Ireland, Pet Passport success (1 Viewer)

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
The issue of obtaining a Pet passport in the Republic of Ireland has been discussed on a number of threads so following my success yesterday I decided to start a new one.

I visited Anne Scott, a vet in Carndonagh, Co Donegal who was happy to issue Cassie with a Pet passport.
Most important to all of us though was that she was happy to share the latest guidance to vets from the Irish authorities dated 13th August 2021 and allowed me to take a photo of the important points. I will add these photos below.
Identification of the dog may be from an AHC or a previously issued GB passport. Rabies jabs can be copied over. Cassie’s last rabies jab had expired so she was given a 3 year jab and she was identified by the expired GB passport.
There seems to be no designated port of entry into the Republic from Northern Ireland, rather a muddle as once in the North there is a totally open unpoliced border into the Republic.
Also bear in mind all checks on entering Northern Ireland are suspended until at least 1st October 2021.
I asked Anne if she was happy for me to give this information on a public forum and she readily agreed.
Cost of rabies jab and passport was 80euro.

Attachments

• C1309E7F-5511-4D35-878A-BFC4166B124B.jpeg
    C1309E7F-5511-4D35-878A-BFC4166B124B.jpeg
    839.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 8B1B6853-738B-4FA1-81B7-70B87D1D2D8B.jpeg
    8B1B6853-738B-4FA1-81B7-70B87D1D2D8B.jpeg
    722.1 KB · Views: 297
  • E3085DBD-E01D-49A5-8EFE-6E5B6358A4E3.jpeg
    E3085DBD-E01D-49A5-8EFE-6E5B6358A4E3.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 305

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Jim

Perhaps this might be better off in the 'private member's' only area?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
just a personal view, it doesnt mean i am right (or wrong) but i would hate to see the vet become inundated so much so that the prices rocket or for some reason she is unable to continue.

i also think that sometimes information on here should ONLY be for the benefit of paid up members and not available to anyone just via a google search, my view is that one of the benefits of full membership is that we can share information between ourselves. it doesnt stop us answering a query any none member may post if we choose to do so of course. Perhaps this is one of those pieces of information we keep to ourselves in the private members area unless someone asks??

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I visited Anne Scott, a vet in Carndonagh, Co Donegal who was happy to issue Cassie with a Pet passport.
Most important to all of us though was that she was happy to share the latest guidance to vets from the Irish authorities dated 13th August 2021 and allowed me to take a photo of the important points. I will add these photos below.
Identification of the dog may be from an AHC or a previously issued GB passport. Rabies jabs can be copied over. Cassie’s last rabies jab had expired so she was given a 3 year jab and she was identified by the expired GB passport.
There seems to be no designated port of entry into the Republic from Northern Ireland, rather a muddle as once in the North there is a totally open unpoliced border into the Republic.
Also bear in mind all checks on entering Northern Ireland are suspended until at least 1st October 2021.
I asked Anne if she was happy for me to give this information on a public forum and she readily agreed.
That is very useful information - thank you. (y)

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
The issue of obtaining a Pet passport in the Republic of Ireland has been discussed on a number of threads so following my success yesterday I decided to start a new one.

Hi , is that just for people having an Irish address or could we pop over from England to get one ?
thanks for the info by the way !!!

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
You can use your English address. See the middle attachment in the OP.
Great thanks just read that !! That is really good news. Just phoned that vet, she is on annual leave so will try to find an alternative. We are in a rush due to the dog being pregnant so need to sort as soon as.

Reactions: maz
Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
Great thanks just read that !! That is really good news. Just phoned that vet, she is on annual leave so will try to find an alternative. We are in a rush due to the dog being pregnant so need to sort as soon as.

Just booked an appointment for next week in letterkenny co Donegal. They said it was fine to issue one. We will see ! Thanks again

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Just booked an appointment for next week in letterkenny co Donegal. They said it was fine to issue one. We will see ! Thanks again
Excellent. Make sure you’ve got the old GB passport with you and enter through Northern Ireland. Other than that I had nothing. It’s great to see the actual recent Irish government advice to vets.

