Ireland, Pet Passport success (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
You can cross to Eire on any road you choose, there are no checks by whatever means you use.
But I think it's risky not getting a AHC, unless you speak to your vet in letterkenny to confirm ?
As much as I'd like to avoid the cost, I've booked a AHC, even though I know it won't be checked going into NI but the vet may insist on seeing it ?
It'd be useful if you could find out your vets interpretation of regs
Ok just checked with the Letterkenny vet and specifically asked about the AHC. They had no idea 😱
Anyway spoke to my own vet and they said that in their opinion you need an AHC to get to Ireland in order to get the passport. ( I know there are no checks in
NI )
she said I could risk no one checking in Southern Ireland but it’s up to me. I have no idea about how you go about getting it stamped on entry to southern Ireland if you aren’t going through Dublin etc That’s another risk I’ll have to t
In view of that I’m getting one done on Friday as I don’t want to go all that way and fail. I’m aware that it can be done without as has been documented on here , but it’s guess it’s up to the individual choice.
The official guidance put on here does seem to state that you definitely do need an AHC for Southern Ireland but you won’t get checked in NI till the 1st October even though you need one now.
The good news is that you can still be issued with an EU pet passport in Southern Ireland with an English address.
Guess you can in NI too but maybe that will become invalid in the future like the uk one has. 🤷‍♀️
Will keep everyone posted

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Ok just checked with the Letterkenny vet and specifically asked about the AHC. They had no idea 😱
Anyway spoke to my own vet and they said that in their opinion you need an AHC to get to Ireland in order to get the passport. ( I know there are no checks in
NI )
she said I could risk no one checking in Southern Ireland but it’s up to me. I have no idea about how you go about getting it stamped on entry to southern Ireland if you aren’t going through Dublin etc That’s another risk I’ll have to t
In view of that I’m getting one done on Friday as I don’t want to go all that way and fail. I’m aware that it can be done without as has been documented on here , but it’s guess it’s up to the individual choice.
The official guidance put on here does seem to state that you definitely do need an AHC for Southern Ireland but you won’t get checked in NI till the 1st October even though you need one now.
The good news is that you can still be issued with an EU pet passport in Southern Ireland with an English address.
Guess you can in NI too but maybe that will become invalid in the future like the uk one has. 🤷‍♀️
Will keep everyone posted
If your southern Irish vet is insistent about you having an AHC when you arrive for your appointment, then pop back to northern Ireland and get one from a vet there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think overall it's probably best just to get one before you go. It could turn out to be a lot of chasing around otherwise, and may end up costing more than getting a AHC at your local vets.

On a different note I just found out we don't need lateral flow test before returning from NI or Ireland, just the 2 day PCR.
Just found the info on gov website. Separate thread on here with links for those interested Minnie Thedriver

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I can’t understand why the PP issuing vet has any interest in the AHC.
That is used for customs and entering the country, not for PP info.
Surely the vet just needs proof of rabies jab, and the dog to have a chip.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
Thedriver
Have you had it confirmed by your vet that they can issue pp without AHC ?
Hi Figato, No they told me I have to have one if I don't have an old PP. They have to copy info over to new EU PP. If you have an old UK EU PP then you don't have to have an AHC, To put it another way if you like. There are far to many threads running now on this, All this info people are asking now is available elsewhere on Here but it will take a lot of reading. I think some are going without an AHC but it seems that it depends on the vet. all I know is what the Vet I have chosen needs one. I also think you should get one, It's only once. Bruce

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
Hi Figato, No they told me I have to have one if I don't have an old PP. They have to copy info over to new EU PP. If you have an old UK EU PP then you don't have to have an AHC, To put it another way if you like. There are far to many threads running now on this, All this info people are asking now is available elsewhere on Here but it will take a lot of reading. I think some are going without an AHC but it seems that it depends on the vet. all I know is what the Vet I have chosen needs one. I also think you should get one, It's only once. Bruce
Read again Figaro, I edited this Bruce

