Free Member
Dec 2, 2020
Guernsey
Funster No
MH
Malibu Charming 640
Exp
I’m a newbie
I’m traveling from Birkenhead to Belfast on July 10th, staying over near Belfast then heading west to travel down the Wild Atlantic Way down to Dingle and finally sailing back from Rosslare to CHerbourg. Have campsites booked as far as Cong. Can anyone tell me if I need any special paperwork for Southern Ireland any recommendations on campsites and golf courses along the way please. Thank Jean

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
No paperwork needed to enter the Republic - or leave it :) as you drive between the two countries you’ll see why enforcing controls on the land border is such a challenge.

Don’t have any specific recommendations but I would say don’t miss out on Northern Ireland. We had a great time on a short tour there last year. Less busy and some amazing scenery.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The only thing we noticed was the mobile roaming kicks in and out all the time along the border with southern Ireland and we got quizzed by customs about what we had on board and needed passports travelling via Dublin port from Holyhead, but you shouldn't have these checks going via Belfast, although you may as well have the passports handy just in case.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The antrim and causeway coasts are not to be missed, spectacular scenery. Londonderry is worth a visit and malin head.
Donegal has some beautiful beaches and pretty villages.
I'd hoped to get as far as Galway but in the I ran out of time and only got to Westport as there's so much to see.
No paperwork needed, have your passport but you probably won't need it.
WAW roads vary from good A roads to single track with passing places but all are passable in a motorhome, just take your time and follow the signs.
Can't comment on golf except isay I believe there are lots of courses.
Enjoy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jean1913

Free Member
Dec 2, 2020
Guernsey
Funster No
MH
Malibu Charming 640
Exp
I’m a newbie
No paperwork needed to enter the Republic - or leave it :) as you drive between the two countries you’ll see why enforcing controls on the land border is such a challenge.

Don’t have any specific recommendations but I would say don’t miss out on Northern Ireland. We had a great time on a short tour there last year. Less busy and some amazing scenery.
Thanks guys for your help . I agree Northern Ireland is great I was there last year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
In Buncrana there is a golf course, and an Aire behind the Inishowen Tourist Office in Buncrana where you can stop in a motorhome. Service posts for water and electric. Free water, buy electric tokens at the garage opposite, but no emptying grey/black waste. Can be very tight, if it's crowded. I have no idea how good the golf course is, don't do golf.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
There are a few of useful Britstops. We were also allowed to stop overnight free in the barriered car park at the Cliffs of Moher having visited in the afternoon.

We love Ireland. My wallet is less keen!;)

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
There are so many golf courses. In Killarney alone there are 4. Some groups come for two week holidays playing a different course every day.. the better ones you may need to book tee times before arriving.
Just google each area you’ll be visiting a day or two before arriving and enjoy

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
In Buncrana there is a golf course, and an Aire behind the Inishowen Tourist Office in Buncrana where you can stop in a motorhome. Service posts for water and electric. Free water, buy electric tokens at the garage opposite, but no emptying grey/black waste. Can be very tight, if it's crowded. I have no idea how good the golf course is, don't do golf.
To update this, from 2 years ago, there is now a super black waste disposal, which even has a port for an RV waste pipe. Still free water, and electricity by tokens from the Circle K garage opposite. The golf club car park is next to the motorhome parking area. About a dozen spaces for motorhomes, but only 4 electric posts.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back