In for a penny.... (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Well, not even picked up our 1st mh yet (beginning March), I am planning a skiing trip to livigno, Italy approx 3 weeks after!

Looking for route advice really - oddly the routes in the ski section refer to spain etc! Mod please move if necessary.

Plan is friday down to dover, mid afternoon crossing to calais, drive a couple of hrs then find an aire (hopefully recognising what one looks like!). 6/7 hrs next day to another aire approx 3hrs short of livigno then an easy cruise to campsite sunday - same in reverse next weekend but leaving later on Friday so more mileage sat. Both myself and wife driving, van chausson best of 510. Viamichelin with caravan setting 19 odd hours, hopefully left plenty of leeway (wouldn't be a disaster to add a day).

This is definitely a case of have motorhome and gonna use it so not bothered if flying cheaper/quicker!

I'm also aware we will be blasting past many worthwhile places to visit & I fully intend to in the future - just not this trip!

Will be using satnav but any reccomendations welcome & please be gentle.......!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Wow, have a great trip.
I assume you have got winterised MH and have got required tyres and snow chains ?
Do post some updates, we love news of first trips.:)

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Invest in one of the many "Aires" books. Vicarious Books could be a good shop to look at. Best books in my van are 'Camperstop' and 'All the Aires (for wherever you are going)'. Combined with your sat nav, you should have no trouble finding the best Aires.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Lovely motorhome our first one was a 510 loved it. :) Have a fabulous trip.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
This is definitely a case of have motorhome and gonna use it so not bothered if flying cheaper/quicker!

I'm also aware we will be blasting past many worthwhile places to visit & I fully intend to in the future - just not this trip!.....!

Couldn't agree more with that attitude (y)

Back in 2014 my youngest son got married at Malcesine Castle, L. Garda and everyone of the guests flew out there, except my attitude was the same as yours and I took the motorhome.
It was a 'whistle stop' drive there and back, but as you rightly say, all the lovely places we saw enroute are still there to be visited at later dates.

I can't help with your route, as we sailed out of Newcastle and went in via IJmuiden, Netherlands and stopped for one night in Switzerland.

Enjoy your trip and looking forward to an update on your return.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Go for it. Sounds like a cracking plan. I think you need to invest in a vignette for Switzerland. Last known price was 40 swiss francs if youre under 3.5 tonne. This lasts a year. If youre over the weight i think it might be cheaper but others will advise or search on site for the answers. You are only one message away from having to join us for 15 quid to get numerous other answers and being able to search this forum.
In terms of which way i would go for your trip (others would go other ways) I would hit the belgian motorways as they are free and i am a tight fisted motorhomer. Its also the route that makes most sense
dependant upon what time you land you will probably want to find your aire in daylight. Bergues is half an hour away and used regularly by many (and its free) but no dump or water fill up, which may be a good idea to not be full of water for the weight you carry on your main trip down. If you fancy a 3 hour journey then i would recommend Givet (just in france) where there is an aire to fill up just outside a campsite, however i would just pick up and dump if i needed to then go back into the town and over the only bridge and turn right and join the other motorhomes that are bound to be there and park there facing the river and you can see over the river and the other side of the river is lit up at night in different colours. Technically its called wild camping but every time we have been there at least 5 vans parking there and you sort of have to get used to the french and their way of living which is completely different to ours and they just seem to do what ever they want.
We have suffered in Switzerland with free aires. Some are marked up but they just dont exist so i would be tempted to stop just short (4 hours from Basle to Livigno on googles calculations) and then stop along the Rhine somewhere either in Germany or France. I remember one that was in Germany right next to a dam beginning with a K i think and about 7 miles north of Basle Just found it Kembs. you can park right next to the river again then you can buy your vignette the next day at more or less any petrol station.

Things to remember in my opinion are to fill up in Luxembourg ! Dont be tempted to park overnight on any aires on motorways. You are shooting through the stunning Alsace region and if you can spare 3 or 4 hours go off the motorway and get an idea of the area for future trips. Strasbourg is a great stop. Not a great aire but great town. Pop into Eguishem if at all possible and stay the night there. Dudelange in luxembourg is a great for popping into Luxembourg city on train. Buy a blue badge from supermarket or tourist information. This is a timing thing for free parking and cost about 3 euros. You can then park and show your time of arrival in designated spots which have a 2/4/6/8 hour limit. It is especially difficult to park in switzerland without one and this badge can be used in other european countries as well. I dont know about the passes that you will use in Switzerland to get to Livigno but the vignette probably covers them but you will need to check.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Thanks for the encouraging & helpful replies! TBH the only reason I'm feeling confident enough to do this is by reading LOTS of past posts about the technical side & being inspired by your collective travels & sense of adventure!

To cover a few points raised:

New van apparently has a decent level of winterisation as standard - will be getting vent covers, full length insulation screens for front, snow chains & fitting winter tyres. Taken on board advice re open waste tap into bucket & will be on a campsite with hook up. Eberspacher heating fitted so much lower gas consumption. Weight under 3.5T.

