Insurance Credit for Non use (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Just spoken to Safegaurd asking is there any credit being issued for non use , answer " No" "we have not been advised ," you could change Policy to lower mileage !!! "peanuts " I said end of conversation.
Has anybody had a credit or asked for a credit Insurance Companies must be making a lot of money out of Non use ie. less claims etc.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
How would the ins. co. know you haven't been using it?

I read in an earlier Fun post on this same subject that one insurer had issued blanket rebates/credits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969
Direct Line have a scheme to reimburse you if your mileage is lower due to covid/lockdown. You register on their website. They refund direct to the Card you paid your premium with.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just spoken to Safegaurd asking is there any credit being issued for non use , answer " No" "we have not been advised ," you could change Policy to lower mileage !!! "peanuts " I said end of conversation.
Has anybody had a credit or asked for a credit Insurance Companies must be making a lot of money out of Non use ie. less claims etc.
Not being funny but what if a landlord said you have to pay more rent because your using the house more in lockdown ...?

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
Admiral gave evrybody with a policy a rebate on the first lockdown due to lower mileage. Didn't need to ask. Think it was a flat £25 per policy from memory

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Not being funny but what if a landlord said you have to pay more rent because your using the house more in lockdown ...?
Now not so funny but a static caravan park in Suffolk that should close in January for a month has informed Residents that the council has let them stay open, due to covid19 but Residents will have to pay £250 on top of their Annual fees, we are on similar site are crossing our fingers, don't see nothing wrong with reasonable charge, but rented house etc. No.

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Admiral gave evrybody with a policy a rebate on the first lockdown due to lower mileage. Didn't need to ask. Think it was a flat £25 per policy from memory
Good of them , moral thing to do

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Now not so funny but a static caravan park in Suffolk that should close in January for a month has informed Residents that the council has let them stay open, due to covid19 but Residents will have to pay £250 on top of their Annual fees, we are on similar site are crossing our fingers, don't see nothing wrong with reasonable charge, but rented house etc. No.
There’s good and bad companies but unfortunately I think the latter dominates ...

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Similar from caravanguard,I pointed out that most MH,s had been out of use since probably Sept 2020 and likely to be off road untill April if we are lucky,but they actually said premiums had gone up since Jan 1st due to more claims arising from last year.the only way to reduce was to change the policy details,ie reduce the mileage.A reduction from 7k to 5 k miles resulted in a reduction of £24 ,so around £10 to £12 per 1000..
I have found a cheaper quote which includes EU travel for 180 days but without breakdown cover.
My current caravan guard is UK only with breakdown.
We would like to go to the EU this year but with covid it may not be possible.
Any thoughts?

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I suspect the driving element of the insurance is viewed as relatively low risk, the primary one being theft, so not driving it very far isn't going to warrant a significant drop in premium.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Recently had our car MOT'd - it had only covered just 1800 miles since the previous one. :rolleyes:

And that included a return journey from Bristol to Scotland last July. Reckon it would have been less than 800 in the year without that. :unsure:

I think insurers could request mileage information from service or MOT records. Many ask for reading on mileometer when cover is arranged or renewed.

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Similar from caravanguard,I pointed out that most MH,s had been out of use since probably Sept 2020 and likely to be off road untill April if we are lucky,but they actually said premiums had gone up since Jan 1st due to more claims arising from last year.the only way to reduce was to change the policy details,ie reduce the mileage.A reduction from 7k to 5 k miles resulted in a reduction of £24 ,so around £10 to £12 per 1000..
I have found a cheaper quote which includes EU travel for 180 days but without breakdown cover.
My current caravan guard is UK only with breakdown.
We would like to go to the EU this year but with covid it may not be possible.
Any thoughts?
We liked the Safegaurd Cover , but I fear we and others will earnestly look at other companies at renewal , I think it is morally unacceptable for Insurances companies not to give a credit of at least 25% of their premiums back , off Post just had a quotation from Caravan and Motorhome Club ( Devitts ) took half a hour telling her my house details what she asked was ridiculous, Contacted AXA done quote within 10 minutes , I phoned back because I thought they might want to know about door and window locks ,he said we don't want to know about that very competitive legal cover , £ 1 million rebuild , single item up to £15000

Alf Tupper

Free Member
Feb 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
T2 kombi 1986
The insurance covers mileage, that's why we have to declare it. safeguard are being idle as they only use their inhouse policy which they have arranged with Aviva.My renerwal has come through with an increase - that is utter rubbish and Safeguard are taking the mick with their policyholders. Claims can only be down last year, so Aviva have received a windfall, and Safeguard a bigger claims bonus than expected. Shabby, grubby, cash grabbing, taking advantage of owners in full knowledge of the fact that last year was hugely profitable for the underwriters and the broker.

Does anyone have feedback on any broker actually doing a good job here? Everyone's involved so it's very relevant to all.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
A couple of months ago I got a £10.08 rebate from First Direct as I'd only averaged about 25 miles per month; that average must've dropped a bit further now. When not in use it's locked in my garage.
Their generosity nearly overwhelmed me :swear2:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Not really as Im hoping to do a lot more miles when lockdown is over and wouldnt expect it to rise

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If last summer had not had restrictions and really nice weather would you have expected the insurance company to charge supplements as people used there vans more than expected ?:reel:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If last summer had not had restrictions and really nice weather would you have expected the insurance company to charge supplements as people used there vans more than expected ?:reel:
If you had travelled more than your insured mileage and had a bump or claim they would be the first to advise you weren't covered. (y) o_O

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If you had travelled more than your insured mileage and had a bump or claim they would be the first to advise you weren't covered. (y) o_O
Very true but up till last year I didn't have a mileage limit
Like lots of things people need to hut for what policy suits them best
Snag being you are never sure till you make a claim

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think it is morally unacceptable for Insurances companies not to give a credit of at least 25% of their premiums back
they actually said premiums had gone up since Jan 1st due to more claims arising from last year.
The driving risk may have gone down a bit but the theft risk has gone up, just be grateful they are not asking for a covid supplement.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Would you expect or accept an increase half way through your policy due to theft risk increasing during the pandemic?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Would you expect or accept an increase half way through your policy due to theft risk increasing during the pandemic?
No, but I wouldn’t expect a rebate because the driving risk has gone down either. I am just trying to make the point that Covid may mean we can’t use our motorhomes but it may not save the insurance companies any money. The big risk is theft not driving.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
No, but I wouldn’t expect a rebate because the driving risk has gone down either. I am just trying to make the point that Covid may mean we can’t use our motorhomes but it may not save the insurance companies any money. The big risk is theft not driving.

Agreed, my post was in reply to the OP

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
The driving risk may have gone down a bit but the theft risk has gone up, just be grateful they are not asking for a covid supplement.
I hasten to say you are unlikely have it stolen , yes you hear of many cases that happens but that is a very small percentages of Motorhomes that are out there as for a Covid supplement I ain't going anywhere in the Motorhome for the foreseeable future, we would like to but, we would rather get rid of the Virus , people spread it not Motorhomes , people are dying businesses are suffering, we are not like some footballers we should not be hugging and being ignorant
Rant over !! :unsure: :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back