I've had a long term "thing" for trying out all the various Sat Navs - looking for a recommendation for a dual use Android Tablet? (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Quite a while.....though not long enough
Hi,

I've had a long term "thing" for trying out all the various Sat Navs that are available.

Having a good POI set up and suitable Van friendly routing is high up on my "must haves".

I've just cleared out most of my collection, and I'm thinking of now going the Tablet / Co Pilot Caravan route as I really like the way it displays a hand selection of POI`s that can be displayed constantly on the map, without having to go looking for them through a multitude of menus. I already have a much older version of this running on an old iPad 2 (alongside Tom Tom Live). But would now like to update this to a newer and hopefully better Android tablet.

Unsure if I need Compass / Gyro facility, but obviously need a good GPS built in. I would also like to use the tablet for general browsing, possibly streaming, and use it as an entertainment hub (maybe with a detachable keyboard).

I don't mind going budget so long as it ticks the boxes and has a reasonable display and battery life (I know, I don't want much, lol).

Sizewise I would think minimum 8", preferably 10".

Do you have any recommendations from the current crop of tablets available?

#TIA

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Finger hovering over the Buy It Now on a Lenovo Tab 4 10.1"

Any experience of this with Co Pilot or similar?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Didn't DBK
Post something along those lines recently ,very informative post
I did but my trials are with a 7" tablet and using Google maps which doesn't do POI files as far as I know and can't take vehicle dimensions. As long as the tablet has a GPS chip it will do navigation.

From experience, if you want to use a 10" tablet make sure you have a good power supply going to it otherwise the battery will run down with the screen being on permanently.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Hi,

Yes, I was looking at that earlier, great thread.

Thinking I might go for something slightly more "speccy" only as it will also be used as a hub of entertainment (gaming apps, streaming, etc), as well as for co-pilot.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
I did but my trials are with a 7" tablet and using Google maps which doesn't do POI files as far as I know and can't take vehicle dimensions. As long as the tablet has a GPS chip it will do navigation.

From experience, if you want to use a 10" tablet make sure you have a good power supply going to it otherwise the battery will run down with the screen being on permanently.

Hi DBK,

I had seen your excellent thread shortly after posting this (I should have used the search button I know, lol).

I am going to go to PC World and take a look at some of the slightly speccier Mediapads (M5?), as it has a 7500mh battery that lasts ages and "apparently" charges quickly also.

The POI and Caravan Routing part is an absolute must, I still have Co-Pilot on a device that was set up when the iPad 2 was reletively new, but I had given up on it as at that time the custom POI part wasn't up to what we wanted.

The newer version however is brilliant, as I like to clearly see on the route any potential stop offs on the way (Motorhome Friendly Parking, Pub Stops and the likes), and the version I have been testing allows this. Also, the same as being alerted to the proximity of Camera and Low Bridges, it can alert you to a customisable proximity of said POI`s (such as Motorhome Friendly Parking, etc)., which for me is a fantastic feature.

Thanks again for your other post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I don't favour the 'multiple use' scenario for tablets. I've gone down the DBK route of a Huawei 7" running CoPilot for navigation only and my wife has a mini Ipad for her use of emails, Facebook and web purchases. This is despite the Ipad being a cellular model with GPS built in.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
I've plumped for a Lenovo Tab 4 Plus 10.1 - not much money to give it a whirl if nothing else (may shortly end up on the classifieds though, lol).

Trying to find a means to secure it to the dash could be a whole different problem. Maybe a series of magnetic mounts.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
For several years I have used Brodit brackets for the SatNav with a mount in the 'Van and another in our car, a Polo. I then swap the TomTom over as needed, but now with a larger 'van I need a GPS system that copes with the size of the vehicle I'm driving - hence the Huawei purchase. I'm hoping to canabalise a cheap Ebay tablet mount to use the existing Brodit bracket in the 'van. Hope that makes sense :unsure:

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
For several years I have used Brodit brackets for the SatNav with a mount in the 'Van and another in our car, a Polo. I then swap the TomTom over as needed, but now with a larger 'van I need a GPS system that copes with the size of the vehicle I'm driving - hence the Huawei purchase. I'm hoping to canabalise a cheap Ebay tablet mount to use the existing Brodit bracket in the 'van. Hope that makes sense :unsure:

Have'nt come across that name "Brodit" before, will have a looksy.

I already had a large mount in a drawer here that originated from eBay, just been having a fiddle with it to see just how strong the suction is. It's quite a lumpy thing but has no branding on it so probably a Hong Kong special. I've no idea why I even got it, lol.

Going to put some dummy weight on it on a table and see how it copes rather than test it with a new tablet.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
As posted on DBK post I'm using a 10 tab A and does everything I need it to do including using it to watch F1 or similar 12v splitter from ciggy lighter and a tablet mount from fleabay yonks ago
Using site apps and trialing Here WeGo in this trip free download of maps etc ,so far so good but running parallel with a Garmin 760lmt .
IMG_20190801_222200~2.jpg

Sorry for bad photos ??
IMG_20190801_222446~2.jpg

IMG_20190801_222551~2.jpg
IMG_20190801_222653~2.jpg

Aubs

Free Member
Sep 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2014
I've plumped for a Lenovo Tab 4 Plus 10.1 - not much money to give it a whirl if nothing else (may shortly end up on the classifieds though, lol).

Trying to find a means to secure it to the dash could be a whole different problem. Maybe a series of magnetic mounts.

Take a look at one of these to mount it, it’s one of the best I’ve found. Made from aluminium and the suction cup is made of a soft sticky compound that securely fastens to a textured dash.
Amazon product ASIN B07SGWF66C

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back