Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Just wondering if anyone knows any campsites open at this time of year near Sandown. I am doing some agency work over there for a few weeks and was going to the Alverstone ponds CL but they are closing for maintenance work. Most of the ones I’ve found are shut down for winter. I have got a site near Newport but I will have my very elderly dog with me and would rather be as close as possible to where I’m camped.
Thanks for any help.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Not a CMC member but S4S has shown up

Stanwell Farm Bembridge(IOW), Isle of Wight, England, United Kingdom, 50.6696, -1.1027

Adgestone Club Site, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom, PO36 0HL 50.666893, -1.165351

There's also a motorhome pub site - The Fighting Cocks at Newport

Haven't been to IOW for years so can't really offer anymore help

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
there is a caravan club site in sandown we stayed on it a few years ago, pleasant enough

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
here it is

Southland Caravan Club Site, Sandown, Isle Of Wight

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Thanks all, have found a CL now.
The fighting cocks I’m assuming wouldn’t have hook up and as I’m going to be working and using a car I don’t think this would work for long term.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
these two have come up, dont know if they are open

upload_2018-12-28_13-2-23.png

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
PM me if you need anything while you're over here. We live in Brighstone but nowhere is very far away on the island :smiley: Sue

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
When are you thinking of coming over to the island

I am sort of already there, did a couple of weeks work before Xmas. Coming back on 1st January and have found a site, Borthwood Caravans, hoping it’ll be okay.

PM me if you need anything while you're over here. We live in Brighstone but nowhere is very far away on the island :smiley: Sue

Hopefully I won’t need anything, but would be grateful if you know a good vet, would like to register my dog in case anything dire happens because he’s nearly 16 and you just never know. Thanks.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
motorhoming 1979 ---- 2024
Hi, some friends of mine over wintered at Village way in lake, might be worth giving them a try . 01983 863279

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
There's a very good mobile vet, I'll get the number if you want. We use the vets in Carisbrooke and they are excellent. :smiley: Never been to Borthwood CL but it's close to Sandown and there are some very nice walks in that area. The red squirrel hide in the copse opposite is well worth a visit, take peanuts :smiley::smiley:

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
There's a very good mobile vet, I'll get the number if you want. We use the vets in Carisbrooke and they are excellent. :smiley: Never been to Borthwood CL but it's close to Sandown and there are some very nice walks in that area. The red squirrel hide in the copse opposite is well worth a visit, take peanuts :smiley::smiley:

I rang the mobile vet, but they have a waiting list, so won’t register him...:(
If you have the number for the Carisbrooke one you use that would be great. Thanks

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Hi, some friends of mine over wintered at Village way in lake, might be worth giving them a try . 01983 863279

Thanks, but I just read some reviews of this site and not sure it’s for me!

"I stayed at Village Way as part of a weekend camping holiday with four friends - we picked the site for its proximity to Shanklin. It was easy to get to by car, and there was plenty of space to park.
On arrival in the mid-afternoon the place seemed very quiet, and knocking/ringing the bell to the main house yielded no response. Eventually my friend went around the back and found the lady who runs the place dozing off in a chair. Once roused, she was friendly, if a little vague, and we paid £15 each to camp for two nights. The lady told us where we could pitch our tents, told us where the showers/loos were, and left us to it - so far so good. We grabbed our kit from the car and wandered round the corner past a whole load of immobile and very decrepit-looking caravans, covered in lichen. The grass pitches were separated by cypress hedges and were large and relatively flat - our 2 tents had plenty of space. The first thing we saw on rounding the corner to our pitch was a large dog turd on the edge of it - not ideal on a warm July afternoon.
We pitched our tents (stepping over the "welcome present") and went off to Shanklin. When we got back in the late evening it was clear that this isn't just a campsite/caravan park - it's a traveller site. We were left alone, but it very much felt like we were camping on people's doorsteps. Later, as were all nodding off, there was a worrying sloshing sound and an acrid stench of sewage washed over the entire area. It sounded very close, and for a moment I wondered if someone's septic tank had spilt, but no tsunami carried us off, and in due course the throat-clawing stink died away.
In the morning we were woken by noises. As well as the proximity of Shanklin airstrip - busy at that time of year, with a plane taking off or landing every couple of minutes - there was a great deal of noise generated by a couple of the "locals" mounting up on 2-stroke scooters, taking off with great clouds of exhaust, and dogs barking.
I went to use the shower block - 20p for a 5-minute warm dribble, which I was fine with, but which was of little use for the girls. The shower block itself was very basic, not much more than a shed really - while it did have lockable cabins for privacy, there was complete exposure to the wind, so using the shower in cool weather would definitely be a bracing experience. The whole place was crawling with enormous spiders. The toilets attached had not been cleaned in some time, with scarcely-functioning loos, no soap and only one tap out of six in the gents working. The girls reported that their facilities were worse.
Our experience the following evening and morning was the same - more local comings and goings, a few spaced-out-looking vilagers wandering about in string vests, no change in the state of the bathroom facilities. "

And another...

Ok, where do I start.....
We arrived 'on site' and eventually, to our horror realised that the very disheveled looking gentleman with the can of Special Brew in hand was the site owner - the owner of what can only be described as 'Steptoe and Son's' scrapyard. The whole area was littered with junk-lots of junk....
Accommodation:-
The caravan was very substandard, smelly, dirty, and in need of a proper clean-and several light bulbs. The utensils and cooking facilities should have had a health warning on them.... Disappointed to say the least...
It would appear the site has permanent residents on there-if you've seen the film 'Deliverance' you'll know where I'm going with this, if not, be warned. Lock up your kids, valueables and pets. However, if you have several limbs missing, one eye, play the Banjo and your Sisters your Mum, it's the place for you.........

:xrofl: :xrofl:

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Took Ruby our cockapoo puppy for her second vaccination today and there's a notice saying that Carisbrook vets have opened a new branch in Sandown so that will be nearer for you if (hopefully not) you need to use them:smiley:

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Took Ruby our cockapoo puppy for her second vaccination today and there's a notice saying that Carisbrook vets have opened a new branch in Sandown so that will be nearer for you if (hopefully not) you need to use them:smiley:

That’s great. Hope I don’t need them, but I need to register him for emergencies, as the last thing I want is to be scrabbling around to find a vet if something happens.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back