Is erecting an awning a one man job? (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I bought an awning off of someone on here for a F45s awning. Of course I have never used it and it hasn't even been out the bag.

I'm off for an extended trip later this month and wondering if it worth taking it. I will be on a site for some of the trip and it would be handy to have the awning erected but is it a job I would manage myself?

Solo traveller so no point carting about the extra weight of the thing if I wont manage to fit it myself.

Anyone used one and do you reckon I could fit it myself?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I usually put ours up on my own, a simple enough task after a few times, you will get into a method that works for you.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
What do people do when there is a bit of a gale forecast? Does the awning need to come down or if it's reasonably well pinned down should it be ok?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The problem with trying to erect it yourself, is that you will have nobody to argue with. And then us spectators will have nothing to watch whilst we are drinking our wine/beer/tea. Can I please suggest that you find a travel companion so as not to spoil it for everybody else ......................... :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The problem with trying to erect it yourself, is that you will have nobody to argue with. And then us spectators will have nothing to watch whilst we are drinking our wine/beer/tea. Can I please suggest that you find a travel companion so as not to spoil it for everybody else ......................... :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

Love it.:xThumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am sure you would find a mug fellow camper to help you if necessary. I can put ours up by myself but it is easier if there is someone to hold on to a pole end when required.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
When on site I find that the person erecting the awning is always under the verbal direction of a woman.

Whether this helps the erector is probably doubtful but most married men will have come across this at some point ......

:xgrin: :xgrin: :xgrin:

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I normally carry out an erection by myself......it's not really a spectator sport :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, wind out the awning not more than a metre. Unclip the legs and extend them until they reach the ground plus a bit more (to help support the awning). Wind the awning out a bit more. Reposition the legs so they are vertical. Roll out the awning a bit more etc etc. I normally do it in 2 goes.

Best to roll the awning back in at night or if you're away from the van during the day or when it gets windy.

The OP may consider installing awning side clips on the side of the van. Handy if you just want to have the awning out a bit....like if it's raining a bit and you want to have the side door open.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I normally carry out an erection by myself......it's not really a spectator sport :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, wind out the awning not more than a metre. Unclip the legs and extend them until they reach the ground plus a bit more (to help support the awning). Wind the awning out a bit more. Reposition the legs so they are vertical. Roll out the awning a bit more etc etc. I normally do it in 2 goes.

Best to roll the awning back in at night or if you're away from the van during the day or when it gets windy.

The OP may consider installing awning side clips on the side of the van. Handy if you just want to have the awning out a bit....like if it's raining a bit and you want to have the side door open.
I think he may be referring to the Safari Room rather than just the wind out bit.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
@Wagoneer

Sorry I maybe didn't make it clear.... I'm a clever guys, I got 9 GEECSES or whatever they are called so I can put out the actual awning no problem. The thing I have bought is the privacy room to fit the awning.

Sorry I just call the whole thing an awning but it's not it's an awning with privacy room and it is the privacy room that I am wondering about being able to put up myself.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
@Wagoneer

Sorry I maybe didn't make it clear.... I'm a clever guys, I got 9 GEECSES or whatever they are called so I can put out the actual awning no problem. The thing I have bought is the privacy room to fit the awning.

Sorry I just call the whole thing an awning but it's not it's an awning with privacy room and it is the privacy room that I am wondering about being able to put up myself.

Hey no worries I knew what you meant as I am certain 99% did.
I wind out the awning quite a lot more than 1 mtr as I can't reach the legs until it is a good way out, drop the legs and wind out completely, also I haven't yet adjusted the leg heights.
Next job is the side beams, they are fixed into position, clamped over the roof, the centre stiffener is also fixed into place at this time and then the awning wound in until taught.
I then slide in the sides, I use a set of step ladders so I can reach the highest point.
Once the side has been slid into place I slide the rear upright legs into place, the height of the awning is now adjusted and the awning sides are pegged into place.
We have those storm straps that slide into the front awning rail and they are now set.
We don't have a front for our safari room but do sometimes use a net type of front section and that's just how easy it is to assemble.
Obviously if it is windy I leave putting up to a calmer time.
Good luck.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What do people do when there is a bit of a gale forecast? Does the awning need to come down or if it's reasonably well pinned down should it be ok?
If there is gale forecast then you will definitely need to take it down. Even in lower winds than gale force I would recommend taking it down. Having seen the damage one caused when it went over the roof I would always err on the cautious side. And I always use storm straps when mine is out.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
When on site I find that the person erecting the awning is always under the verbal direction of a woman.

Whether this helps the erector is probably doubtful but most married men will have come across this at some point ......

:xgrin: :xgrin: :xgrin:
I have always found that women are synonymous with erections.:whistle::xwink:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Have a go/practice at erecting it at home before going further.
It'd be a shame to carry it all that way before discovering that you cannot do it yourself or you are missing a vital component.
Single-handed is, indeed, possible. Best practiced in private for the first time however. :giggle:

Last edited:

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
We don't argue, we discuss.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had one once on a pvc for extra space. I could put it up single handed though unless you really need the extra space they are a hassle and occupy a lot of space when not in use.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I had one once on a pvc for extra space. I could put it up single handed though unless you really need the extra space they are a hassle and occupy a lot of space when not in use.

Yeah they are still a bit on the bulky side when they are all bagged up but I think I would enjoy the extra room when I am on site for a week or 2.

I'll take it with me, it'll be out the way on the roof rack when not in use so I won't be tripping over it.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Is erecting a awning a one man job
Definitely not its a very complex and complicated proses lot of stress I just let the wife put it up.
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back