hotrod91

Free Member
Jul 28, 2008
Funster No
I ordered this item from wedodigital a short while ago

ORDER DETAILS

Cart Reference: 6781-7632989
Date: 04-08-2008

1 x Vason 19.0" HD Ready Freeview TV + DVD Player(VAS-DVD190B) / VAS-DVD190B 249.001 x Kingston 1GB SD Memory Card(KIN-SD-1024ST) / KIN-SD-1024ST 6.80
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delivery: 7.57 (DHL NEXT DAY)
VAT: 38.42

TOTAL: 257.90

Problem is that despite me having an private email from them and despite it being on their site that this is a specially regulated 12v tv im not so sure after it blew up the other week, we normally try to unplug it when we start the engine of the MH but i said to the wife that i would prefer it to be done albeit not imperative as it was regulated, well she did just that, she started the engine whilst it was plugged into the 12v and guess what, the tv would not work again after that, here is the email she sen when i enquired to the nature of the fault

Hi there,

The fault reported on our returns log is as follows:
"TV does not work, standby light does not illuminate, only used 12V adaptor as I have no reason to use this as a 240v."
Our returns log indicates only "fault confirmed". The fault was likely connected to the power supply on the mainboard. Without returning the unit to the manufacturer, we can not confirm this.

Regards
Sam

WeDoDigital Customer Services

Im concerned that this tv does not really stand up to what they say, so as they have replaced it do i go and keep trying to see if the tv works after the engine is started, now im sure some of the sarcastic ones amongst us will say well unplug it but with 2 children and a drippy wife this is the reason i spent double and bought one that was regulated to prevent any problems, also i notice they no longer seem to sell this item which may be a pointer, question is whats best to do now??

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
My 12v TV did the same thing and I can only put it down to being plugged in permanently to the 12v supply of the van.

I can only assume, even though it was not switched on, the surge at startup caused some damage to the internal inverter.Unfortunately ours was out of warranty when this happened.(Not the same model)

It'll be interesting if it did happen to fail again and a bit ominous, as you say, that they have stopped marketing the unit.As you are only 1 month into the warranty period I assume there will be no problem if the fault reoccurs.Just the underlying worry if it happens when the unit warranty runs out.Was this issue of being connected when starting discussed with the supplier when the replacement/fix was arranged?

Steve.

Last edited:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I don't fully understand what the appliance instructions are, do they actually say that it can be operated from a car cigar socket, and do they provide you with a specific lead for doing the same,

Have you actually discussed the way you want to use it with the suppliers as that would be the best way, as if they don't specifically say that it will work in the way you want you could invalidate your warranty ?

12 volt systems on a vehicle run at up to 14+ volts when the alternator is turning (engine running) and most items need some form or regulation to be able to deal with this increase e.g. 12 to 14+. Some people have reported that there TVs work OK with these fluctuations,

It does appear from what you are saying that yours can't deal with the over voltage, or the adaptor for the Cigar socket didn't provide any protection, albeit that is assuming that the problem was actually a direct result of over voltage, it could just have been coincidence, and if they supply a 12 volt cable and there is no specific instruction in the handbook to tell you to disconnect it then i would assume it was perhaps just a coincidence ?

Subject to what the suppliers/manufacturers say, You may want to look at purchasing a 12 volt regulator from somewhere like Maplins they will advise you on the item most suitable for your application as this hopefully will be able to provide some level of (surge over voltage) protection when you start the engine, albeit if the appalince has its own lead I don't know if you really need to do this ?

I ordered this item from wedodigital a short while ago

ORDER DETAILS

Cart Reference: 6781-7632989
Date: 04-08-2008

1 x Vason 19.0" HD Ready Freeview TV + DVD Player(VAS-DVD190B) / VAS-DVD190B 249.001 x Kingston 1GB SD Memory Card(KIN-SD-1024ST) / KIN-SD-1024ST 6.80
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delivery: 7.57 (DHL NEXT DAY)
VAT: 38.42

TOTAL: 257.90

Problem is that despite me having an private email from them and despite it being on their site that this is a specially regulated 12v tv im not so sure after it blew up the other week, we normally try to unplug it when we start the engine of the MH but i said to the wife that i would prefer it to be done albeit not imperative as it was regulated, well she did just that, she started the engine whilst it was plugged into the 12v and guess what, the tv would not work again after that, here is the email she sen when i enquired to the nature of the fault

Hi there,

The fault reported on our returns log is as follows:
"TV does not work, standby light does not illuminate, only used 12V adaptor as I have no reason to use this as a 240v."
Our returns log indicates only "fault confirmed". The fault was likely connected to the power supply on the mainboard. Without returning the unit to the manufacturer, we can not confirm this.

