DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I feel like I have had a punch in the guts.

In September, our trip to Ireland was cut short due to the Fiat Comfortmatic gearbox unable to select 6th gear.

The Carlisle NEVAT have so far proved to be not as on the ball as I would have liked. I have spoken with the poor receptionist and she tells me the work is likely to cost in excess of £3500. WTF? The engineer is always out or not available.

So, it is official, the worst auto box of all time is the Fiat Comfortmatic.

For what it's worth DTC Codes are P2915-72 and P2919-64.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've not had much to do with them for repairs, but their Iveco parts are always too expensive. A gear lever assembly from them was nearly £200, I got one from Coastal Motorhomes for £69.
I wish I could recommend you someone else in the area cos £3.5k for a gearbox repair is ludicrous, they're obviously just thinking of replacing the complete box by the sound of it ?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
The hydraulic actuator/gear selector pack for the gearbox was quoted to a friend at £2,500 4 years ago. That's not including fitting.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I've not had much to do with them for repairs, but their Iveco parts are always too expensive. A gear lever assembly from them was nearly £200, I got one from Coastal Motorhomes for £69.
I wish I could recommend you someone else in the area cos £3.5k for a gearbox repair is ludicrous, they're obviously just thinking of replacing the complete box by the sound of it ?
My son has VW seven speed car automatic. The 8 speed is very reliable but the 7 speed uses effectively two gear boxes, one for the odds and the other for the evens, I gather. He was charge about £3.5 when it went wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Get another garage, you can pick up a refurbished box for a third of what they asking

Broken Link Removed

I have no links to seller just first one on a search.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It's not the gearbox that's usually the problem, it's the garage's lack of knowledge. Get them to enable clutch auto adjust and off ya go. If they say ? then point proven, if they say already done or couldn't find a straight stretch of road then fair doos there may be something mechanically wrong.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We've just had our Comfortmatic gearbox repaired under warranty by NET&V (York). They have service and repair contracts with public authority vehicles and handle lots of Ducato ambulances etc. They are FIAT Professional workshops and I believe they are best placed to sort your problem but I understand they are very expensive going by their quote of £324 incl VAT for an oil and filter change.
Ours apparently needed a new flywheel and clutch which is about 2 days work. However, because they prioritise non-warranty work, (FIAT pays them less?) it took them 10 weeks to get around to the repair.

Apr 7, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e line
Exp
A bit of a trek for you but I had a very poor experience with NE iveco dealers, try a call to the Billingham dealer, same company but the difference in customer service is chalk and cheese, I know of at least 2 HGV recovery companies who won't reccomend breakdown recovery to the Newcastle-upon-Tyne branch.

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Thanks for all your support everyone. I am just not used to this kind of stuff and it really did come as a shock. I will have to sell my Sunday Drive (Z4) to pay for it. Such is life, could be worse, could live in Ukraine, poor sods.

As for converting to manual, I need automatic due to disability.

Never having a comfortmatic anything again.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
So many report issues with this auto box.
What is considered the BEST auto box in which vehicle chassis.?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
So many report issues with this auto box.
What is considered the BEST auto box in which vehicle chassis.?
Great question, but on the comfortmatic, I would bet there’s at least 75% of them that have no problems at all, I know a kid with a 3.0L comfortmatic work van that’s done 250k miles and never had a spanner on it other than servicing and consumables.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Great question, but on the comfortmatic, I would bet there’s at least 75% of them that have no problems at all, I know a kid with a 3.0L comfortmatic work van that’s done 250k miles and never had a spanner on it other than servicing and consumables.
We rented a RV in Aussy with this auto box. It was propper crap. Didn't know what gear it should be in, searching for gears all the time.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
75% no problems means 25%with problems.
How many 1000's of these have been made.
So 25%of that, IMO is far too many.
To put it in context, if you own a comfortmatic you have a 1in4 chance of having a duff one.
Not very good odds !

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
75% no problems means 25%with problems.
How many 1000's of these have been made.
So 25%of that, IMO is far too many.
To put it in context, if you own a comfortmatic you have a 1in4 chance of having a duff one.
Not very good odds !
My carthago has a comfortmatic, (42k miles so far) my sonic before had a comfortmatic, (17k miles) both coupled up to a 3.0L engine with zero problems on either. The 75% was a guess, could be more could be less but you only hear about this box when people have problems with it.
If the 25% figure is right, out of that there could be 5% with genuine problems like the OP and possibly 20% not driving it correctly or trying to drive it like a true auto box! It is a crude box, and can’t be rushed, it is what it is, I drive mine like I drove the old Cat 771 dumptruck we used to have at work, it pretty much drives the same😁😁
40CFEB88-4A65-4085-8819-C4D83B64D5D5.jpeg

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I know nothing about Comfortmatic boxes but, in my x250 Ducato, there is not much ratio difference between my 5th & 6th gear. Cannot it not be held in 5th and used until an exchange box can be sourced at a decent price? :unsure:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The comfortmatic will always be slightly more efficient than any of the true slush boxes so I'm sticking with mine, especially as all the problems of 'gear not available' and limp modes have now been sorted for just a few minutes of my time. How garages and dealers can get away with charging £1000's to fit a new box and selespeed actuator when not required is bordering on criminal

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I think Manxcat had problems with his Comfortmatic gear box and needed recovering from France. Not sure it’s fixed yet but he may share experience with OP?

