LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Motorhoming is great fun even with all the hiccups. I will say regardless of what you pay it should be fit for purpose. They are mass produced albeit a bit slower than cars which is the problem as they are always playing catch-up and sometimes the quality control can be lax. Another issue I believe is the state of the roads as they have deteriorated considerably over the last 10-15 years due to lack of investment following the banking crisis, and that's not just the UK. I am forever retightening screws and bolts that vibrate loose. I've just got used to it over the last 40+ years.
Stick with it as once you have it all sorted it'll be worth it - just carry a few tools with you.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Nothing is catastrophic but can someone tell me a) is this to be expected from motor-homing
Yes IMO. They are a collection of reasonable quality kit thrown together as fast as possible and price is no guarantee of good assembly. A decent van will be waterproof and that's the most you can expect. The rest will need assembling correctly as and when you need to do so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Bought a 3 yr old autocruise forte back to Ireland last October. I think their reputation(Swift in general) is not great but an autosleeper fairford is 10K more for roughly similar spec and could not justify the extra spend. I have been doing a lot of upgrading to an already highly spec'ed van and I must say I am not unhappy with the build for 95% of what they have done. Most vans use the same kit - truma, thetford, CBE etc. I think a van is always a work in progress and there is no perfect van - there's always a compromise and you have to accept given the complexity and low sales volume there's always going to be issues. If no one lived in a house and 6 billion people lived in campervans I think you'd have vicious competition and perfect product and the odd few who lived in houses would be complaining of things that got legislated for decades ago. Enjoy the van and the odd issue - look upon it as a learning opportunity.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back