insurance company won't renew (1 Viewer)

Dave.s

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I rang insurance company (Lifesure) today to let them know a change of address for my motorhome storage, as its not going to be at my home address and I also work away a few days a week and have use of a caravan whilst away before returning home, they told me that insurance company would not cover me at all (AXA), I have been on comparison site and got some quotes online giving my home address and address of where motorhome will be stored. Has anyone else had this problem? And should it be a problem that I work away? Lifesure have been really good for the last 4 years but this seems ridiculous to say they will withdraw insurance because I work away and not at my home address, any ideas or recommendations, thanks Dave

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Let's clarify some things.
Why is it not at your home address &
Where will the motorhome be?
If you are actually using it whilst working away it still actually 'lives' at home but you are just using it as it is intended.
If the motorhome will be somewhere else. Where is that ?
If you are working away without the motorhome why would you even mention that fact?

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Let's clarify some things.
Why is it not at your home address &
Where will the motorhome be?
If you are actually using it whilst working away it still actually 'lives' at home but you are just using it as it is intended.
If the motorhome will be somewhere else. Where is that ?
If you are working away without the motorhome why would you even mention that fact?
Suggest you re-read the OP. All of your questions, except the last, are answered there!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Suggest you re-read the OP. All of your questions, except the last, are answered there!
I think Gus's relevant point is that an insurer often requires storage to be on an approved and secure site rather than 'up the road', on an industrial estate or farm etc.
I've found that online quotes are often a catch-all facility and the situation can be very different when actually answering their full questionnaire.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No it is ambiguous. No where does it state where the mH is going to be kept?
It alludes to working away .Is that in the MH? It's all guesswork for me. I'd hazard a gess that the insrance broker thinks the same.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Afraid not, as Gus has said it isn't clear, we really need to know:
  • where the MH is being kept - this is likely quite a pertinent point as some insurance companies will only give cover in certified storage sites, and/or if they accept a non-certified site the value of the MH may preclude cover there
  • it's not clear whether the MH is being used as transport to/from the caravan which would be commuting
  • whether the MH is being used as accommodation (along with the caravan) which would be using it for business purposes

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
No it is ambiguous. No where does it state where the mH is going to be kept?
It alludes to working away .Is that in the MH? It's all guesswork for me. I'd hazard a gess that the insrance broker thinks the same.
The motorhomes is to be kept in storage; when working away, he will be using a caravan not the motorhome.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
My van is parked in a private car park at the rear of a block of 8 apartments . I had quite a few insurance companies refuse insurance due to the fact that it is not locked and the public can get access and so classed as parked on the road. I have taken a 3 year deal with Saga who did insure and classed at parked on road at home address . Incidentally i mentioned that a solar panel had been fitted and the cost went up £40.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The motorhomes is to be kept in storage; when working away, he will be using a caravan not the motorhome.
That is your assumption, he has use of the caravan but it doesn't say whether he will be using the MH to get there/back.

We can debate this ad nauseum but the only person who can give us the actual detail is the OP.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Yes had this problem when we kept it In a barn at industrial units, site owner lived on site with a shotgun but that made no difference with insurance company, we were restricted to 2 companies that would cover us, barn was demolished, and had to bring it home.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You lot are reading too much into this.
The van is being moved to a NEW STORAGE SITE.
If its going to a storage site how will it be used for transport to work.
Why would the van be used when there's a caravan to be used for the three days away.
What does it matter if he's away from home for 3 days. The vans on a STORAGE SITE which may be many miles away from his home.
In my opinion the insurers declined for one reason.... The type and location of the new storage site....nothing more, nothing less.

OP
OP
Dave.s

Dave.s

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks for replying everyone, the Motorhome is going to be stored on the site where the caravan is. I don’t use it for commuting, it is purely used for leisure, there isn’t room to store it at home address, I thought it would be safer storing it where I was staying for work on an affiliated camping and caravan site, I have been totally honest with the insurance broker, I have been staying away from home a lot so as not to risk taking home covid due to my work, and as I have moved due to relationship ship breakdown I have spent more time away than at home so insurance broker told me that the provider would not cover as I spent so long away. They were not helpful at all and did not ring back as promised. As someone pointed out this could now have knock on problems for future insurance.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Once an insurer declines or worse still withdraws insurance cover it WILL affect all other motor insurances you have. Failure to declare the withdrawal immediately invalidates any insurance

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Once an insurer declines or worse still withdraws insurance cover it WILL affect all other motor insurances you have. Failure to declare the withdrawal immediately invalidates any insurance
Does denpent how they worded it , we sometimes have trouble with the house insurance as our area is classed as high flood risk, I've never been refused insurance if they don't want to insure me they refuse to quote, rather than refuse to insure.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Is that totally true though? We were declined cover when we first needed to take out insurance after buying our Carthago due to the value of it, so the declining was due to their simply not providing policies for it.

I suspect that the 'decline' issue is more down to the person themselves having a bad history rather than the location etc of the vehicle. Are there any insurance brokers (current or ex) on the forum who could advise?

