Is it a problem if there is no log book for caravan? (1 Viewer)

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
My son wants to buy a £3800 caravan. Being young he doesnt know about log books. But here isnt one for this caravan. I said...... cars come with a log book as proof of ownership. (I think thats the reason). Can he expect trouble if he buys the caravan. What happens if it a stolen one? Will he have trouble selling it on latter without a log book? Can he check anywhere if its stolen? Will he have trouble insuring it without a log book? I told him not to do anything tomorrow money wise until i posted this thread.
Thanks for the replies.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There should be registration documents.

He shouldn't buy it without them.

It is the current owner's responsibility to get duplicates.

Sorry if this isn't what you / he wants to hear but it's a lot of money for someone to spend and then find they lose the lot because they have bought stolen goods.

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, didn't get any sort of log book with ours. It was registered on the cris scheme tho, this was etched onto the windows and when we bought the van it was transferred into our name. Think it was £14 to do.

Oozzie

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You don't get log books with caravans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You don't get log books with caravans.
Never heard of log books for caravans, who do you apply to to get one , not dvla that's for sure , might have a hab check book if you are lucky, but afraid it would never have crossed my mind.
No such thing:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My son wants to buy a £3800 caravan. Being young he doesnt know about log books. But here isnt one for this caravan. I said...... cars come with a log book as proof of ownership. (I think thats the reason). Can he expect trouble if he buys the caravan. What happens if it a stolen one? Will he have trouble selling it on latter without a log book? Can he check anywhere if its stolen? Will he have trouble insuring it without a log book? I told him not to do anything tomorrow money wise until i posted this thread.
Thanks for the replies.
At 3800 I would be very surprised if it had much at all.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK there is no DVLA style log book with a caravan

IF the caravan has been registered with CRIS then it will have EVERY window etched with a code
ours WAS

SGBSC05BY303000xx
the code identifies it as GB BY is Bailey 303 is the Pageant Champagne series the last five is the caravans number

IF it doesn't have these numbers it's older than 1990

At £3800 the van should be at least 2006 or younger has he got a damp tester or a caravan mechanic to give it a check ........

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
When we had a caravan there was no reg scheme unless it was uk built so if its a hymer hobby or similar might well have no paperwork

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
When we had a caravan there was no reg scheme unless it was uk built so if its a hymer hobby or similar might well have no paperwork
It is a 2006 hobby. So would it have paper work?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be careful about buying a Hobby caravan as they are 'favourites' with a lot of a certain fraternity I believe ... I think some campsites are wary of letting them on site too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just an aside to this ... has your son got the relevant qualification on his licence to be able to tow a caravan? Is his vehicle capable of towing it?

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
If you buy anything that was stolen you do not get "good title" to it, as the thief/seller didn't possess good title to pass on to you. Thus in law it never actually belongs to you. If the police or real owner from whom it was stolen or insurance company who paid out on the theft locate the caravan, they will sieze it to return to the legal owner. You get nothing. A big reason for exercising a whole lot of "caveat emptor" before parting with any money for anything second-hand, especially big cost items such ss vehicles and caravans that are easy to steal.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just an aside to this ... has your son got the relevant qualification on his licence to be able to tow a caravan? Is his vehicle capable of towing it?
To true, there are far more important things to think about than a logbook, with caravan buying, if it's 2006 have a look at the tyres for a start, and especially think about damp and if the cooker and fridge work, and as minxy says appropriate license, and insurance, never just trust everything to paperwork , get it looked at, anyone can fill a bit of paper in.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
If you buy anything that was stolen you do not get "good title" to it, as the thief/seller didn't possess good title to pass on to you. Thus in law it never actually belongs to you. If the police or real owner from whom it was stolen or insurance company who paid out on the theft locate the caravan, they will sieze it to return to the legal owner. You get nothing. A big reason for exercising a whole lot of "caveat emptor" before parting with any money for anything second-hand, especially big cost items such ss vehicles and caravans that are easy to steal.
if there are no numbers and no log book how does anyone confirm ownership?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's a god question and Inthink the answer is "other than CRIS registration" it's just the same as buying a sofa or chest of draws, actually that is what you are buying but in a box on wheels.

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The same way as you confirm ownership of your TV or anything else, by evidence such as receipts etc.

BTW, the V5 (not been called a logbook for a very long time) only shows the registered keeper, which may or may not be the owner in law.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years

Same as with anything else you buy secondhand....there's no cast iron way. It's ALWAYS a risk buying anything secondhand. All you can do is exercise due diligence to satisfy yourself so far as you can, that the items is legit.
With a caravan, things like how long has seller "owned" it....can he show photos of them using it over the years he said he's had it?
What receipts has he got in his name for all servicing/repairs/spares he says he's had done?
Is it parked at his house on his drive? Has it obviously been there for quite a while? Has he obviously lived there for quite a while?
Who did he say he bought it from?.....ask for contact details of previous owner to confirm.
If he asks only for cash, walk away!
Etc etc.....