Was thinking of getting a satnav such as snoooper ventura that has aires ASCI etc pre-loaded - may just load co-pilot if I don't get round to it! Another plus for the snooper is the built in HD dash cam though don't want to kick off another best satnav thread lol! Will defo get camperstop & all the aires in hardback as back up.

Great advice re route & overnight stops - the smoother I can make the experience the better experience for our first trip - don't want to scare the wife!

On pick-up, we'll be spending that night on campsite which also conveniently houses dealer to check for any glaring issues - probably another night or two to avoid looking like total idiots on the continent! (expect to fail on that score..!)

Obviously no experience of getting a vignette - just stop before the border or after?

Thanks again for the encouragement & will definitely keep you updated

And lastly, subs already paid up as soon as deposit on MH paid!

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
It all sounds really exciting....lots of pictures and updates please. Have fun. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Ok, north Wales - Givet (tough leg I realise but two drivers, no kids!), then Givet to Lucerne Switzerland (wife fancies seeing Lucerne), Lucerne to Livigno aiming to get there mid afternoon on the Sunday .

Won't bore you with any more details until nearer the time but advice still welcome - didn't realise how exciting the planning is!

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ok, north Wales - Givet (tough leg I realise but two drivers, no kids!), then Givet to Lucerne Switzerland (wife fancies seeing Lucerne), Lucerne to Livigno aiming to get there mid afternoon on the Sunday .

Won't bore you with any more details until nearer the time but advice still welcome - didn't realise how exciting the planning is!
Planning is great, and sounds like you are doing all the right things in your preparation and by having the camperstop app or book, you can easily amend your plans as the mood or circumstance, takes you.

Really looking forward to your updates.:)

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

At this stage i have 4 cunning plans for our Easter break.
1) was down to Florence and back but the road back is the Amalfi Coast and i m not taking our motorhome down there !
2) is/was Berck for Kite festival then Normandy beaches St Mont Michel, Brittany down to Vendee and back sort of direct
3) Berck kite festival, down to Fontainebleu and follow the Clermont road and see a bit of the Auvergne
4) Berck Kite festival, hammer it down to Sete/Narbonne/Perpignan
5) Berck kite festival then Troyes and through Champagne region

What we have decided is : Berck Kite festival !

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Always

If youre going to do Wales to Givet it may be dark when you get there. I ve just taken a look on google maps and it now says "Motorhome emplacements" where i suggested. Set Satnav for "quai heroes de la resistance" and you can see a couple of motorhomes parked up waiting for you. Use Bergues as your back up in case of delays or fatigue

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
At this stage i have 4 cunning plans for our Easter break.
1) was down to Florence and back but the road back is the Amalfi Coast and i m not taking our motorhome down there !
2) is/was Berck for Kite festival then Normandy beaches St Mont Michel, Brittany down to Vendee and back sort of direct
3) Berck kite festival, down to Fontainebleu and follow the Clermont road and see a bit of the Auvergne
4) Berck Kite festival, hammer it down to Sete/Narbonne/Perpignan
5) Berck kite festival then Troyes and through Champagne region

What we have decided is : Berck Kite festival !
Surely the Amalfi coast not on way back from Florence?

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Down to Pisa and Lucca and then along the coast road by cunque terra

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We did that trip, coast lovely once you actually hit Cinque Terra. My understanding of Almalfi Coast is further south Of Naples, Sorrento etc,
The Cinque Terra coast and north the Italian Riviera?
Doesn't matter really, just have a great trip.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We did that trip, coast lovely once you actually hit Cinque Terra. My understanding of Almalfi Coast is further south Of Naples, Sorrento etc,
The Cinque Terra coast and north the Italian Riviera?
Doesn't matter really, just have a great trip.
Your understanding is correct and I am racking my brains to work out who told me that road was around Cinque terra.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Obviously no experience of getting a vignette - just stop before the border or after?

I got mine at a service area before the border, just took my V5 and CofC to a till and paid. To the best of my recollection, I can't remember the girl on the till checking my documents.

It makes sense to me to buy before entering, just in case you get stopped on the other side of the border without one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Great, thanks.

Campsite booked & about to book ferry - p&o cheapest at £162 for standard ticket??? Any tips here for a discount?

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you are going over again this year then you should use the tunnel. (wish I would take my own advice) because you can get someone on here to share 10 journeys (or 5 return trips) on the tunnel and it last worked out at 110 nicker a return. You could take 2 or 3 of the return journeys and they could take the remainder. Otherwise be prepared to pay the price but book it up on someone elses computer as they have recognised that you want to book it up somehow by their cookies. Sometimes Dunkirk is cheaper its half hour longer but half hour from Calais to Dunkirk which you would have to pass

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Got it for £144 - no turning back now! Having checked route realised it uses the vereina tunnel train - don't tell the other half - she doesn't like heights.....!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back