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
Excellent. Make sure you’ve got the old GB passport with you and enter through Northern Ireland. Other than that I had nothing. It’s great to see the actual recent Irish government advice to vets.
The vet I spoke to had received the directive and said it was fine to come over from England without an Irish address.
its reassuring that they have got actual advice. We are travelling to Larne.
Thanks again for your help !

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before

I asked Anne if she was happy for me to give this information on a public forum and she readily agreed
Hi Downsie, Just when I thought I have this covered this pops up!, I am booked to Belfast from Cairnryan on the 2nd of Sept, Getting AHC on 26th Aug before I leave home. I noticed on the Irish Govt paperwork that you posted that the AHC MUST be checked and stamped on entry to EU, (Ireland) in this case. Also that Tapeworm treatment must be given by UK vet 120hrs before entry. I am entering through NI so the AHC won,t be stamped (no checks). Can you confirm that you entered through NI and what did the vet say about The fact that you had nothing but old passport. Second did you have an AHC only just a few days ago I posted that carn vets told me that I had to have one to get the EU PP but made no mention that it had to be stamped on entry to Southern Ireland through designated ports as stated on the Irish papers you posted. I don't have an old PP as my dog is only one year old so will be relying on AHC. Can you also confirm whether you had tick and tapeworm treatment done or dose that not matter to Carn Vets? There seems to be a lot of contradictions on what you have posted versus the Irish paperwork you posted. Bruce.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
Hi, but it clearly on the Irish paperwork that we need an AHC to be stamped and checked at a designated port of entry into Southern Ireland (EU) and that we also have to have tick and tape worm treatment done no more than 5 days before travel in UK. That chucks the entry through NI out the window so either Carn Vets is ignoring what they told me just a few days ago or the Irish info is out of date or the free travel is only through NI.
Carn vets told me that I have to have to have an AHC as they need to copy info from it..also we have to have one if we are entering the EU, but now the papers that have been posted say to issue a PP in Southern Ireland it has to be STAMPED AND CHECKED. not possible if entering through NI. (no checks) Downsi can you please explain this please as I have a ferry for 2nd Sept for Belfast!!!! Bruce

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Pet passports are still available/issued in Northern Ireland as part of the NI protocol agreement.
I don't know if these can be issued if you don't have a NI address, but it might be worth phoning a few NI vets to see what they say.

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Hi Bruce
As I said, entry through Northern Ireland is a muddle In the documentation. This is because there is free movement through the border between the North and the Republic which is the reason that the border between the UK and EU is down the Irish Sea.
You can find the information on pet entry into NI on the Northern Ireland government website. This is suspending all checks on pets until 1st October 2021. Prior to this announcement I had already booked a vet appointment in the uk for an AHC which I cancelled on seeing the change. So yes, the free travel is only through Northern Ireland.
The documentation issued to vets that I have posted also clearly states that the GB passport can be used instead of an AHC to confirm identity. I was fortunate in that I still had the old passport with me as I hadn’t known that bit!
Also note that I wasn’t referring to Carn Vets, presumably vets can decide for themselves how they choose to proceed. My vet was commenting on the fact that she had received a 5 page email on the subject (only first two relevant to us). She is also on holiday at the moment.
Hope this helps
Jenny

