Important- EU cross border directive (driving) starts 6.5.17 (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just a reminder that the cross border directive starts for UK drivers in EU countries on the 6.5.17.

What is it ?

The directive covers eight specified offences – drink-driving, drug-driving, speeding, jumping red lights, forbidden lane contraventions, handheld mobile phone use, seat belts, and not wearing a helmet.

If you’re driving in a country that’s part of the directive (most except Portugal I think) and commit one of these crimes, it will become easier to prosecute you.

As I understand it you will be fined according to the country you committed the offence in. That could be a major fine in countries like Norway, up to 10% of your annual income for each speeding offence!!!:Eeek:

As I also understand it you don't get points on your licence though.:pray:
More details : http://etsc.eu/faq-eu-cross-border-enforcement-directive/
Be careful out there....

Last edited:

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Thanks for the heads up.(y)
Not going to Norway in the distant future, but does it still cover them, coz they arent in the EU?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just a reminder that the cross border directive starts for UK drivers in EU countries on the 6.5.17.

What is it ?

The directive covers eight specified offences – drink-driving, drug-driving, speeding, jumping red lights, forbidden lane contraventions, handheld mobile phone use, seat belts, and not wearing a helmet.

If you’re driving in a country that’s part of the directive (most except Portugal I think) and commit one of these crimes, it will become easier to prosecute you.

As I understand it you will be fined according to the country you committed the offence in. That could be a major fine in countries like Norway, up to 10% of your annual income for each speeding offence!!!:Eeek:

As I also understand it you don't get points on your licence though.:pray:
More details : http://etsc.eu/faq-eu-cross-border-enforcement-directive/
Be careful out there....
As they are removing the financial & science offices from the UK ,as it will no longer be in the EU , & at a loss of 1000+ jobs then the first reply should be 'off'. But to comply with the " you are still in the EU" then send them the same po box number for all requests.(y)
Not going to Norway in the distant future, but does it still cover them, coz they arent in the EU?

Yes , as it is in the EEA it has to comply automatically & without any input.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Yes as Gus-lopez says. Also have driven the MH twice there, and the locals stick rigidly the speed limits in built up areas now you know why!!!! The Norwegian Police also hide automatic speed traps in remote areas, how do I know, because something was telling me ;) Only uninformed tourists like many German MH's who have not read about the Norwegian speeding fines drive at their normal warp factor speed!!!
Many Norwegian roads are quite narrow and the older tunnels dark and wet, so care needed.
Are you going to go up to the Lofoten Islands? Stunning (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Yes as Gus-lopez says. Also have driven the MH twice there, and the locals stick rigidly the speed limits in built up areas now you know why!!!! The Norwegian Police also hide automatic speed traps in remote areas, how do I know, because something was telling me ;) Only uninformed tourists like many German MH's who have not read about the Norwegian speeding fines drive at their normal warp factor speed!!!
Many Norwegian roads are quite narrow and the older tunnels dark and wet, so care needed.
Are you going to go up to the Lofoten Islands? Stunning (y)
Thanks for info. Norway on our list of places to visit(y)

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
That might finally get the foreign drivers to stick to 40 on the A20 going into Dover then....
Yes but apparently there is a loophole :doh: The UK law says the driver must be fined, but the EU system is identifying the owner/keeper of the vehicle, they might be able to tie up the system in BS. French law dictates the owner/ keeper is liable so I read!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
On my 40th birthday, I got done for speeding in France. On the spot fine. After he saw my I'D, he said 'Bon Anniversary. If you were driving 5km per hour faster, it would be double the amount.'
Those UK drivers who used to belt through French speed cameras ( so the Gendames say) on their way to the south will now automatically get a speed ticket sent to them courtesy of info from the DVLA.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Those UK drivers who used to belt through French speed cameras ( so the Gendames say) on their way to the south will now automatically get a speed ticket sent to them courtesy of info from the DVLA.

.......but as I understand it, there's no provision in English law for the French to enforce payment in English courts.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
.......but as I understand it, there's no provision in English law for the French to enforce payment in English courts.
Interestingly a bit grey (maybe the lawyers on here can help @pyro)
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/criminal/recognition-decision/financial-penalties/index_en.htm
Looks like If you don't cough up when the letter is sent to you, the fines will go up to the maximum. If you don't pay and go back to the country in question the authorities can legally stop you and deal with you as a local! Will be interesting if this kind of information is shared with police at border controls for people coming from the UK. That would be a sure fire way of catching the vehicle in question anyway. If the local laws allow impounding of the vehicle until the fines were paid that could be a possibility???

