Insurance for a foreign registered MH (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
In anticipation of Brexit I am looking at re-registering the MH in Poland, but in advance want to find insurance.

It is difficult in Poland. Even my existing Underwriters, Allianz with whom I have current UK insurance till July, will not provide it in Poland because vehicle is >12 years.

I know that most insurers in most countries will only insure vehicles registered in that country. I think this is not because of laws but company policy.

Does anyone know of any insurers in any country who will insure a MH registered in another country?

I know this is a bit of a long-shot but I have to find a solution.

Geoff

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You’re probably better off going to Boston or Wisbech and asking one of the EE national how they do it, assuming that they are insured. Or an EE labour gang with their own mini buses if it’s different for large vehicle.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Having been looking at this subject you are wrong it is not companies individual business decisions it is an EU directive that came into fruition sometime after 2016. Pre that I could get insurance on the VIN with German export plates, now I cannot and my insurers have explained why. So have 2 others. Apparently EU law is that a vehicle can only be insured in the country of registration, or in the case of a new vehicle as yet not registered only in the country of origin. This is clearly a protectionist policy. I am led to believe that there is a company that will do short term insurance on foreign (to the driver) registered vehicles however this proposal was not going to be released until after 29th March which suggests it is related to Brexit. I suspect I will be told it is still not available they way things have gone this week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
No one knows after the 29th, but when I looked into it in Spain where we have our property, I could insure anything but being non residents you only got a green card for 30days, we are residents now and you get a 12 month green card for all countries except Israel all spanish policies only cover Spain.
20190323_154817.jpg
20190323_155214.jpg

Bob.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Having been looking at this subject you are wrong it is not companies individual business decisions it is an EU directive that came into fruition sometime after 2016. Pre that I could get insurance on the VIN with German export plates, now I cannot and my insurers have explained why. So have 2 others. Apparently EU law is that a vehicle can only be insured in the country of registration, or in the case of a new vehicle as yet not registered only in the country of origin. This is clearly a protectionist policy. I am led to believe that there is a company that will do short term insurance on foreign (to the driver) registered vehicles however this proposal was not going to be released until after 29th March which suggests it is related to Brexit. I suspect I will be told it is still not available they way things have gone this week.

Any company in one EU country that has affiliates in another can insure non national vehicles ,both on the original plate or the chassis number.

The car registration authorities should accept insurance cover from any insurance company:

• based in that country or with an office there
  • without an office in that country but authorised to provide services there.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/insurance/validity/index_en.htm

Here I can insure vehicles from other eu States as long as the insurer has an affiliate.
UK vehicles are quite easy with LibertySeguros , amongst others, offering full UK insurance along with notifying the dvla & Mid, Tuesdays & Fridays, of all UK vehicles they have insured that week. Used to be in the adverts that your vehicle wouldn't have a problem if stopped in the Uk as it would be on the data base.

Chassis number I have also done on german imports.
In the Uk the problem is that they all appear to be singing from the same sheet in not offering chassis number insurance.There is nothing in EU legislation to prevent it being offered ,regardless of what the UK companies say.
This company in the UK appears to offer it & up to a year.

https://ajinsurance.co.uk/personal-insurance/car-insurance/chassis-number-unregistered

In anticipation of Brexit I am looking at re-registering the MH in Poland, but in advance want to find insurance.

It is difficult in Poland. Even my existing Underwriters, Allianz with whom I have current UK insurance till July, will not provide it in Poland because vehicle is >12 years.

I know that most insurers in most countries will only insure vehicles registered in that country. I think this is not because of laws but company policy.

Does anyone know of any insurers in any country who will insure a MH registered in another country?

I know this is a bit of a long-shot but I have to find a solution.

Geoff

nicholsong is online now Report Post
Quote Multi-Quote Quick Reply

You would not need insurance until it is re -registered surely ?
If it is the same in the UK as it used to be then don't apply for a "permanent export " certificate or notification as all they used to do was supply it & immediately remove the registration number from the system so leaving you without a legally registered vehicle.
All we used to do here was go t to the ITV (mot) station give them the UKV5 & mot & ask for it to be replated. They would then check vehicle , issue a ficha tecnica but without the registration number.
You then had to pay the road tax on the chassis number & attend trafico for paperwork filing; around to Hacienda(tax) to pay any import duty or get a 'non-required' then back to trafico ,submit & receive the ficha tecnica back ,now with a registration number along with the 'permiso de conducción' (registration document/permission to be on the road).
Or wait until you start the process in Poland & apply for the "permanent export " certificate or notification then ?