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
Hi Bruce
As I said, entry through Northern Ireland is a muddle In the documentation. This is because there is free movement through the border between the North and the Republic which is the reason that the border between the UK and EU is down the Irish Sea.
You can find the information on pet entry into NI on the Northern Ireland government website. This is suspending all checks on pets until 1st October 2021. Prior to this announcement I had already booked a vet appointment in the uk for an AHC which I cancelled on seeing the change. So yes, the free travel is only through Northern Ireland.
The documentation issued to vets that I have posted also clearly states that the GB passport can be used instead of an AHC to confirm identity. I was fortunate in that I still had the old passport with me as I hadn’t known that bit!
Also note that I wasn’t referring to Carn Vets, presumably vets can decide for themselves how they choose to proceed. My vet was commenting on the fact that she had received a 5 page email on the subject (only first two relevant to us). She is also on holiday at the moment.
Hope this helps
Jenny
Hi Jenny, Thanks for the prompt reply, I have been following this saga since end of last year and know (or thought I new most of it) It's only new info that keeps coming up that has to be checked. I have re-read the the Irish paperwork and see the ref. to Old PP and or AHC. Because I don't have old PP ( both dogs have died since this all started) I have to have an AHC instead in place of old PP. ( I am trying to make this clear for any other members on here who don't know about the details) The only thing now that is not clear that you have not mentioned is the ref in there about the AHC has to be stamped and checked on entry into Southern Ireland and the mention of Tick and tapeworm treatment. We don't know if Southern Ireland has agreed, like NI to wave these checks because this has never come up before. New info. Did Anne Scot mention this to you?.
Our own Govt. still has old out of date info on their website about the same thing, is Ireland doing the same?. This has always been the problem from the start trying to find out what we can do and separate it from out of date info.
SO, Does the info about AHC being Stamped on entry to Southern Ireland apply or not in the eyes of the vet?. I can ring Carn Vets, but will only speak to a receptionist as Anne is on Holiday and don't want to get wrong info. This is like 2002 when PP's were first issued in GB, we had to check everything the vets did. Thanks again Bruce

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
Or an AHC if you don't have an old passport Bruce

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Hi Bruce
Yes, the whole thing is a total nightmare, I too have been kept awake by trying to work it out.
Firstly you are talking of Carn vets which is NOT the vet I saw. Anne Scott is a different independent vet in Carndonagh and she is on holiday now.
Our gov.uk website is definitely out of date. Do refer to the NI government website. Also you may have seen on the other thread that I had emailed Larne Port who confirmed that they are not making any checks at present. Another Funster had phoned the NI government department too.
If you don’t have a previous passport I suspect you may need an AHCin order to identify the dog, which requires the rabies jab
However if you cross (quite legally at present) to Northern Ireland there is nowhere to get your AHC stamped. Technically you probably should ….. but how? As you are so concerned about this point maybe try a NI vet? But we haven’t seen their vet’s instructions which may say they can’t copy a jab or accept a GB address? Or start another thread about the checks at the NI/Republic border to reassure you. This whole mess has occured because all sides are determined that the border is quite open.
Just remembered Anne also said that the rabies jab she gave was not effective for three weeks but since there are no checks it’s irrelevant. Just don’t go home through the Republic! I think UK havent planned to make checks after that, in any case but I’ll be home before then.
Hope this helps
Jenny

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I can’t see how the AHC is required to identify the dog. The chip does that and even though the rabies jab takes time to take effect this only matters if it is the dogs first jab, it doesn’t matter if it’s a booster and has been done in time before the old expired.
But I was told by my vet that a AHC was needed for Ireland when we got our AHC for our France trip.

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Landy Andy, I didn’t understand that bit either, but it’s what the Republic government has told irish vets. That is why I was so pleased to be able to take a copy
If you cross direct to the Republic you would need an AHC. No checks on this in Northern Ireland until 1st October. Effectively this was an initial jab for my dog as the previous one had expired (never expected to need it again) but I had kept the passport.