Regards
Sam

WeDoDigital Customer Services

Im concerned that this tv does not really stand up to what they say, so as they have replaced it do i go and keep trying to see if the tv works after the engine is started, now im sure some of the sarcastic ones amongst us will say well unplug it but with 2 children and a drippy wife this is the reason i spent double and bought one that was regulated to prevent any problems, also i notice they no longer seem to sell this item which may be a pointer, question is whats best to do now??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hotrod91

Free Member
Jul 28, 2008
Funster No
Ok, here is the email i sent them before i bought the tv. Also i will include the writing they put in their adverts direct from their site. Another problem is that usually the warranty is up to 12 months from the original purchase even if they have replaced it half a dozen times. I must say i would be very wary of using wedodigital even if this is a manufacturer problem as you cannot call them and only email them and then they take a day or two to reply and then you reply then another day or two and they are not really very helpful at all to be honest.
-----------------------------------------------------------

> Enquiry:
> Hi, looking to buy the 19 inch vason today, need to know it 100% definately works off 12v and by that i mean it is regulated to run off of a motorhome or anything else for that matter that uses a 12v cigarette lighter type connection. Reason for asking is today alot of tellys are 240v and a transformer steps this down to 12v but there is no protection because as you probably know a car puts out 10.5 ish to 13.8 ish volts which would blow the screen, look forward to ordering this today as soon as your email arrives.
> Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes, I can confirm that the unit is designed especially for use in a
motorhome. It includes an internally regulated power supply, 12V-24V,
with a 1.8V margin.

We also recommend the Meos DVD200B, which again includes an internally
regulated power supply.
This is very high quality unit. Link:
Link Removed

Kind regards
Sam
---------------------------------------------------------
When is a 12V TV not a 12V TV?
There are a number of TV’s on the market which are incorrectly described as a ‘12V TV’, simply because they operate on 12V power. However, these TV’s are not specifically designed for the leisure market and often fail to include a 12V power cable as standard. Furthermore, they are not built to withstand the testing conditions which the leisure market environment presents. In particular, the power supply is not designed to operate with a 12V leisure battery which, as we know, can fluctuate between 10 – 14V or more. A voltage ‘drop’ or ‘spike’ can therefore damage sensitive equipment such as the TFTs (Thin Film Transistors) which are used in an LCD TV panel. A true 12V TV will incorporate a regulated internal power supply, or include a regulated 12V adaptor which has been tested and approved for leisure use. Brands which offer true 12V TV’s include Thompson, Meos, Avtex, Sevic.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ok, here is the email i sent them before i bought the tv. Also i will include the writing they put in their adverts direct from their site. Another problem is that usually the warranty is up to 12 months from the original purchase even if they have replaced it half a dozen times. I must say i would be very wary of using wedodigital even if this is a manufacturer problem as you cannot call them and only email them and then they take a day or two to reply and then you reply then another day or two and they are not really very helpful at all to be honest.
-----------------------------------------------------------

> Enquiry:
> Hi, looking to buy the 19 inch vason today, need to know it 100% definately works off 12v and by that i mean it is regulated to run off of a motorhome or anything else for that matter that uses a 12v cigarette lighter type connection. Reason for asking is today alot of tellys are 240v and a transformer steps this down to 12v but there is no protection because as you probably know a car puts out 10.5 ish to 13.8 ish volts which would blow the screen, look forward to ordering this today as soon as your email arrives.
> Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes, I can confirm that the unit is designed especially for use in a
motorhome. It includes an internally regulated power supply, 12V-24V,
with a 1.8V margin.