Might be worth giving these a ring and asking:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don’t have a bad history at all, I’ve never even had a speeding ticket since I started driving in 1983.
Same here, between me and my husband have never had any sort of fine, infringement etc whatsoever for driving although he did get told off recently by a copper for allowing one of our dogs to lay on the parcel shelf whilst going down the road to the park (not done it since!). The only thing we have ever had was a parking ticket when the council suddenly changed the parking time on a road we used a lot when shopping from 2 hours to 1 hour.

From what you've said you haven't actually had insurance declined, just a broker who couldn't be bothered to try to find you a policy and was going by what he 'thought' the provider would say form his 'experience', which is a completely different thing so I wouldn't be concerned about that aspect at all.

I would be a little bit less forthcoming about your situation, for example just because you work away from home shouldn't make any difference to your insurance on the MH as it's at a storage site anyway and although I know that's where you are based for going to work for a few days at a time it's irrelevant as you aren't using your MH, it just happens to be at the same place. So tell them you have it in storage away from your home and leave it at that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
From what you've said you haven't actually had insurance declined, just a broker who couldn't be bothered to try to find you a policy and was going by what he 'thought' the provider would say form his 'experience', which is a completely different thing so I wouldn't be concerned about that aspect at all.
My thoughts too, like I said with our house insurance rather than refusing cover they just refuse to quote.

OP
OP
Dave.s

Dave.s

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have been too honest with them, I will ring axa direct and speak to them when I have a reply from broker or insurance company, it’s got me really worried though, happy to take my money but not helpful when needed, thanks for replies 👍

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As always you need to be careful when asking for insurance. Even a slightly wrong job description can make a huge difference. But you must be honest and not withhold pertinent information. That said, perhaps you have been over-zealous in telling the agent everything - it's probably raised red flags in their mind and so do not want to get involved. It's more likely the definition of a permanent address - they may have assumed it's a temporary address which in their eyes makes you an itinerant.
Sorry about your relationship problems; they don't half muck things up. Covid doesn't help either.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have been too honest with them, I will ring axa direct and speak to them when I have a reply from broker or insurance company, it’s got me really worried though, happy to take my money but not helpful when needed, thanks for replies 👍
Don't worry, there are plenty of other brokers to try, ringing Axa won't do any good I suspect unless they will give you a quote themselves (don't mention your broker!), however going via comparison site swill usually give you details of which are the most likely to provide you with cover without costing you the earth.

OP
OP
Dave.s

Dave.s

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have just had a call from an insurance company, she is ringing back next week, I have a permanent address at my fathers, all my vehicles and licence is now registered at that address, I asked if Motorhome is stored away from home would it be a problem, she had a quick look on application as I had put it on there, she said it’s not a problem.

OP
OP
Dave.s

Dave.s

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I also will ask if insurance is not renewed via broker, for the excuse from them in writing, as I may get ombudsman involved, who knows insurance company may be ok with it, and broker can eat humble pie!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Admittedly this is some 11 years ago, but an Insurance declined to renew my insurance coveron a Fiat Ducato that I bought to start up a self employed business, despite there being no change of risk that I could discern. I queried whether the refusal to renew would constitute a 'refusal of insurance' and both the original insurer and the Ombudsman confirmed in writing that it did not constitute a refusal of insurance; rather it was a declination to assume risk. I think I still have the original letters filed away somewhere safe, in case I ever need to refer to them again. Just need to remember where that might be ...

Steve

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
The risks cannot be quantified with the data given. Furthermore any other application elsewhere will inude the question. Has insurance ever been declined. And the answer to that is now a Yes. You need to ask what aspect of your requirement prompted their negative response, and how that might be overcome. Get a quote at any price. Then you can look elsewhere.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I don’t have a bad history at all, I’ve never even had a speeding ticket since I started driving in 1983.
Insurance companies are fickle and want the balance of risk in their favour. Having had a burglary and two vehicles taken the MoHo insurance went from around £400 to a new quote of over £3500. Whilst I am not naive I did expect a premium hike but not to that extent. Adrian Flux came up with. Premium of just over £1k and hope it reduces this year. If you haven’t tried Adrian Flux give them a call and see what they can do 👍

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
We use Comfort and keep the m/h on a non certified farm.All they wanted was some pictures of the access route and storage area

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
This must also pose another problem iff another insurer asks "have you ever been refused insurance"?
Not necessarily. If they are declining to provide cover because they don't cater to your needs, that isn't a refusal to insure you. I had this when (back in the day) I had a hot hatch with a clean insurance record, one year my insurer - Direct Line - declined to insure the car because they had decided not to cover hot hatchbacks any more. It has never caused me a problem (but it has cost Direct Line any business they might have had from me). Sounds like the insurer doesn't like the location and there will be a reason for that, I would ask some more questions before leaving a vehicle there.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Perhaps the storage area/compound is in an unacceptable or high risk area and the ins. co. are not prepared to insure the risk..just a thought.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back