In car charger..Bizarre! (1 Viewer)

Jun 26, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi all can anyone help ? The plug into the cigarette lighter socket charger that we use for our sat nav no longer works. The led on the plug in charger illuminates and also if I put the cig lighter in it als works. However despite all usb leads being checked and indeed trying other plug in chargers which all work fine in other vehicles they just don’t charge from this one??? Had same charger in it working fine until a few days ago???

OP
OP
Pagen
Jun 26, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have three of these chargers one being brand new. All work fine in other vehicles. As do the usb leads. Nothing has changed as far as I am aware ..went in for mot then next time I used it the problem was happening???

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
For the sake of a couple of ÂŁ I would changed the cig socket

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pagen
Jun 26, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sorry guys Big 1 and Vipar for my lack of understanding. Do you mean there is some sort of fuse to do with the lighter assembly itself that is not allowing it to charge whereas it still lights the led on the plug in chargers and also heats a fag lighter red hot ? And if so is changing the lighter assembly an easy job to do?

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Can you open your satnav plug? I had a TV and when i opened the plug (one screw) could see that one wire was barely connected by the tiniest bit of solder. New Plug, job done.

OP
OP
Pagen
Jun 26, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Appreciate what your saying re sat nav but it isn’t just that that isn’t charging it’s my iPhone too ! I am totally puzzled to be honest

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
If all leads work in another socket. Then by normal reasoning it must be the socket that’s why I recommend that you change it.

Plug in the sat nav lead and see what voltage it is supplying to the sat nav

OP
OP
Pagen
Jun 26, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi Vipar how do I see what voltage it’s supplying to the sat nav ? I understand your logic in changing the socket but just don’t understand why cigarette lighter in it works fine so obviously power there ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Try changing the fuse that feeds the socket they can partly blow so still look OK but have gone high resistance.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Try changing the fuse that feeds the socket they can partly blow so still look OK but have gone high resistance.
If there is a bad connection somewhere in the socket wiring - loose terminal, partly broken wire, break inside the insulation, corroded fuse or as suggested partly blown fuse, this can cause a high resistance. Measuring the socket voltage with a multimeter will show a good working voltage, but as soon as you draw any amps from the socket, its voltage will fall, and any connected device might not function.

Enough voltage to light an LED, maybe, but not enough to power the device fully.

OP
OP
Pagen
Jun 26, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi all and thank you very much yet again for your suggestions. In the end cleaned the lighter socket both side and bottom contacts plus replaced the 15 a fuse even though it seemed ok. Also changed usb lead for phone and all works properly again đź‘Ť have to say Motorhomefun is such brilliant place to reassure and advise all things Mo Ho and beyond! Ta Paul

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all and thank you very much yet again for your suggestions. In the end cleaned the lighter socket both side and bottom contacts plus replaced the 15 a fuse even though it seemed ok. Also changed usb lead for phone and all works properly again đź‘Ť have to say Motorhomefun is such brilliant place to reassure and advise all things Mo Ho and beyond! Ta Paul
Some differential diagnosis would help us understand which of your remedial steps, sorted the problem or problems.
Was it the contacts? Was it the fuse? Was it the USB?
Anyway, pleased you sorted itđź‘Ť

OP
OP
Pagen
Jun 26, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ref Ingwe differential diagnosis I think retrospectively that the usb lead I charge the phone with was the culprit. The in car plug in charger has two ports one supplies the Tom Tom and other the phone. The Tom Tom normally switches itself on as soon as powered up ie ignition on and start up. However.....I believe now the tom
Tom was as flat as a witches tit as I have been shielding since Noah built the Arc! and vehicle only occasionally started up in drive . My logic at the time was oower missus tom Tom AND phone not receiving charge but now I believe that not to be the case and just the phone lead was naff. The sat nav was just flat and waiting to build up its charge. Thanks again for all advice đź‘Ť

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back