We also recommend the Meos DVD200B, which again includes an internally
regulated power supply.
This is very high quality unit. Link:
Link Removed

Kind regards
Sam
---------------------------------------------------------
When is a 12V TV not a 12V TV?
There are a number of TV’s on the market which are incorrectly described as a ‘12V TV’, simply because they operate on 12V power. However, these TV’s are not specifically designed for the leisure market and often fail to include a 12V power cable as standard. Furthermore, they are not built to withstand the testing conditions which the leisure market environment presents. In particular, the power supply is not designed to operate with a 12V leisure battery which, as we know, can fluctuate between 10 – 14V or more. A voltage ‘drop’ or ‘spike’ can therefore damage sensitive equipment such as the TFTs (Thin Film Transistors) which are used in an LCD TV panel. A true 12V TV will incorporate a regulated internal power supply, or include a regulated 12V adaptor which has been tested and approved for leisure use. Brands which offer true 12V TV’s include Thompson, Meos, Avtex, Sevic.

Hi
I have a 20" Meos TV bought from We do Digital. It has a 12V Plug and then an adaptor to use it with 230Volts. Seems ok to me. I checked with we do digital before I bought it. They said it was specifically manufactured for the leisure industry. I still have the email.

Maybe you were just unlucky. I hope thats the case.

Cheers
Jim :Smile:

OP
OP
H

hotrod91

Free Member
Jul 28, 2008
Funster No
Well here is the nicest and most helpful email i have yet to recieve, strange how its all of a sudden turned nice since she knew i posted on here!! Anyway i shall give them the benefit of the doubt and post their email in its entirety.
Two things become apparent though, firstly she still cant tell me what was actually wrong with the tv i mean it only takes her to pop into the warehouse and ask secondly i still wouldnt buy from wedodigital again as the customer services is appaling, now i dont mid buying on the internet but that does not mean the only way i can contact someone is via email which can take a day or two to reply to, its simply not good enough maybe Sam is inundated with returns!!! The way the tv was mended was second to none and im very very pleased with this side of their business.
------------------

I can confirm that the model ordered, the VAS-DVD190B, is designed especially for use in the leisure market. In particular, it is capable of withstanding voltage spikes / drops which are common with leisure batteries. The unit is regulated internally, directly on the main board and will accept a 12V or 24V input. This model has been used with a 12V leisure battery by many customers, and us, without error. We understand from the manufacture that there is +/- 2V margin. It is likely that the 12V adaptor of the model received originally was faulty, or there was a fault on the mainboard of the unit itself.

With reference to the post on motorhomefun, I wonder if you add your comment below to the thread to as to create a fair picture of the service?
"I must say that as far as i can see that part of your company is of extremely high standard and im grateful for that"

Regards
Sam

OP
OP
H

hotrod91

Free Member
Jul 28, 2008
Funster No
Jim? Are you saying you have happily started the engine with the tv still connected to the socket?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Jim? Are you saying you have happily started the engine with the tv still connected to the socket?

I havent tried that because the telly goes away when were driving. I have a 12V socket in my dash which is there specifically for 12V appliances.

I do not put the plug into the cigar lighter socket.

The manual tells me not to use the cigar socket for anything other than lighting fags.

Hope it works out for you

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I havent tried that because the telly goes away when were driving. I have a 12V socket in my dash which is there specifically for 12V appliances.

I do not put the plug into the cigar lighter socket.

The manual tells me not to use the cigar socket for anything other than lighting fags.

Hope it works out for you

Alan, just a bit extra. I just realsied that I didnt buy the telly from we do digital, I found it there but my wife found the same telly on ebay being sold cheaper from another supplier as a special.

I have bought stuff from them in the past with no problem.

Its logical to assume that when plugged in to your engine batttery without the engine running that you will get a constant voltage and so there shouldn't be a problem.

As soon as you fire upn the engine its a fair assumption that you will get a voltage surge. You may also get a varying voltage whilst driving whenever you throttle up or down.

I think the safest bet is to only have the telly on when you are static and the engine is switched off.

