Insurance - Have you found a big increase (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
We have just had our renewal from Caravan Guard who we have been with for many years always seeming to get the cheapest price. This year the premium has jumped up. Anyone got any suggestions. The MH is sorned until May and is in a garage at home behind 6ft electric gates so chances of theft are minimal. Getting it in is a squeeze a stranger getting it out again would be worth a laugh! We have never had a claim and don't go out of the UK.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
What do you call a jump?

have you asked them to reduce it?

I would expect / accept a small increase, but most obvious change to make would be annual mileage , staying in U.K. we will probably do half our normal mileage of 8K

I always ask what can be done to reduce the premium, I think the insurers are now playing our game in reverse, put it up to see if we notice / query, lots probably don’t 👍

Consider an increase your XS as well, in reality we would never claim for under about £1000, we have a voluntary excess XS of £500 making £750 in total

mine hasn’t renewed yet this year, but last at renewal, following a third party claim 🙁 my premium only went up by £5 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
With the exception of my m/h insurance (via Comfort) the 'Renewal invitations' for my cars, motorbikes and house are always a substantial increase when as DavidG58 said they hope you won't notice or cba'd to get quotes from elsewhere. It's a regular thing every year to have to shop around for quotes and I end up with very nearly no premium increase at all since insurers generally give new customers a worthwhile 'Introductory' or 'New customer' discount. The entire industry is a PITA and their business plans allow for customer churn.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What do you call a jump?

have you asked them to reduce it?

I would expect / accept a small increase, but most obvious change to make would be annual mileage , staying in U.K. we will probably do half our normal mileage of 8K

I always ask what can be done to reduce the premium, I think the insurers are now playing our game in reverse, put it up to see if we notice / query, lots probably don’t 👍

Consider an increase your XS as well, in reality we would never claim for under about £1000, we have a voluntary excess XS of £500 making £750 in total

mine hasn’t renewed yet this year, but last at renewal, following a third party claim 🙁 my premium only went up by £5 👍
We always go for a high excess for the same reason. Ours went up this year but after shopping around it was cheaper than last year.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have just had our renewal from Caravan Guard who we have been with for many years always seeming to get the cheapest price. This year the premium has jumped up. Anyone got any suggestions. The MH is sorned until May and is in a garage at home behind 6ft electric gates so chances of theft are minimal. Getting it in is a squeeze a stranger getting it out again would be worth a laugh! We have never had a claim and don't go out of the UK.
We are with caravan guard my quote came yesterday and I phoned and got it to £278.00
Same as last year I did mention that hasn't had any use this last year no milage rise re covid
Also said I was going to compare prices but it was only a £10 rise . But it doesn't hurt to haggle this is with break down too. (2006 Carthago )
Spoke to Scott motor home department.
I didn't sign up yet as not due until April.

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
Exp
Since 2003
I’m with Caravanguard. When renewal notice came it was quite an increase, but I asked them to review it. It seems after review that I was treated as a new customer, quite a substantial decrease, and a new policy number with all benefits and policy history and NCD carried forward to new policy.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I’m with Caravanguard. When renewal notice came it was quite an increase, but I asked them to review it. It seems after review that I was treated as a new customer, quite a substantial decrease, and a new policy number with all benefits and policy history and NCD carried forward to new policy.
I'm with Caravan Guard, how does reviewing it work?

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
Exp
Since 2003
I'm with Caravan Guard, how does reviewing it work?
I didn’t do anything apart from flagging up the increase this year which I thought was a bit much. The person I spoke to seemed surprised at how much the policy had increased and said they would review it to see if any additional savings could be made, without changing my cover needs.

I’m not sure what they did but I ended up paying I think about £100 less than originally quoted, and less than previous year, with no changes except for a different policy number. I have been with them for over 18 years.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Caravan Guard cancelled our insurance at first expiry 'because of the high level of thefts and breaks ins in the area' [caravan was in secure storage!] Turns out, the break ins were at the Caravan/Motorhome Dealer just under 1 mile up the road, and, touch wood, there have been no problems at our existing secure storage facility. Caravan insurance now with LV and quote obtained today for cover for our pending motorhome purchase.

Steve & Elaine

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back