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
Landy Andy, I didn’t understand that bit either, but it’s what the Republic government has told irish vets. That is why I was so pleased to be able to take a copy
If you cross direct to the Republic you would need an AHC. No checks on this in Northern Ireland until 1st October. Effectively this was an initial jab for my dog as the previous one had expired (never expected to need it again) but I had kept the passport.
Guess I will be the next test case then ! Ferry booked to larne on Sunday evening, passport issue booked with vet in Letterkenny on Tuesday morning.
I have the old passport but no AHC.
will let everyone know how I get on

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Minnie
Good luck, I'm hoping to be on the Larne ferry on 8 September.
Then looking for a vets for PP so ill be watching to see how you get on.
Did the vet you spoke to in letterkenny specifically say they did not require an AHC ? Just the old PP ? As that seems to contradict info in the email to Anne Scott, but maybe that's assuming entry to Eire is through one of the ports mentioned and not NI ?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
Minnie
Did the vet you spoke to in letterkenny specifically say they did not require an AHC ? Just the old PP ? As that seems to contradict info in the email to Anne Scott, but maybe that's assuming entry to Eire is through one of the ports mentioned and not NI ?
I never asked the question to be honest , she just knew I didn’t have an Irish address just an English one which she said was fine.
if we pop across the border on a quiet road from NI I’m hoping it will be ok. Will ask my vet though. One of the 2 dogs has a french passport that will be travelling with us.

Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, I’m really confused does this mean we wouldn’t need an AHC every time we went in and back from the EU? Sorry if it’s a silly question.

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
Hi, I’m really confused does this mean we wouldn’t need an AHC every time we went in and back from the EU? Sorry if it’s a silly question.
If you have an eu ( not uk ) passport you don’t need an AHC

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
if we pop across the border on a quiet road from NI I’m hoping it will be
You can cross to Eire on any road you choose, there are no checks by whatever means you use.
But I think it's risky not getting a AHC, unless you speak to your vet in letterkenny to confirm ?
As much as I'd like to avoid the cost, I've booked a AHC, even though I know it won't be checked going into NI but the vet may insist on seeing it ?
It'd be useful if you could find out your vets interpretation of regs

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you don't have an EU PP then you need a AHC each time you enter EU.
Which is why we are looking at getting a EU PP in Ireland to avoid future costs and hassles.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
Hi Bruce
Yes, the whole thing is a total nightmare, I too have been kept awake by trying to work it out.
Firstly you are talking of Carn vets which is NOT the vet I saw. Anne Scott is a different independent vet in Carndonagh and she is on holiday now.
Our gov.uk website is definitely out of date. Do refer to the NI government website. Also you may have seen on the other thread that I had emailed Larne Port who confirmed that they are not making any checks at present. Another Funster had phoned the NI government department too.
If you don’t have a previous passport I suspect you may need an AHCin order to identify the dog, which requires the rabies jab
However if you cross (quite legally at present) to Northern Ireland there is nowhere to get your AHC stamped. Technically you probably should ….. but how? As you are so concerned about this point maybe try a NI vet? But we haven’t seen their vet’s instructions which may say they can’t copy a jab or accept a GB address? Or start another thread about the checks at the NI/Republic border to reassure you. This whole mess has occured because all sides are determined that the border is quite open.
Just remembered Anne also said that the rabies jab she gave was not effective for three weeks but since there are no checks it’s irrelevant. Just don’t go home through the Republic! I think UK havent planned to make checks after that, in any case but I’ll be home before then.
Hope this helps
Jenny
Ok. Here we go again, I have just phoned Carn Vets who I have an Appointment with on Mon 6th Sept. They have told me as long as I have the AHC and proof of Rabies Vac. etc for the dog they don,t care were I cross the Irish sea. So it looks like the info on Irish Govt. website is out of date the same as UK. They have nothing new yet to update it to so it's just a free for all!!! Good news for us. I think we had crossed wires which vet you visited.
I think we should keep an eye oped for UK Motorhomes from uk with Funster stickers on we could have a party waving our Irish PP's and dance round one of those magic Irish stones.
Thanks for your contributions but I think we have more than enough Threads running at the moment, I can't work out now which one I am on let alone remember which one I saw a bit if info on.
I will be on west coast heading south if any one see's us, we will be watching for Funsters, But only friendly ones please I think we will all be a bit more chilled after this. Enjoy your Holiday. Bruce

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
Minnie
AHC or old Uk Passport They need one or other to Identify the Dog. once you get the EU PP you won't need an AHC again. Bruce

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back