Cheers

OP
OP
H

hotrod91

Free Member
Jul 28, 2008
Funster No
Jim i dont mean to sound disrespectful but your post is complete and utter rubbish, anyone that has read the thread will see that it is directed to the fact that the tv may blow when the voltage is raised despite the manufacturer and retailer saying it will be ok.
Thats like you saying Ladas are the best car in the world because you have one in your garage and its 30 years old and its never let you down but have never taken it anywhere!!
The fact is (incase you dont understand) that this tv is designed to be used at roughly speaking 10 to 14 volts, you are choosing to put nothing in a 12v socket other than a fag lighter to light your cigarrette and you probably dont even need it coz you probably dont even smoke!
12v sockets run anything 12v up to the maximum amperage it can handle. Please dont try to help when you havent even read the thread.
I have said things before like, say, Fiat Puntos arerubbish because the engine blew up or something and someone says no they are brillliant becuase mine has never blown up.....well thats obvious isnt it!!!
Now go and plug your tv in and start the engine and when it blows your knackered because i dont reckon they do as they say they do and are not regulated.
One things for certain i would seriously like to hear from ANYBODY who has more than once turned on their engine whilst the tv is connected and what their experience is. I really dont want to hear anybody say what a great tv they have and anything else not connected to the thread lol, i hope i dont get anyone on my case for being rude but come on the guy really did post a bit of a daft thing didnt he.

Sorry Jim, just reread it it does sound lie your trying to genuinely help but you didmiss the point by a country mile!!

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Jim i dont mean to sound disrespectful but your post is complete and utter rubbish, anyone that has read the thread will see that it is directed to the fact that the tv may blow when the voltage is raised despite the manufacturer and retailer saying it will be ok.
Thats like you saying Ladas are the best car in the world because you have one in your garage and its 30 years old and its never let you down but have never taken it anywhere!!
The fact is (incase you dont understand) that this tv is designed to be used at roughly speaking 10 to 14 volts, you are choosing to put nothing in a 12v socket other than a fag lighter to light your cigarrette and you probably dont even need it coz you probably dont even smoke!
12v sockets run anything 12v up to the maximum amperage it can handle. Please dont try to help when you havent even read the thread.
I have said things before like, say, Fiat Puntos arerubbish because the engine blew up or something and someone says no they are brillliant becuase mine has never blown up.....well thats obvious isnt it!!!
Now go and plug your tv in and start the engine and when it blows your knackered because i dont reckon they do as they say they do and are not regulated.
One things for certain i would seriously like to hear from ANYBODY who has more than once turned on their engine whilst the tv is connected and what their experience is. I really dont want to hear anybody say what a great tv they have and anything else not connected to the thread lol, i hope i dont get anyone on my case for being rude but come on the guy really did post a bit of a daft thing didnt he.

Sorry Jim, just reread it it does sound lie your trying to genuinely help but you didmiss the point by a country mile!!

Hi

I dont know what part of the post you are referring to but I'm simply saying that I have had no trouble with the telly that I bought which is a meous (refer to a previous post in this thread), It has nothing to do with me bragging about what a good telly I have. I would never start the engine with the telly plugged in.

I have specified the manner in which I use my telly and pointed out that my mh is equipped with a 12v socket in the dash which is fitted specifically for 12v appliances, like telly's.

I have pointed out that the vehicle manufacturer expressly tells me not to use the 12v cigar lighter for 12v appliances, because by doing this the appliance could be damaged. This is a direct reference to the problem that the original poster had. If the vehicle manufacturer says dont do it, then dont do it.

There had been a slight reference to we do digital being a poor company and one that should maybe be avoided.

Again, my point is that I have bought a number of electrical items from we do digital and they have always being ok and I therefore would endorse using we do digital.

I dont know how the gentleman uses his telly because he doesn't say,it may well be that he left it on for the kids to watch in the back whilst he was driving, who knows?

Again I simply pointed out the fairly obvious problems with leaving the tell plugged in when firing up the engine, not unreasonable?.

I could go on but have other tings to do and so to bring this to an end.

We were having a perfectly reasonable, friendly and civil discussion/chat.

You however appear to be having a bad day and have resorted to a bit of verbal abuse in a definitely uncivil manner.

Hope you have a better day today.

Cheers

Jim :winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sorry cannot help with advice other than this, the supplier still states it will work and now says original must have been faulty. He has re affirmed your warranty, it is still covered, use it and make sure it is OK If that one fails then demand a refund as goods not suited to purpose intended. you have two emails confirming it should do what you wish. Don't let time pass use it and prove one way or another.
Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back