Internet when away (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello Campers

I've had a look through some of the posts on this but more confused by the array of methods. Wondering about internet whilst away. How do you all do it? at the moment I have an 02 sim only with my iphone. I'm a technophobe so can I use my phone data to connect to my lap top? bluetooth? personal hotspot bla bla.....It's all gobbledegook to me. I don't want to go into a phone shop and get sold a crap deal. We'll only be doing the UK this year obviously

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Firstly, what will you be doing online? Surfing the web, checking emails or streaming videos/ tv etc. Will you be using it daily and for how long? All of this will help determine if you need another package or your existing one will do.

How much data have you got with your current o2 package?

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year

Teltonika Here

EE give the best overall coverage and data sims are cheap enough

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mobi

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
N/A
You can take Smarty SIM only deal. 50 GB data for £15 a month rolling contract. You can tether to any device. I use it to work away from home. Smarty uses Three's network which sometimes drops off in remote areas though.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Firstly, what will you be doing online? Surfing the web, checking emails or streaming videos/ tv etc.

How much data have you got with your current o2 package?
all of the above and wondering if we can access netflix and prime, youtube. I have 10gb Data allowance at the moment and only use this on the phone. I use my phone online a lot and this seems to do me ok. Could be different if I use it for streaming films tho?

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
We have the best option of all, when we bought our van (second hand) it had a 4g router already and a sim inserted, 15 months on and the data is still going strong and we’ve never paid a penny

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
You can take Smarty SIM only deal. 50 GB data for £15 a month rolling contract. You can tether to any device. I use it to work away from home. Smarty uses Three's network which sometimes drops off in remote areas though.
I'll look that up... thanks. I'm paying £12.36 a month for 10gb with 02 at the mo

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We have the best option of all, when we bought our van (second hand) it had a 4g router already and a sim inserted, 15 months on and the data is still going strong and we’ve never paid a penny
Getting lost in tech now. 4g router?

Upvote 1

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
all of the above and wondering if we can access netflix and prime, youtube. I have 10gb Data allowance at the moment and only use this on the phone. I use my phone online a lot and this seems to do me ok. Could be different if I use it for streaming films tho?
Yes if you plan to use it a lot I would buy a larger SIM card. I too use smarty 50gb on PAYG so no contract. If you decide to try it use this code and we both get a month free plus £10 credit. http://referme.to/iHEjVjp

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Plenty of unlimited sums around for £20 amonth or lesswe use a firestick in the TV and connect by activating hotspot in phone
You do need a good signal to the phone

Upvote 1
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
After a bit of thought. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible ( I need that) I don't mind increasing my data allowance/payment so could I then tether my phone to lap top?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Plenty of unlimited sums around for £20 amonth or lesswe use a firestick in the TV and connect by activating hotspot in phone
You do need a good signal to the phone
That makes sense. The problem would be the phone signal in remoter areas then?

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Do you have internet access at home, other than through your mobile ‘phone?
If so, it will (probably) be through a router attached to your land line (home ‘phone) if you have one. In our ‘vans, most of us have a wireless version of the home router, called a mifi. Hope this helps...... ;)
Yes, you can tether your laptop to your mobile if it has Wi-fi access.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Do you have internet access at home, other than through your mobile ‘phone?
If so, it will (probably) be through a router attached to your land line (home ‘phone) if you have one. In our ‘vans, most of us have a wireless version of the home router, called a mifi. Hope this helps...... ;)
Yes, you can tether your laptop to your mobile if it has Wi-fi access.
Yes we have BT internet, Tv, Landline although I don't know why as we never use it

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If you only want to use the data whilst away for a few days you can simply use your phone as a wifi hotspot for other devices. In the phone settings there will probably be an option to use it as a 'hotspot' or 'tether'. Once selected a unique phone name and password will be displayed on the phone. A few devices such as ipads, firesticks etc can now see your phone as a wifi router from their own settings using the phone name and unique password for access. Each phone is a bit different but you should be able to figure it out with a bit of bashing of the screens.
You'll soon get an idea of how much data you use and can then start shopping around for a different deal if you need to. One thing I do is check the coverage for your data network. I have sims for O2, 3 and EE so can usually get some coverage but it's often a bit flaky on many sites.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
If you really are a technofob, you could do a lot worse than contacting Motorhome WiFi

They supply everything needed, and give superb backup and advice. You could buy most of what they sell slightly cheaper but you‘d need some knowledge to put it together.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
If you only want to use the data whilst away for a few days you can simply use your phone as a wifi hotspot for other devices. In the phone settings there will probably be an option to use it as a 'hotspot' or 'tether'. Once selected a unique phone name and password will be displayed on the phone. A few devices such as ipads, firesticks etc can now see your phone as a wifi router from their own settings using the phone name and unique password for access. Each phone is a bit different but you should be able to figure it out with a bit of bashing of the screens.
You'll soon get an idea of how much data you use and can then start shopping around for a different deal if you need to. One thing I do is check the coverage for your data network. I have sims for O2, 3 and EE so can usually get some coverage but it's often a bit flaky on many sites.
Thanks for the info, I'm reading up on it on out and about live site now. about wifi boosters etc

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
If you really are a technofob, you could do a lot worse than contacting Motorhome WiFi

They supply everything needed, and give superb backup and advice. You could buy most of what they sell slightly cheaper but you‘d need some knowledge to put it together.
cheers I'll look it up (y)

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
ALL networks have cold spots, if your really after the best overall coverage the get a dual sim fall over router such as the RUT955 and use EE and Vodafone Sims, and an external antenna.

But Hogger I’d just call 4Gone or MS Distribution Here and ask them whats the best deal at the moment.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have an old phone Samsung g5 I connect it to the TV with a lead and tether it to my "new" phone, this uses less power than a firestick for off grid, also I download from iPlayer and Prime to the old phone in case I have no coverage for streaming

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Smarty also offer unlimited UK data for around £20 which they discount occasionally. I've got unlimited data for £15 per month at the moment. Good account management website and helpful customer services. Recommended.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
That makes sense. The problem would be the phone signal in remoter areas then?
The signal is always going to be a problem whatever you use, we used a MiFi and when the signal was a bit dodgy we put it in a plastic bag and either put it out of the roof vent or hoisted it up on a pole!
If you do that just remember where it is before you move.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
ALL networks have cold spots, if your really after the best overall coverage the get a dual sim fall over router such as the RUT955 and use EE and Vodafone Sims, and an external antenna.

But Hogger I’d just call 4Gone or MS Distribution Here and ask them whats the best deal at the moment.
Rito cheers. It's all getting a bit confusing now but I'll keep going with it

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I have an EE SIm in my phone with a generous data allowance.My teenager son as the cheapest EE monthly contract and I got the same for my Huwaei E5577 router.I then move my data around the other devices as needed.EE has best coverage which is why the emergency services us it I believe.If in a poor signal area just pop it out on the roof in a plastic bag.Link it up to an Amazon firestick

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back