Insurance (1 Viewer)

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I have just tried to get a quote online, from “Safeguard Motorhome insurance” and discovered a problem. As a result, I phoned them to get confirmation and discovered they will only cover you up to the age of 79 years. Once you are 80 years old you are completely written off. If you are a customer of theirs, renewing a policy, they will continue to insure you, but at what cost I dread to think. Irrespective of how fit, healthy and capable you are, they don’t want to know. It seems 80 is when your fun ends, put your slippers on and sit by the fire and vegetate.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I am sure there are other companies that can insure you at a reasonable price.Try caravan guard. (y)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes,I’ve heard of that before (on here)

Try Comfort,very good,but I don’t know if they have an age limit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Thank you for your replies. I already have insurance with “Comfort” which is due for renewal soon, but just wanted to check out other companies. I was just annoyed at such a response. My wife and I are quite fit for our age, we still cycle and tour around Spain each year. Red pennant travel insurance with the C&MC when I reached 80, I’m now 81, trebled in price. I guess we are more of a risk and would expect to pay more as a result, but a blanket refusal, is too much to take.

For anyone in our position looking for travel insurance, Nationwide Flex Plus account is ideal, as it is not expensive through them.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Travel insurance through Nationwide FlexDirect is very expensive if you have any medical problems even though they are under control with medication.

Backdraft

Free Member
Aug 5, 2018
Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Travel insurance through Nationwide FlexDirect is very expensive if you have any medical problems even though they are under control with medication.
We found the opposite to be true, the amount we pay to cover a pre-existing means it is still competetive and it does actually cover the condition. Often other quotes want to load the premium and then exclude anything related to the existing health problem. Add in the European breakdown cover and up to now I've been happy to pay. But not so this year as paid for the upgrade but when I called they would not give a refund as we couldn't travel due to lockdown.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We found the opposite to be true, the amount we pay to cover a pre-existing means it is still competetive and it does actually cover the condition. Often other quotes want to load the premium and then exclude anything related to the existing health problem. Add in the European breakdown cover and up to now I've been happy to pay. But not so this year as paid for the upgrade but when I called they would not give a refund as we couldn't travel due to lockdown.
Maybe it's because we both have medical issues. I just wish they would cover you for European rather than worldwide and then it would probably be a reasonable cost!

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I didn’t find Nationwide travel insurance expensive. I also had my premium repaid, less £25 last year, because Brittany Ferries cancelled our crossings. I rang NW and told them I would not need their cover, as Covid had put a stop on our trip.

Apr 26, 2012
lancs
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2006
Insured with Comfort after passing the dreaded 80 they are very good to deal with. The CC& MC needed us to take out a second mortgage, as they did with the Red Pennant in spite of the fact that we used it for 12 years without a claim.

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
I hope this is still true:
When my husband was in his late seventies we were insured with Comfort. On enquiring about the age issue we were told that they wouldn’t take on new customers over 80 but would keep existing customers with no extra loading. So we stuck with them and age was never mentioned again. He drove happily to the South of France aged 85. (I’ve just insured with them again for my new van being delivered in 4 days time 😁)
With regard to health insurance it was very difficult to find after cancer diagnosis and major surgery over 80. CMC red pennant had really different conditions applied which made winter sun possible. They also paid out readily when my husband died with two holidays booked. Again I hope this is still true.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back