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
At the time we had ours there was an organisation called cris that kept a register of caravan chassis no's and the owners but as I said it was biased towards uk manufactured ones . Heres a link

https://www.cris.co.uk/registration/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjMOvsMCN1QIVh7ftCh1x7wBgEAAYASAAEgLDEPD_BwE

I don't think its legally binding but might give some reassurance if its listed to the current seller. Of course there will be some nicked ones for sale but the odds of buying on will be remote provided the price asked is reasonable if its dead cheap for its age/condition I would be wary. I have no idea of current values but a quick web search should give an idea. Our hobby was really good build quality and they are preferred by a lot of people who live in them year round!!!!

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Thank you all for your replies, and I have checked out the CHRIS site, where this van might or might not be registered. As I now have a copy of the vin number, I will do that tomorrow. It might not be registered as it a german make. But then it might be inported and registered or not.
I have also joined the hobby site for more info, and have the uk number to call tomorrow, but have not received any replies from that site.
THERE DOES SEEM TO BE A PROBLEM. The vin number does not appear to be a 2006 model, from what I have learnt on line. However there is contradictory information. Some info say the last number of vin is the year, some sites say its the number after the GOF number on vin , is the year. Other sites say something else.
The vin number is WHB27B25G0FW5507.
With all the confusion this might be a 1995, 1998, or 1997. Does anyone on here know?

However the confusion is even more, in that the stripes on the van don't match up. Pre 2002, there is 5 blue stripes. After 2003, there is 3 blue stripes.
This van has only two blue stripes.

I have spoke to the seller, who says the van is in storage. He can tow the van for my son, to desired location. (son drives a mopehead). He cant show the electrics working as it in storage. He has no paperwork, and did not do a check on the van when he brought it. Some others interested in the van have pointed out to him it isn't a 2006 model. He doesn't mind cash or bank trf. He is neg on the price. He doesn't know the make or model but his girlfiriend thinks it a prestige model.

I have emailed my son the following things he needs to do to try and protect himself.
1. Take a snapshot of the guys gov issued id, ie passport or driving licence. ...If possible take one of the girl friends as well, as the van not at a home address.
2. Get a receipt in my name.
3. Son to pay 2 grand cash out of his money. Me to pay by bank trf using my CREDIT card for the balance. Hoping section 75 will protect me. (I have done a thread on the protection of 75 and credit cards)
4. Check the vin number on the van, given me is the same as what the guy sent me. (this up till now could be a stolen vin number, or someone elses vin vin number)
5. Borrow a generator to check the electrics, and get to Halfords for a damp detector, and check damp and give me the readings.
6. If all goes ahead, offer the guy £100 pounds to tow to site. Then cash and bank payment made, when on site.
7. Get to Halfords asp, after checking the wheels and get a wheel lock. (due to sons age, he cant remove the wheels. The tow bar lock I have here at home, quite far from the location, and prefer the wheel lock as well ).

Have I left some security out?
With the vin number can someone tell me something about the caravan.
Thanks for help.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There are too many things that simply do not add up here. Leave it to be bought by someone who can afford to lose the money if it all goes wrong. My advice is to walk away.

Large Hobby vans are a favourite of the travelling community, and they often do not bother with all the legal niceties.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm sorry , but if you are suspicious and worried why are you putting yourself through this, there are literally 1000s of straight caravans for sale and if he only has a moped how is he going to move it.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
If it was my son I'd do my best to insist he walks away. As a previous poster said, there are lots of caravans about that are obviously genuine. Ask yourself if your son can afford to pay nearly £4,000 for something that may be worth 2 if that. How did the buyer end up with a caravan if he knows so little about them?

Malcolm

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
  • I have spoke to the seller, who says the van is in storage.
  • He can tow the van for my son, to desired location. (son drives a mopehead).
  • He cant show the electrics working as it in storage.
  • He has no paperwork, and did not do a check on the van when he brought it.
  • Some others interested in the van have pointed out to him it isn't a 2006 model.
  • He doesn't mind cash or bank trf. He is neg on the price.
  • He doesn't know the make or model but his girlfiriend thinks it a prestige model.
WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU/YOUR SON EVEN CONSIDERING BUYING THIS CARAVAN!!!!! :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

The first comments alone would stop me in my tracks ... :eek:

... you will have NO PROOF of who this guy is, if he definitely owns it ... he could have knicked it and be storing it somewhere until he off-loads it ...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LEAVE IT ALONE as we don't want to then have to try to resist telling you 'told you so' when it all turns sour!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back