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
If your southern Irish vet is insistent about you having an AHC when you arrive for your appointment, then pop back to northern Ireland and get one from a vet there.
Sorry to put my doubting mind on this but will they have them. NI has pt1 listing so retains the UK/EU passport the same as we were before B?@_£$"!t, so they don't need one. Before Jan 2021 we only used them to export live animals.? Yes-No? Bruce

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
All Done !!
New passport, no mention of AHC ( I didn’t get one in the end )
Absolutely no problem.
vet is happy to issue one to anyone else who cares to go there. I asked her.
Only £58 and that included 2 lots of wormers for 2 dogs written on passports and eye drops !!
All done and dusted.
Thanks to Downsie for advice !

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
All Done !!
New passport, no mention of AHC ( I didn’t get one in the end )
Absolutely no problem.
vet is happy to issue one to anyone else who cares to go there. I asked her.
Only £58 and that included 2 lots of wormers for 2 dogs written on passports and eye drops !!
All done and dusted.
Thanks to Downsie for advice

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
I think you would need to clarify with the vet as to whether you need the previous GB passport. You might need an AHC if you haven’t got that. Look at the second page of the ‘vet instructions’ that I posted. Minnie can you confirm that the irish border is totally open, no one seemed to believe me!

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
I think you would need to clarify with the vet as to whether you need the previous GB passport. You might need an AHC if you haven’t got that. Look at the second page of the ‘vet instructions’ that I posted. Minnie can you confirm that the irish border is totally open, no one seemed to believe me!
I can confirm that as of the 29th August you can travel from cairnryan to Larne with 2 dogs on board ( ticketed and with hanger on Moho and with customs man coming inside and petting them ) that no AHC was required.
we then travelled over the ROI border to Letterkenny in county Donnegall to the vets without being stopped ( no one at border ) and the Irish vet never mentioned an AHC. I did need the old uk passport for her to transfer rabies vaccinations into new one. She put my English address on the Irish passport without a problem

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
Minnie - did you manage to get a ferry deal? cheapest we've found is a smidge under £300 return
Ours was around that , we booked it through Direct Ferries and they were cheaper than p and o website.
we are currently wild camping of which there are plenty of amazing places and have not eaten out at all so that has kept the cost right down.
Donnegal and the causeway coast route in NI are stunning !

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Can I ask which vet you used in letterkenny ?
I'm on the Cairnryan ferry Monday, planning a similar route to you by sounds of it (y)

Do you still need the health check / worming tablet 5-1 days before return to UK ?

Minnie

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
B20FF706-5790-4D61-B88C-6ED3C80E5D78.jpeg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Minnie Thanks for that, do you know if you still require the vet health check / 5-1 day worming tablet for return ? I assume you will but the whole NI / Ireland seems to be a grey area where things are't always as you expect lol.
I've never toured in the motorhome in Ireland before so if you have any tips for places to visit / overnight I'd be interested to hear (y)
At the moment I'm just getting a bit bamboozled with all the place names :confused:
Are you finding the roads ok, not too narrow

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
I’m
Minnie Thanks for that, do you know if you still require the vet health check / 5-1 day worming tablet for return ? I assume you will but the whole NI / Ireland seems to be a grey area where things are't always as you expect lol.
I've never toured in the motorhome in Ireland before so if you have any tips for places to visit / overnight I'd be interested to hear (y)
At the moment I'm just getting a bit bamboozled with all the place names :confused:
Are you finding the roads ok, not too narrow
We had the wormers and health check done and stamped as they needed doing anyway so I will let you know if we get checked on Friday.
If you follow the brown causeway coast road signs off the ferry there are loads of beautiful places to stop.
Go on park 4 night as a lot of parking sites have height barriers.
I reviewed the ones we stayed at and they were really safe and of course free. Search for sites has a lot too. Once in the ROI follow the wild Atlantic way signs , Malin head is the start and is stunning
We have a 7.5 m van and have had no problems with the lanes so far. Follow others reviews if they say not good for larger vans , don’t go.
There is a Motorhome sales place by the vets Donahughes where you could stay or fill up with water and empty cassette if you don’t want to stay
Rubbish disposal is an issue as the ROI has no public bins.
Go on YouTube if you like and search “tread the globe “ Chris snd marianne have done the whole of the routes and have good tips. 😬