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
My carthago has a comfortmatic, (42k miles so far) my sonic before had a comfortmatic, (17k miles) both coupled up to a 3.0L engine with zero problems on either. The 75% was a guess, could be more could be less but you only hear about this box when people have problems with it.
If the 25% figure is right, out of that there could be 5% with genuine problems like the OP and possibly 20% not driving it correctly or trying to drive it like a true auto box! It is a crude box, and can’t be rushed, it is what it is, I drive mine like I drove the old Cat 771 dumptruck we used to have at work, it pretty much drives the same😁😁
View attachment 676986
Oh come on Westy. Still carrying around that photo of a lost love. Let it go, she's not coming back after all this time.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I had to change a brand new deathless due to comformattic, used the MoHo twice , twice breakdown
both times in France , f####n piece of shit , regardless of reliability it is a horrible box to use , biggest problem is very few people have good knowledge of how to fix them so just change the hole mechanism at our cost , good garages avoid repairing as fiat don’t pay well ,we couldn’t risk keeping the MoHo , I felt it was cheaper to cut our losses & get a new MoHo with the new ZF9 auto which is awesome

6BDA2EF9-6F12-4482-B413-1AFC78A867DD.jpeg
60111851-91C1-4662-9EEA-320937AC134B.jpeg

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Oh come on Westy. Still carrying around that photo of a lost love. Let it go, she's not coming back after all this time.
No she’s not, she’s still grafting in Egypt, she was better than that pile of s##t that replaced it but hey ho!

I still think it’s the nearest thing I’ve driven that resembles the comfortmatic gearbox. As I’ve said I have the comfortmatic in my moho, but I’d be scared to death of having an agile that’s fitter to the Iveco!
Different boxs, same principle, same/different fears🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
How about a poll of Funsters who have or have had ComfortMatic gearboxes? Or a spreadsheet?

We would need to have categories for the X250 and X290 vans and their engines. MTPLM and mileage too. We need to know whether the problem was diagnosed properly as due to the ECU, or actuators / hydraulics, or clutch / dual mass flywheel failure. The latter being an isolated problem with some MHers with 6 speed manual gearboxes.

I feel sorry for the unlucky owners who have posted about their problems and the apparent inability of some Fiat workshops to diagnose and fix the issues quickly and relatively cheaply. Including the set-up and calibration procedure being applied incompetently as WESTY66 said. These are sorry tales of woe, but a figure such as 25% is only speculation or guesswork.

My concern is that this kind of anecdotal experience is giving rise to a general phobia about ComfortMatics that will hit residual values for those who have reliable ones. Dealers will grab any excuse to mark down trade-ins.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I had to change a brand new deathless due to comformattic, used the MoHo twice , twice breakdown
both times in France , f####n piece of shit , regardless of reliability it is a horrible box to use , biggest problem is very few people have good knowledge of how to fix them so just change the hole mechanism at our cost , good garages avoid repairing as fiat don’t pay well ,we couldn’t risk keeping the MoHo , I felt it was cheaper to cut our losses & get a new MoHo with the new ZF9 auto which is awesome

View attachment 676998View attachment 676999
That's good photo on back o truck Scotch mist . Surprised front wheel of truck still on road! 🤣🤣

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
As long as I can push a clutch I will drive a manual.
I don't ever see me getting a comformatic driven vehicle even in a gift
But why do folks have so much problem's with them.
Bill

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The nice thing with a stick shift is you can still drive it if an issue occurs. This is an option if the auto poops it’s self.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
As long as I can push a clutch I will drive a manual.
I don't ever see me getting a comformatic driven vehicle even in a gift
But why do folks have so much problem's with them.
Bill
Bill, people drive them like a true liquid auto. They are nothing like one.
You have to drive them as they are, a electronic gear change!
Strangley enough certain parts of the pfa group call these boxes just that. If the box isn’t changing correctly for you, use the manual selector.
No with the 3.0 but with the same tech box I covered well over 100k and drove it very quick, but I used the flappy paddles that mine had.
Remember these box’s haven’t had much change in ages that’s why people think the zf box is so good- it’s a different type

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back