LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
We’ve had a bit of a downer on France for a while. It’s too expensive, too busy, the food isn’t as good as they think it is, etc. today if felt a bit like France had realised that, put on its best pants and tried to seduce us.

IMG_4568.jpeg

We decided to have a final stopover in Champagne. Apparently they have a local wine that’s very similar - and nearly as good - as the wines of Kent and Sussex. But first a picnic on the way. Turns out that France is really good at dotting every road with nice, clean picnic spots.

IMG_4579.jpeg

We were the first of three to arrive at Champagne Bouquet (///tracers.uninvited.nasal). Swiftly followed by some Swedes who needed Jane’s help to speako-le-frenchie and then some French people who didn’t. Bouquet is a small winery which allows people to camp for free overlooking their vines. The views are stunning. Sadly they weren’t open for tasting on Sunday evening.

DJI_0281.jpeg

As we looked over the protochampagne, we cooked razor clams followed by Charolais steak.

IMG_7681.jpeg

Châtillon-sur-Marne was the birthplace of Pope Urban II and, in the centre of the village is a massive statue of him. It’s not clear if Urban is facing Rome, Jerusalem or just at the nice view. We think Jerusalem is most likely: in 1095 Urban promised forgiveness and pardon for all of the past sins of those who would fight to reclaim the holy land from Muslims and free the eastern churches. I.e. the Crusades were his idea.

IMG_4591.jpeg

Whoever his political legacy, the views from his statue over the vineyards as the sun set were amazing.

IMG_7689.jpeg

IMG_7692.jpeg

In the morning I took Flynn for a walk through the Pinot Noir vines as the sun burnt the haze out of the valleys. It was lovely.

IMG_4609.jpeg

IMG_4613.jpeg

We set off early and made very good time to Pas de Calais. Such good time that we decided to bring the tunnel booking forward and return to England today.

IMG_4617.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Really enjoyed your journey. Given me plenty of ideas for the future. Thank you

PxJ

Dec 1, 2021
Bottesford, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
BESSACARR 442
Exp
Well the end to another fantastic trip for you (I hope) & an excellent trip for us. I said it before all your posts are always so well written & the pictures fantastic & of course only outdone by the excellent little section by

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for the pics and blog. Really enjoyed it. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
However, our trip there was beset by difficulties. First, what I had thought was an easy road winding up beside the river turned into a narrow mountain road with steep drops and a dreadful, broken road surface. I was in tears of fear after an hour of this - it was awful.

Here is Rog’s video
Looks like a nice wide but I'm an expert at ending up on silly roads. :LOL:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Another brilliant blog Jane and Rog, It was interesting your thoughts on Croatia, ours were exactly the same we turned around at Split, far to many tourists and tour guides, once you turned into the less discovered countries loved it, :love: thanks for sharing. :cool: Bob.

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Very entertaining and lovely photos. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I forget to comment regularly, but have read each instalment wirh interest. Flynn is gorgeous.
Will definitely follow your adventures in Wales too, if you do a thread. Would love some suggestions for somewhere closer to home.

Safe travels home.

Karen

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Works been getting in the way recently but I've just caught up!!
Looking forward to the next trip and I'll try to check in more regularly!
I'm sure that beer was in a small glass,its just that Rog has a tiny head!!

Orinoco

Free Member
Aug 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit convers
Thanks for writing your blog Jane and Rog and especially thank you for recommending the camper park at Bernau am chiemsee which we remembered as we were stuck in endless traffic heading for Salzburg today. I saw the sign for Bernau and remembered you mentioning it and we decided to leave the motorway and stay here for a couple of nights. Cheers !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back