Is this the first real independent “Aire” in the UK! (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Loads of them in Europe
Odd that, all the Aires I've been on have the dump to one side, most needing a lid to be lifted, as said, never seen a drive over black waste dump, lots of grey 'drains' though.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Odd that, all the Aires I've been on have the dump to one side, most needing a lid to be lifted, as said, never seen a drive over black waste dump, lots of grey 'drains' though.
Are you possibly seeing the combined Black/Grey ground level dump point as Grey only, most of the ones I have seen abroad are combined(y) or they are after I have used them ;) the lid lifting is for cassette users.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Are you possibly seeing the combined Black/Grey ground level dump point as Grey only, most of the ones I have seen abroad are combined(y) or they are after I have used them ;) the lid lifting is for cassette users.
Yes. Majority end up in the same place and grey and black is both sewer material

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
Settle in North Yorkshire Greenfoot car park £5 overnight stop no services and you’ve also got to pay during the day. Next to it is the rugby club for £8.50 per day there’s water, toilets, a bar and somewhere to sit out

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
... and she has never referred to it as an aire, she's always called it 'overnight parking and facilities for self contained motorhomes'.

Highland Council are promoting the development of a network of locations that they are considering calling an Airidh (rough equivalent in Scottish Gaelic of aire).
We stayed at Bonar Bridge last night. The community are trying to install facilities on that car park; have got the necessary funding, bought land from Highland Council but have been refused planning permission because SEPA want the flood risk to be reduced to 1 in 1000 year risk from the current 1 in 200 year risk. Planning permission has also been refused for other proposed sites including Kinlochewe and Kessock. It makes me wonder if their supposed support for aires is just to placate those in the area who were complaining last year.

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
This area (=aire) has been open for a while

Edit: Perhaps, the important word in the thread title is 'idependant'. Sorry, I miissed that, but its posted now.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Canterbury Park Ride is a drive over. + plenty in europe . Even find them on French service areas.
That's interesting, whilst I've seen many grey waste drive over's, never seen one for black waste.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Great to see some Pay-As-You-Go type facilities being created. When we first started camping in Poland, Dominika always looked at me rather strangely when I said that we should call and book a pitch as it simply isn't really done here. Maybe on some of the more fancy, "retreat" type places, but nearly everywhere here is happy for you to just rock up and grab a spot (I'm sure Polish camp[site owners would laugh their as**s off at the idea of pitch markers and boundaries...it's more "Squeeze them in until it's impossible to squeeze anymore!" over here).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back