Insurance due to out half way through trip (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Planning to go to Germany, Austria, Croatia, Italy, Switzerland etc in the spring and half way through the 60 day trip the motorhome insurance is due for renewal. Nearer the time I would normally either go with the renewal premium or get some other quotes in. However I can’t remember if I need to show insurance documentation covering the entire trip on entering Europe (in this case it will be Hook of Holland). Don’t remember showing such documentation last time although I had it with me. Can any other motorhoamers remember if you need to show it? I could always take out a new policy from date of leaving but I don't really want to do that if I can help it.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Planning to go to Germany, Austria, Croatia, Italy, Switzerland etc in the spring and half way through the 60 day trip the motorhome insurance is due for renewal. Nearer the time I would normally either go with the renewal premium or get some other quotes in. However I can’t remember if I need to show insurance documentation covering the entire trip on entering Europe (in this case it will be Hook of Holland). Don’t remember showing such documentation last time although I had it with me. Can any other motorhoamers remember if you need to show it? I could always take out a new policy from date of leaving but I don't really want to do that if I can help it.

You don’t need to show it at entry. If you were stopped for any reason you would need to produce insurance covering you at that point, but again not for the whole trip.

Renewing with your current insurer whilst away will be fine, read the terms and conditions on a new policy which may require you to be in your home country at policy inception.. may not, but worth checking.

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Ours always runs out mid hols. End of August renewal. I just renew before I go and it never seems to worry the insurers and I do change companies if the renewal quote is silly.
I think it's travel insurance which insists you start your trip from the UK.
Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Should the situation arise that you need to show your ins cert after renewal you should be able to self print from your ins co emails if you ask them

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Obvious thing to do is check with your insurer now. They might even give you your renewal quote early. I've never been asked for anything other than passport and related paperwork (and my V5 when I bought the German equivalent of the CritAir in Assen a few years back) - but you never know . . . .

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I always receive a renewal notice/offer by email and pay it from my online bank account. They've no idea where I am at the time I renew.

Jul 27, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I had this, did the renewal online, the certificate was available on-line so I downloaded it and got reception at the campsite to print it for me.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Most companies and comparison sites allow you to take out new policy 30 days before start date (depending how 1/2 way through60 days that is)

Nov 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
with lots of insurance policies issued by UK insurance companies, you can only take out the policy if you’re actually in the uk. It used to be this only applied to travel insurance, but we’ve recently had the same issue with home insurance. Worth ringing your (current) insurer to check. 👍👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back