Is this the first real independent “Aire” in the UK! (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I think the owner should be applauded as he’s meeting the requirements of Motorhomes passing right by his door.
A familiar sight for all us with experience French Aires etc but very much needed in the UK, Spend the night or Drop your waste and top up with water.
Please no comments on “ l won’t spend £10 to park up” you don’t have to just drive past.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Saw this originally via CAMPRA and really applaud the initiative. We would certainly make a point of staying at the farm when we’re next in the area.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sounds good. There needs to be something in it for the local economy for us to be welcomed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I don't think she is the first (I could be wrong, I often am!) but by golly she's got it right! and what a beautiful location it is, with easy access, and ideally situated if you're coming to Skye or going up the tourist route via Strathcarron.
I think it took about 3 weeks from her first enquiry to having the place ready to go.

So that's true get-up-and-go but also quick and positive action from Highland Council which, after last year's fiasco, is backing any and all sensible initiatives to manage and support this year's anticipated m/h & campervan tourist influx. They are working well with CAMpRA and accepting lots of useful information and advice, and are to be praised for their approach.

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Sounds good. There needs to be something in it for the local economy for us to be welcomed.
I think in this particular instance it being on the NC500 and many local to the route having a negative on Motorhomes generally that seeing some organization in tackling the previous and still lack of facilities on the route will encourage more Aires and a feel good factor for said locals.

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It looks very nice but it's not an Aire it's just a campsite on a farm.
It wouldn’t nessasarily be my choice as we have experienced so many fabulous ones over the Channel,however,l have stayed so many times on similar Aires that offer nothing more than 4m wide parking space when l have had no other choice.
It offers nothing more than an overnight stop and a service point,it’s not a Campsite, it’s clearly an Aire.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It looks very nice but it's not an Aire it's just a campsite on a farm.
... and she has never referred to it as an aire, she's always called it 'overnight parking and facilities for self contained motorhomes'.

Highland Council are promoting the development of a network of locations that they are considering calling an Airidh (rough equivalent in Scottish Gaelic of aire).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It is a typical britstops or France passion, in which it's brilliant, but its still not an Aire.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is a typical britstops or France passion, in which it's brilliant, but its still not an Aire.
Why isn't it an aire? It provides parking just for MHs so isn't a campsite as they don't have this restriction normally, it also has servicing facilities which some aires don't have. Oh and you can just call in and do your services if you wish, just like an aire.

What makes it NOT an aire?

This is a great facility for MHers in an area where it could be difficult to get them otherwise so I'm at a loss to know why you are trying to 'pick holes' in the name of it!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What, please is your definition of an aire?
An Aire is a parking space in a town or village provided for motorhomes to park, either free or a small charge for the benefit of the community.
This is just parking in a field for the benefit of one person.
There are thousands of similar CLS that do the same thing, but none of them are Aires.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You can stay at Jim place for a tenner but I'm sure he doesn't call it an Aire.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
I don't think she is the first (I could be wrong, I often am!) but by golly she's got it right! and what a beautiful location it is, with easy access, and ideally situated if you're coming to Skye or going up the tourist route via Strathcarron.
I think it took about 3 weeks from her first enquiry to having the place ready to go.

So that's true get-up-and-go but also quick and positive action from Highland Council which, after last year's fiasco, is backing any and all sensible initiatives to manage and support this year's anticipated m/h & campervan tourist influx. They are working well with CAMpRA and accepting lots of useful information and advice, and are to be praised for their approach.
It really looks like Highland Council along wth CAMpRA ,Forestry and Land Scotland,The Scottish Tourist Board ,The road to the isles initiative for park up facilities, as well as numerous other Local Councils are all getting onside with providing facilities for motorhomers.

I really hope commercial " vested interest " individuals and old boy networks are firmly put in and kept in their place with regard to not being given free reign to interfere in all of these positive initiatives ........I think for example , the Forestry and Land sleepover scheme can possibly be taken as the vested interest crowd being put in their place and basically shut out.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
An Aire is a parking space in a town or village provided for motorhomes to park, either free or a small charge for the benefit of the community.
There are thousands of similar CLS that do the same thing, but none of them are Aires.
Ah, I've got it now, it's because the income is going to the landowner rather than the local authority, nothing to do with facility itself. In which case it is a private aire.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
French “Aire” = English “Area”. ”Aire de campingcar” = “Motorhome Area”, any area designated solely for motorhomes. Have stopped on many that are not in villages Or for the benefit of the local community.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Just sent a message saying thank you from us all.

To be applauded in my mind and definitely on the list of places to stop when I’m up there again
Have already done this via CAMPRA as I have been following this since Holly’s first post on there asking for advice. Good luck to her and will certainly be visiting if circumstances allow us to get up there.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just sent a message saying thank you from us all.

To be applauded in my mind and definitely on the list of places to stop when I’m up there again
I was gonna do that too but thought others might so didn't want them to be bombarded with messages! Are they on facebook?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I honestly don't see why everyone is so worked up about this place, we have been parking in farmers fields for donkeys years, how is it different from when you see a sign camping at the side of the road outside a farm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back