Is technology passing me by (-; (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My son flew in overnight from NY, he is now connected via wifi through his phone to my TV and watching programs that he recorded on his home tv in NY while he was crossing the Atlantic last night. Don't ask me but it seems pretty clever to me.
Why cant we do this while in Europe in the motorhome rather than having these things on the roof..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You can, buy a slingbox for home and as long as you have unlimited WiFi abroad your sorted.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can, buy a slingbox for home and as long as you have unlimited WiFi abroad your sorted.
Yep, just need a fast reliable connection, do what your son does go into someone you know house and use their broadband.:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Will this not work the same using a campsite wifi or even tethering.
In theory yes, but the stumbling block is the fast connection required. Camp WiFi will struggle especially if everyone else is doing the same.
Tethering to a UK based broadband like Three would have been too slow but since the cancellation of roaming charges there have been several reports of much faster connections. However, video will eat data so this isn't something you could do very often I think.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
My son flew in overnight from NY, he is now connected via wifi through his phone to my TV and watching programs that he recorded on his home tv in NY while he was crossing the Atlantic last night. Don't ask me but it seems pretty clever to me.
Why cant we do this while in Europe in the motorhome rather than having these things on the roof..
You can,but the cost of flying to NY and back probably means it's not worth it:D:D;);)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
There are loads of ways of doing similar.

If you want to use your phones data, then you can use something like a Chromecast plugged into the back of your TV as an easy solution.

In services like Netflix you can set the data rate - better for mobile data and camp Wi-Fi.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Ok....it's passed me by and currently running rings round me! :eek::confused::rolleyes::sleep:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
If you have one of threes current advanced plans you can watch Netflix and it doesn't come out of your plans data allowance. It's called Go Binge.

http://www.three.co.uk/go-binge

It isn't included in their essential plans or if you're still on one of their older cheaper plans.

Didn't know this.

I'm planning on having a couple of data sim contracts when we start full-timing next year and Netflix usage was a massive part of my calculations (Missus likes it on in background)

Think one of them will now be 3 :)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
£12 a month with 4Gb and unlimited mins that's good especially as the sreaming doesn't use you data allowance.
The devil is in the detail:( quote ............Additional content, such as adverts, may use regular data. ......... end quote. Nothing is for nothing.

Malcolm

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
£12 a month with 4Gb and unlimited mins that's good especially as the sreaming doesn't use you data allowance.
But does it do this (unlimited streaming) outside the UK? I would be surprised if it does - but I could be wrong. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've got it now - Nitflixs. Unlimited scratching :)

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I would be saying to him.
"Son, you come all the way from NY to see me, and Im that boring! You want to watch American TV.:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back