International post now. (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Does anyone know how international post is being moved now that airlines have virtually shut operations?

Is it all being trucked, at least within Europe?

I am asking because I am awaiting my new EHIC card which was forwarded by a friend a week ago by Recorded Delivery, and my old one expires soon.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I posted something to the UK on Friday & assume that it will have gone by the same method that Spain always uses , airmail.
In normal times post from here on Friday & it would be delivered on Monday in UK.
I always tell people in the UK never to send anything to me here recorded or signed for as it will take on average 3 weeks whereas 'normal' it will arrive in 3 or 4 days.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
We sent a parcel, DPD to France. Collected from our house Wednesday last week and arrived at son's house yesterday. Grandchildren will be happy as it contains Easter Eggs :LOL:

So parcels are still moving.

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We’ve received mail from America so I believe freight is still flying so it would depend how it was posted, normal mail or airmail.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think cargo planes are still flying so maybe they use those instead of commercial passenger aircraft.
If you go on flight radar nearly every plane you see is a cargo flight.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Does anyone know how international post is being moved now that airlines have virtually shut operations?
Like other funsters I think that post & other delivery cargo items will still happen.
Of course they'll have the same volume of staff self-isolating as other industries and may need some double shifting but are on the essential list

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I understand that freight is still going by air, but there are other considerations. Over 30% of postal staff are either sick or isolating in my area, and deliveries are affected accordingly. A parcel sent 24 hour post has taken 8 days to get to me from Whitechapel sorting office to Herts. Another posted in Wembley on the same date still hasn't arrived. Collections are being made from post boxes at least once daily and none have been shut, but we only seem to be getting two deliveries a week and although parcels that couldn't be delivered are still being taken to our local post office for collection as usual, it's shut to the public, so you can't actually pick them up.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years

I am asking because I am awaiting my new EHIC card which was forwarded by a friend a week ago by Recorded Delivery, and my old one expires soon.

Geoff
The postal services have to record registered mail in and out of the depots keeping records they also need to get signatures, which at the moment they will not do, so the sign for stuff just waits, at the delivery office

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The postal services have to record registered mail in and out of the depots keeping records they also need to get signatures, which at the moment they will not do, so the sign for stuff just waits, at the delivery office
It's being delivered. Postal workers are being told to self sign that it was picked up by the recipient whilst they stood a suitable distance away after knocking and leaving it at the door. More information on the Royal Mail website.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Geoff
Dont know about post but i have a case of brandy arriving this morning from Spain,,,Ordered a week ago,,BUSBY.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Think you are only allowed one letter per day, My two grandsons (same address) each have a birthday a few days apart, posted both cards at same time, one card arrived with second card arriving four days later?‍♂️

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Dont know about post but i have a case of brandy arriving this morning from Spain,,,Ordered a week ago,,BUSBY.
Brandy arrived all safe and sound.8 days door to door..Will try a couple tonight.BUSBY?,,glasses not bottles.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'm waiting on a delivery from Netherlands (managed to damage a board on my BMS when re-installing. Manufacturer sending another which is great service IMO).

The tracking states one extra day due to the current situation. Last time I had goods from them it took 3 working days.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Europe air traffic is down, but look at what is flying at this moment in the US of A.
E78601F8-330D-4B2D-9A3C-24C7CE41BFBC.png

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I've had an ongoing battle with Chronopost here over the past three years, as they invariably call to say they can't find my address and have left the parcel in the nearby town. I've never believed it - they just find it easier and quicker to dump all the parcels in one place:(

I get a phone call this morning. It's the Chronopost driver. "Go to the front of your house". I had to ask him again and then confirm that he was delivering to me. He was, so I hot-footed it out to the gate and there he was, bowling down the lane like a looney. Van screeches to a halt, driver jumps out, opens the back door, slides the parcel out of the back, onto the lane - and he's off.

I'm not surprised he wanted to offload it sharpish. It was a backpack sprayer, delivered from.....Italy:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

The outer and inner cartons both got a dose of spray-on bleach before i opened them, I can tell you.....:whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back