in Germany on our last trip still gives me a small amount of pain when I rotate it, and it’s still a little swollen. My GP referred me to a consultant, and he ordered an X-ray - result, my fibula hasn’t healed and the ends of the bone are still 1-2mm apart. I could just be a slow healer, so a follow-up X-ray is planned for 3 months’ time. Sorry for boring you all to death.)

Anyway, all that is behind us and we are off to Spain and Portugal. We’re well prepared - Rog has been learning tourist Spanish from the fantastic Say Something in Welsh people, and I’ve been learning Portuguese from Duolingo. Duolingo is all very well, but I’m left able to tell you that my elephant drinks milk and my monkey is wearing a red cape, but I can’t ask for a table for two or a loaf of bread.

Another way in which we’re well prepared is that Rog has spent the last couple of months playing with his 3D printer, stopped only briefly to eat and breathe. So now Denby is filled with small grey plastic objects of his own design.

I present the thing to hold the lighter for the gas hob:

IMG_0405.jpeg


And the window thing to hold your iPhone overnight:

IMG_0406.jpeg



We were up bright and early on a cold, clear morning, due to my cough waking me at 4:30.

IMG_9776.jpeg


That meant we also arrived nice and early for our 9:15 shuttle crossing. Consequently we were bumped to the 8:45 train, luckily still leaving plenty of time for Rog to indulge in a Leon Full Breakfast Pot with extra hash browns, and me in a litre of Bombay Sapphire gin for £16 (the latter not for my breakfast, I assure you).

Passport control went smoothly, and we were happily waiting to board the 8:45 when the announcement came that it had been cancelled due to technical issues. Our potential departure is now later than our originally booked one, sigh. Fingers crossed we actually get to France in the next hour or two…

Oh, and the thread title? We think we’re pretty good at Coddiwompling actually, it’s the slowing down that we can’t do. So let’s see.

Today’s rating so far: Started poorly with a speedy departure, but back on track due to the wonders of LeShuttle.
 
“Back on track” :)

Ooh can i follow you on Duolingo?
 
Have a great time we are enjoying Portugals and slowly making our way back. Your description of Duolingo is very witty but also spot on. Claire is fluent in telling people their dog is white in Spanish with a Mexican accent. The 3D printer looks brilliant, I want one.
 
Have a great time we are enjoying Portugals and slowly making our way back. Your description of Duolingo is very witty but also spot on. Claire is fluent in telling people their dog is white in Spanish with a Mexican accent. The 3D printer looks brilliant, I want one.

Rog will no doubt bore you with all the details. I mean, he’s done it to me so why should you be spared :)

Talking of Mexican, the only Portuguese Google Translate knows about is Brazilian! I hope the Portuguese search using Duck Duck Go in protest.
 
You will love Portugal!
Really looking forward to seeing what you find that we didn't :giggle:
ps Have been in touch with Toby re the sheep proofing of our dogs for next years trip to Morocco - thanks for the info (y)
 
You will love Portugal!
Really looking forward to seeing what you find that we didn't :giggle:
ps Have been in touch with Toby re the sheep proofing of our dogs for next years trip to Morocco - thanks for the info (y)

Good luck with it! Any tips gratefully received.
 
Good luck with the trip, Lola requires a few pin ups of Flynn again for her kennel collection.😍🏊‍♂️ Having just left France and Belgium for Holland I would ask if you have a snorkel fitted! The rain has been biblical. We decided on Holland for the last few days as they are the experts in controlling floods. May cross paths Jan/Feb as we are off dice rolling towards Spain. Gave up any thoughts of Eastern Europe as most of it appeared to be under water!🤽‍♂️
 
I suspect you are learning Brazilian Portuguese which is different (especially in pronunciation) from real Portuguese...

JJ :cool:
May youngest daughter's boyfriend is Spanish, although he would say Catalan. He says the Spanish on Duolingo is with a Mexican accent and phraseology so you probably right.
 
I suspect you are learning Brazilian Portuguese which is different (especially in pronunciation) from real Portuguese...

JJ :cool:
Oh no! How would I confirm this hypothesis?
 
I suspect you are learning Brazilian Portuguese which is different (especially in pronunciation) from real Portuguese...

JJ :cool:
When we were in Portugal last year we tried using google translate which is, apparently, Brazilian based…..lots of people just shook their head and didn’t understand translation. There is no option on google to choose which version of Portuguese you can use.
 
The Spanish is definitely South American. Some vocabulary is slightly different and accents too. I studied Spanish at university many moons ago and have enough to know when Duolingo is using South American.
 
Then it was a driving day. I’d already made filled rolls for lunch - Gouda, English ham and French mustard - I do like a United Nations sandwich.

We set the sat nav to avoid tolls as so discovered a lovely plane-tree-lined avenue early on our journey, making us feel as if we were in the real France much more quickly than the autoroute would have.

Our stop for the night was at Le Mêle-sur-Sarthe - a village étape. That’s one of those things I’ve read without really knowing what it means, so a quick DuckDuckGo told us that these are small towns equipped with all the necessary facilities for travellers - hotels, restaurants, post office, baker, butcher, and Tesla recharging points. We’re at the Camping-Car site there, which is effectively free, as we have had 30 euros credit on our card since our semi-successful attempt to use the system on our way to Morocco.

We’d just got settled on the only remaining hard-standing pitch at Le Mêle when a French motor-homer popped over to warn us that said pitch was under a horse chestnut tree - and the nuts were falling all night. Not conducive to a good night’s rest - we moved to a grass pitch a decent distance from any conkers.

IMG_0409.jpeg


We walked Flynn around the neighbouring lake, trying not to disturb the competing hordes of fishermen hoping for the largest carp. Flynn wasn’t really allowed in the lake, but Flynn being Flynn, did in fact have several swims.

IMG_0413.jpeg

Who me?


A little later, we walked out again, without the ravening beast, to explore the town and find some dinner. We were immediately swayed by the Hôtel de la Poste offering us “Ris et rognons de veau sauce cidre, pommes de terre grenaille confites”. They only started serving it an hour later though, so we sat outside with a drink and snacked on fish rillettes and toasts. The sun went in, as did we, and we had a second round in the bar with more fish rillettes. Dinner time arrived, we moved to the dining room, and more fish rillettes arrived! I’d totally given up by this point but Rog is a brave soldier and stuffed them all down.

IMG_0418.jpeg

Fish toasts v Man (round 3)


Our ris and rognons were delicious and a bit of a memory of France past.

IMG_9798.jpeg


We then shared a small plate of three local cheeses (Camembert, Morbier and Époisses) and then an orange sorbet with extra oranges for pud. “Très legère,” the lady of the house had assured me, and it was.

IMG_0419.jpeg

A wafer-thin mint, sir?

A bit more of a posh treat than we were expecting, but the total bill with all the waiting-wine (and beer) was less than most decent British pubs these days, so no complaints here.
 

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Log in

Already a member? Log in here.

Forum posts reflect the views of individual users and not MotorhomeFun.
MotorhomeFun does not endorse or verify user-generated content.

Back
Top