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Getting insurance on the VIN in the UK is available with certain caveats from several insurers. The UK insurers like AJ you quoted will only give you VIN cover on UK soil. So back to the original, how can a UK national insure a foreign registered vehicle. That would be useful for me as I could use the German export reg, which only comes with third party insurance and cannot be improved, to cover from the dealer to the UK when my UK insurance kicks in. Can you provide more information on the insurers you believe can do this? Thanks.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Getting insurance on the VIN in the UK is available with certain caveats from several insurers. The UK insurers like AJ you quoted will only give you VIN cover on UK soil. So back to the original, how can a UK national insure a foreign registered vehicle. That would be useful for me as I could use the German export reg, which only comes with third party insurance and cannot be improved, to cover from the dealer to the UK when my UK insurance kicks in. Can you provide more information on the insurers you believe can do this? Thanks.
You really need someone who lives in Germany & can find out whether any of their companies do like the spanish , & offer cover on foreign plate /vin numbers through affiliates.
I thought that the German export plates could be extended numerous times, similar to here ?

http://www.export-plate.com/sofunktionierts.html

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Will you be keeping and driving it in Poland or the UK? There may be restrictions on how you can drive it if you have a U.K. licence.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Will you be keeping and driving it in Poland or the UK? There may be restrictions on how you can drive it if you have a U.K. licence.

I apologise for not making it clear that I shall be keeping the MH mainly in Poland , so that some people's time has been wasted giving answers about temporary insurance on VIN etc. This omission happened because my original post was on a forum where most people know we live in Poland, and I did not add that information when I copied and posted on here.

Michael (Morelo) has clarified that it is now the law re foreign plates being insured in another country not just company policy. Thanks. UK out of EU could change this but I will not hold my breath.

On Gus-Lopez point about local subsidiaries of Int'l companies being able to do it, that is why I had approached Allianz, as per my OP, but they put a MH age limit in Poland. I do need to know the answer before re-registration - no good having a number plate with no insurance.

Geoff

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Further to my post no. 11 above.

I am aware that I would also need to swap my licence for a Polish one and maybe 'residency', but those procedures are quite straightforward compared with the Insurance.

Geoff

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Is you van too old to get any insurance??------ or too old to get fully comp????
We can only get basic insurance on our Portuguese cars as they are too old for comprehensive!!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Is you van too old to get any insurance??------ or too old to get fully comp????
We can only get basic insurance on our Portuguese cars as they are too old for comprehensive!!

Our car is 2002 and insured full comp in Spain. (y)
It was only about €25 more. :LOL:

Can't work out how the road tax is worked out, 2002 Opel Corsa 1.2 petrol €57.80
2017 fiat ducato 2.3 diesel 3.5 t camper €73.42.
@gus-lopez does that sound right Richard, I'm sure we paid more last year for 9 months. (n)
I do know who ever the owner is on the first of January is responsible for the tax, ;) even though you don't pay it for 3 or 4 months. :doh: :rofl: Bob.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
It is 16 years old and currently insured Fully Comp with Allianz in UK but Allianz will not do it over 12 years in Poland.
Yes that is similar to here unless you have had it insured full comp from early on.
My car was full comp no problem up until I sold it at age 13 but from the twelfth year when I looked at changing companies no one would offer full comp.
One thing you could look into is how the vehicle is treated when re-registered.
If you re-registered your camper here it would be classed as "new" ,even though 16 years old, & they would offer full comp .So worth asking whether it might be the same in Poland even though Allianz have said not?

Our car is 2002 and insured full comp in Spain. (y)
It was only about €25 more. :LOL:

Can't work out how the road tax is worked out, 2002 Opel Corsa 1.2 petrol €57.80
2017 fiat ducato 2.3 diesel 3.5 t camper €73.42.
@gus-lopez does that sound right Richard, I'm sure we paid more last year for 9 months. (n)
I do know who ever the owner is on the first of January is responsible for the tax, ;) even though you don't pay it for 3 or 4 months. :doh: :rofl: Bob.

How long have you had your car insured for though?
As for your road tax :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Don't move down here.
The corsa would cost you around 140€/year in Lorca that is. cheaper down Águilas or even more so San Juan de los Terreros,
The camper would be around 180€ .
My camper ,before it was exempt , was 142€/year.:cry:
Road tax varies from council to council in every region.:rolleyes:
My Kia Carnival was 181€ back in 2016 yet a friend of a friend in Estepona pays 65€ for the same vehicle.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
@gus-lopez
We got the car end September / October , it was taxed and insured, but we didn't want the insurance, so even though the previous owner was not getting another car he cancelled it, the tax starts January but we have just got the paper work to pay it at a bank. (y)

The camper maybe they charged a whole year when we did it in March, but I thought we paid more last time, I not grumbling ;) looks like our council are good. :LOL:
So it could be more next year if they spend anything on the roads, the toll road went up 10c this year but next year they say will be free. ;) We believe that when we see it. (y) Bob

Ps maybe less because it's euro 6.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I am having the same issue re insurance from Germany to U.K. Caravanguard although significantly more expensive than some others have told me verbally that I am fully covered to get vehicle home and for visit to approval test centre. I will once I have a definite collection date ask them to confirm this in writing but suspect that the story may change at this point.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back