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I heard that before about Eire
Public bins are locked / have a small slit opening so you can't put large quantity of rubbish in.
All other bins locked for use by owner only, but very little litter apparently

We are talking about the same thing here arent we? By public litter bins we do mean standard public bins on the street? If so then there must have been a major change in design since I was last home to see the parents in Donegal because the bins in the streets have the same size hole as the ones here in the UK, about a foot wide and 6 - 8 inches high

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
You don’t need any worming/checks etc before returning to the UK. UK rules are as they’ve always been, NI is part of the UK. The problems that now exist are all to do with entry to NI, now considered to be part of EU regarding pets. Definitely no checks on return to UK, none planned.
Re Malin Head, don’t go up the last bit of the road after the small car park (often full) at the top of Banba’s crown in search of parking. Crowded with retail vans (coffee, souvenirs etc) and people, little room to turn round and precipitous edges. Ask me how I know 😱!!!!! And my van is small!

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
The issue of obtaining a Pet passport in the Republic of Ireland has been discussed on a number of threads so following my success yesterday I decided to start a new one.

I visited Anne Scott, a vet in Carndonagh, Co Donegal who was happy to issue Cassie with a Pet passport.
Most important to all of us though was that she was happy to share the latest guidance to vets from the Irish authorities dated 13th August 2021 and allowed me to take a photo of the important points. I will add these photos below.
Identification of the dog may be from an AHC or a previously issued GB passport. Rabies jabs can be copied over. Cassie’s last rabies jab had expired so she was given a 3 year jab and she was identified by the expired GB passport.
There seems to be no designated port of entry into the Republic from Northern Ireland, rather a muddle as once in the North there is a totally open unpoliced border into the Republic.
Also bear in mind all checks on entering Northern Ireland are suspended until at least 1st October 2021.
I asked Anne if she was happy for me to give this information on a public forum and she readily agreed.
Cost of rabies jab and passport was 80euro.
Thanks for sharing this. It seems like a great solution to the difficult situation we are experiencing with our pets.

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
You don’t need any worming/checks etc before returning to the UK. UK rules are as they’ve always been, NI is part of the UK. The problems that now exist are all to do with entry to NI, now considered to be part of EU regarding pets. Definitely no checks on return to UK, none planned.
Re Malin Head, don’t go up the last bit of the road after the small car park (often full) at the top of Banba’s crown in search of parking. Crowded with retail vans (coffee, souvenirs etc) and people, little room to turn round and precipitous edges. Ask me how I know 😱!!!!! And my van is small!
Too late was the cry !!!!!
We didn’t go all the way to where the coffee van is at Malin head but turned round where the public toilets are.
Abandoned 7.5 m van on roadside back on the way down. So was ok. Very busy but amazing walks ! Only one coffee van present.
our dogs were due wormers anyway as they are both pregnant and the wormers were way cheaper than in England with no extra cost to sign passports.
I did wonder about checks though so thanks for the info.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Very useful information, thanks.

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
There was an interesting item on the BBC Radio 4 Consumer programme You and Yours, on Wednesday of this week 1st September, 8 minutes 15 seconds into the programme to 14 minutes 15 (Kevin Mousley reporting). The programme started at 12:18 pm (lunchtime) and is available for download or catchup on the BBC Sounds app.

Quite interesting.

Ken

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
There was an interesting item on the BBC Radio 4 Consumer programme You and Yours, on Wednesday of this week 1st September, 8 minutes 15 seconds into the programme to 14 minutes 15 (Kevin Mousley reporting). The programme started at 12:18 pm (lunchtime) and is available for download or catchup on the BBC Sounds app.

Quite interesting.

Ken
Thanks for that link Ken , I listened and can concur that the information supplied is exactly how it worked for me.
The Irish vets don’t need you to have an Irish address they are happy to put an English one on. Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back