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Do you all not think that speedin kills no mater what language thay speed stick to the prescribed speed limits and the law and you have nothing to worry abut
If you don't want to expose your self to continental lews
Stay in the uk
Bill

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Do you all not think that speedin kills no mater what language thay speed stick to the prescribed speed limits and the law and you have nothing to worry abut
Stay in the uk
Bill
I agree, but in the confusion of continental signage and different languages and driving on the 'wrong side' and tram tracks (and their different traffic light systems) and navigating through unknown places. Or of course deal with the ridiculous European system where a red light does not necessarily mean stop if you are turning right, and everybody including pedestrians think they have right of way at a crossing! it can be easy sometimes to go through a wrong lane or traffic light etc, this is not just about speeding. There may not be as much leeway for confused UK drivers anymore!

Yes you can stay in the UK and miss out on European adventures :(

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes but apparently there is a loophole :doh: The UK law says the driver must be fined, but the EU system is identifying the owner/keeper of the vehicle, they might be able to tie up the system in BS. French law dictates the owner/ keeper is liable so I read!!!
there's another loophole as well in that the fine here would be attached to the vehicle.:) Just means I'd have to sell it to you.:sneaky:

No, but they'd get there own back by stopping you from using the Dartford & Severn crossings, all French run.:LOL:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I agree, but in the confusion of continental signage and different languages and driving on the 'wrong side' and tram tracks (and their different traffic light systems) and navigating through unknown places. Or of course deal with the ridiculous European system where a red light does not necessarily mean stop if you are turning right, and everybody including pedestrians think they have right of way at a crossing! it can be easy sometimes to go through a wrong lane or traffic light etc, this is not just about speeding. There may not be as much leeway for confused UK drivers anymore!

Yes you can stay in the UK and miss out on European adventures :(
There's a wealth of information on the internet regarding driving in each country in the Europe
I won't worry to much just read up before traveling
Even in the uk the Highway Code changes and it is each drivers responsibilitie to keep up to date on current legislation regarding ther conduct on the highway Wherever thay drive
I have driven all over the world in all road conditions.
With no isues

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
There's a wealth of information on the internet regarding driving in each country in the Europe
I won't worry to much just read up before traveling
Even in the uk the Highway Code changes and it is each drivers responsibilitie to keep up to date on current legislation regarding ther conduct on the highway Wherever thay drive
I have driven all over the world in all road conditions.
With no isues

The Highway Code is not legislation. It has even been proven to incorrectly state the legislation.

It may however be pesuasive in a Court that one was 'Driving without due care and attention'. I think it would be less likely to support a case of 'Dangerous driving' or causing 'Death by .....

Geoff

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The Highway Code is not legislation. It has even been proven to incorrectly state the legislation.

It may however be pesuasive in a Court that one was 'Driving without due care and attention'. I think it would be less likely to support a case of 'Dangerous driving' or causing 'Death by .....

Geoff
Maybe not legislation but a code of the hi way signage and a cod of conduct
Never mentiond Dangeruous driving or Causing Death by
It is a code maybe I put legislation maybe over working my post
Sorry if it caused any confusion
Bill

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
On my 40th birthday, I got done for speeding in France. On the spot fine. After he saw my I'D, he said 'Bon Anniversary. If you were driving 5km per hour faster, it would be double the amount.'
And if you go very fast, they will impound your car pending a court hearing whereby the judge will decide the fine and punishment.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
We are, in August, any info gratefully accepted.
We got the Ferry from Bodo, beautiful crossing on our trip, blue skies with the snow capped Lofotens getting ever closer, stunning. There is a carpark right at the southern tip where we overnighted (with other MH'ers) after leaving the ferry (turn left down the slightly rough road) it says no overnight parking but there was no problem. There is a beautiful walk from there to right on the end of the islands. The tourist information centres have plenty of information on what you can do and one is in one of the first towns you come to going north. We wild Camped but also did a few sites, there are also some water/sewage facilities (marked in camper contact). We eventually drove to the north and went over the bridge to the mainland, sorry to leave :(

Are you planning on doing route 17 ??? That really is the starter and the Lofotens the main dish, on route 17 we did 7/8 ferries and basically mini cruises, passing the Arctic circle by boat (y)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We got the Ferry from Bodo, beautiful crossing on our trip, blue skies with the snow capped Lofotens getting ever closer, stunning. There is a carpark right at the southern tip where we overnighted (with other MH'ers) after leaving the ferry (turn left down the slightly rough road) it says no overnight parking but there was no problem. There is a beautiful walk from there to right on the end of the islands. The tourist information centres have plenty of information on what you can do and one is in one of the first towns you come to going north. We wild Camped but also did a few sites, there are also some water/sewage facilities (marked in camper contact). We eventually drove to the north and went over the bridge to the mainland, sorry to leave :(

Are you planning on doing route 17 ??? That really is the starter and the Lofotens the main dish, on route 17 we did 7/8 ferries and basically mini cruises, passing the Arctic circle by boat (y)

In the planning process atm but thinking of going north through Sweden and then sloooowly heading south through Norway with a trip to visit friends in Bergen. Have as long as it takes and the weather permits.

Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
In the planning process atm but thinking of going north through Sweden and then sloooowly heading south through Norway with a trip to visit friends in Bergen. Have as long as it takes and the weather permits.

Thanks for the info.
We found there was a lot of iron ore mining in the north of Sweden, so not as picturesque, however if you want to see how a single company can own a whole town/province it's an eye opener!!!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We found there was a lot of iron ore mining in the north of Sweden, so not as picturesque, however if you want to see how a single company can own a whole town/province it's an eye opener!!!

We've been told by Norwegian friends to use the Swedish roads to get as far north as we want to go then come back slowly through Norway. Hopefully there will be something to see on the way north.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
We've been told by Norwegian friends to use the Swedish roads to get as far north as we want to go then come back slowly through Norway. Hopefully there will be something to see on the way north.
If you are going up that far you may as well go to Nordkapp and get the badge, even in June it felt like the edge of the known universe (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That might finally get the foreign drivers to stick to 40 on the A20 going into Dover then....
Please doNOT mention that bloody restriction they put on that bit of road, two days to put on and collect the fines from UK drivers and it has atken 6 months since they said it is coming off, 'because of administration difficulties' quick on and very slow off still collecting fine though. Dover Harbour Board was behind most of it with the Kent polic jumping in with camera van as well as the fixed distance cameras. mI will not go down it now as it is so stupid trundling along a motorway class road at ld understand 50 but 40 for 6 miles of completely empty road, it operates 24/7 regardless of being needed which was once this year only. Bah Humbug!!!!!!!!!!!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Stay in the uk
Bill
SPEED has never killed, it is hitting something or someone that kills, inappropriate limits are not safety related and that is why they get ignored . Hitting a pedestrian at 30 is just as bad as 80 they are still dead.
The motorcyclist that hit the turning car in Suffolk was doing 98mph when he hit the car. The car driver got 5 years for causing death by dangerous driving. He did not see the bike as it was coming up behind another car to the junction and then overtook. The limit on that road is 60 . So who caused the accident, not the dead one as he was past prosecuting. the survivor got it. Had it been a pedestrian with a pram that was hit,at 98mph. Would it have been the same?????

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
SPEED has never killed, it is hitting something or someone that kills, inappropriate limits are not safety related and that is why they get ignored . Hitting a pedestrian at 30 is just as bad as 80 they are still dead.
The motorcyclist that hit the turning car in Suffolk was doing 98mph when he hit the car. The car driver got 5 years for causing death by dangerous driving. He did not see the bike as it was coming up behind another car to the junction and then overtook. The limit on that road is 60 . So who caused the accident, not the dead one as he was past prosecuting. the survivor got it. Had it been a pedestrian with a pram that was hit,at 98mph. Would it have been the same?????
Pleas do tell that to my nice who lost two sons
Two wonderful guys with ther hole life ahead of them call it what ever you like
Thay wer killed in incedents eight years a part by drivers exeding the speed limits and one exeding the speed limit and on his phone
Don't tell me that speeding dose not kill it dose totally offended disgusted by your reply to my post you
Speed limits are in place for a reson
And should be adheard to
Bill

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Pleas do tell that to my nice who lost two sons
Two wonderful guys with ther hole life ahead of them call it what ever you like
Thay wer killed in incedents eight years a part by drivers exeding the speed limits and one exeding the speed limit and on his phone
Don't tell me that speeding dose not kill it dose totally offended disgusted by your reply to my post you
Speed limits are in place for a reson
And should be adheard to
Bill
You are absolutely right Bill, there is a vast difference in life expectancy and recovery rates from a human being hit at 30 MPH or lower, compared to higher speeds, It is well documented and researched, there is no excuse whatsoever for speeding or using a mobile. My sincere condolences to your family.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of speeding, I have just spent some time trolling through the interweb and can find no mention still of an agreement between any mainland Europe country and the UK DVLA to pass on driver / vehicle details..
Yes, mention of the initiative mentioned in the OP but it looks like not a lot will change unless an agreement to exchange information is reached.

Can anyone point to info pertaining at all ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back