Is it illegal to alter your satnav while driving (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try Billy Connolly ... good but it does get a bit annoying when at the end of each drive you get the "there's no need to thank me" etc message ... we were saying it along with Billy after hearing it a few times!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have done it, whilst waiting in Traffic Jam`s/Queue`s.. But usually IF I need to, I get into a lay-by. (old joke about lay-bys somewhere?) I also have my Secretary answer the Phone anyway!. VOSA are very nice men, they shut one lane of the M25 once to get me recovered!!

Pete

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I think if you check the use of Highways Agency vehicles is limited to a single vehicle in a trial area and the vehicle is clearly marked as working with DVSA . I am uncertain how this trial has gone - certainly I personally am against it for the simple reason that the more people that have the right to stop muddies the waters as to who has the legal right to stop. Interestingly I see that although DVSA ( previously VOSA ) were given the right to stop HGV's a while back generally you now see police back doing it. Years ago Dept of Transport as it was were always looked upon as a sensible friendly bunch of people who used a lot of common sense. When we became O licence holders some 20 + years ago again the folk were helpful and were more interested in people being compliant rather than prosecution. These day DVSA are hated and abhorred by the trucking world as being money chasers at any cost. Recent incidents an artic unit pulled for a check - total of 54 lights on it and one was out - got a fine and GV9 the owner had to send a mechanic out to change the bulb. Lorry driver doing multiple deliveries in Dorset Devon and Somerset stopped 3 times in a day once in each county. Back many years ago when I was trucking once stopped and checked - given the all clear you would get a coloured sticker to put in your windscreen which would mean you would get waved through any stop for the next month.

As far as the Highways agency are concerned generally they have no powers of stop except in road related emergencies when it is illegal to ignore the instructions of a Traffic Officer however they can only report you not stop you - they can also report back to the police of dangerous driving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

You mean the ones in yellow and black Discoverys? They've never been part of the police force. They were once, and for all practical purposes still are, part of the Highways Agency.

They provide support and safety functions only. They have no police powers whatsoever. In actual fact they have no powers to do anything at all unless specifically directed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/highways-england/about/about-our-services

The bit that is missing from there is Part 1 Section 5 (5) of The Traffic Management Act 2004:

The condition is that the traffic officer is acting—
  1. (a) at the direction of the chief officer of police for the area in which the road is situated; or
2. (b) with the consent of the traffic authority for the road.

And finally you're wrong about the privately funded bit as well. They are part of Highways England which although it operates as a separate "company" it is entirely government owned.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Some sat navs will not allow you to change them whilst vehicle is in motion, the Panasonic (built in) in my van does this

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Sometimes you need a 'shut up' voice command or suspend button. We have a Garmin and a TomTom and I've not found them in either. On a long run, you get diverted, or pull off for a break (often after the take a break message), and it goes on and on telling you to turn this way or that to get back on the route. It's not always possible to stop to adjust it, so I do touch it to turn it off, but I would argue, (Probably unsuccessfully!) that it's much less of a distraction than the nagging coming from the SATNAV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Attended a few motorcycle accidents caused by car/van drivers fiddling with a radio rather than looking at the road.. a GPS requires far more concentration ..
I believe it would def be considered illegal ..

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

VOSA were never part of any police force and they certainly do not have full police powers. there is much information about the few powers they have on the internet, too much to repeat here except that they are not police officers and do not have full police powers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back