It's not all bad for MH owners (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As much as GJH would argue (Morning Graham) he is not breaking any laws, so leave him be.

That said, the guy is just ignorant of human nature or stupid, staying so long in one place gets the curtain twitchers complaining. If it were me and I needed to be in the area for a while I'd have three or four similar places scoped out and move irregularly between them. Staying too long means it always ends in tears. Either the council will pass bye-laws or local idiots will chase him out or damage the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ukeman

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Medway Delta
Funster No
MH
Pilote C Class
Exp
Since 2013
No ones complained about my red bus conversion parked in front of it yet. I’ve got my blunderbuss ready. If you can’t find me, I’ll be in Sainsbury’s looking up the turkeys.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Jim you are right, human nature being what it is and we are all guilty toa greater or lesser extent to the "NIMBY" reflex. Just because one "can" does not always make is "wise"

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
No ones complained about my red bus conversion parked in front of it yet. I’ve got my blunderbuss ready. If you can’t find me, I’ll be in Sainsbury’s looking up the turkeys.
looking up the Turkeys .. what ?

Ukeman

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Medway Delta
Funster No
MH
Pilote C Class
Exp
Since 2013
Yup......not a lot goes on hereabouts. :cool:

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
There is a chap who parks up in a lay-by for days by us. Then goes, then comes back.

Nobody gives a hoot, he leaves no mess, not in the way etc.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Quite surprisingly the readers' comments below the article were very supportive of this motorhomer. Could be a noisy location when the road is busy.

One might speculate that he makes use of Sainsbug's loos otherwise the black tank wouldn't last 2 months without emptying.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I imagine it does get moved occasionally, just not when the 'twitchers' are watching. He may not be able to go where he usually does due to covid, eg is in a 'high risk' group, or not supposed to travel from tier to tier etc, his usual campsite may be closed, he may be working in the area (relief working, essential worker etc), he maybe can't go abroad etc, etc ... there are many reasons why he (or she) may be why stopping there.

I'd be more inclined to go and see if he/she is okay than whinge about it.

Mar 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Having stayed at the Ashford International recently I can confidently say, imho, the motorhome has raised the level of comfort in contrast to the hotel which is very tired inside. The only room I have stayed in that when you turn the light on it gets darker.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having stayed at the Ashford International recently I can confidently say, imho, the motorhome has raised the level of comfort in contrast to the hotel which is very tired inside. The only room I have stayed in that when you turn the light on it gets darker.
... it probably turned red ... :blusher:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As much as GJH would argue (Morning Graham) he is not breaking any laws, so leave him be.

That said, the guy is just ignorant of human nature or stupid, staying so long in one place gets the curtain twitchers complaining. If it were me and I needed to be in the area for a while I'd have three or four similar places scoped out and move irregularly between them. Staying too long means it always ends in tears. Either the council will pass bye-laws or local idiots will chase him out or damage the van.
Why would I argue Jim? :xsmile: You know I corresponded with the DoT many years ago to establish that there is no national legislation which either specifically permits or prohibits roadside camping :xsmile: That is why I often point out that highways land is not covered by the 1960 Act :xsmile:
It emerged in 2016 that LAs can use the Criminal Justice & Public Order Act 1994 ss 77/78 to prevent such camping if it becomes a nuisance. In this case, though, it appears that Kent County Council is not minded to do so.
See Here.

As you say, though, staying for so long is likely to cause complaints. That is what prompted West Sussex to act in 2016.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I suppose if I had a Motorhome parked outside of my home ( have not got a brick home yet as in Static caravan until January ) for days or weeks on end , trying to see way past it when driving car out of my drive, I would be getting agitated , especially as a Rate payer. You could say yes you can park up but not on my patch, and probably most on here would say the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back