Impartial and Independent Motorhome Reviews (1 Viewer)

Laughing Gravy

Free Member
Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
Hi there

Something that has been bothering me for a while

I will keep the question simple

When will we see a truly independent review of a Motorhome ?

All I appear to see on Internet reviews are flavours on how great and fantastic every Motorhome is. I want to see the flaws of a Motorhome as well as it’s good points

Maybe this is unfair and argue back if it is, but 99% of reviewers appear to be in the back pockets of either the Motorhome company or the dealer supplying the “custom special’

We don’t have this problem in the car industry and there are true independent reviewers out there

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Have a look on here for some dealer reviews which might contain some of the information needed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
German magazine Promobil tend to give independent reviews.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tonks68

Free Member
Mar 28, 2020
South East
Funster No
MH
Hopefully one day
Exp
I’m a newbie
I agree. Similar with caravans where the review is more or less about the layout rather than the build quality etc.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I remember in the 90's i was manufacturing graphics for a well know company.
The top motorhome magazine testers would come to the factory and be given a van to test. The van was driven to the farmers field next door and the tester would unload his boxes full of items you would associate with living in the van.
These were set up in the van and the photo shoot was underway.
After a short while everything was removed, the van put back in the yard and that was it. I eagerly awaited the report two months later and how disappointed was I. Apparently they had toured the north east and stayed on several sites whilst putting this motorhome through it's paces.
What a load of tosh. It actually covered less than 1000 yards and was not used for anything other than a photo session.
NEVER put all your trust in reviews unless they are from Jim.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
How true, used to do the same with motorbike magazines, were given a bike, told to try and break it ( literally) for a week and then the *tester* would write up a review but were terrified of negative comments as frightened to lose advertising revenue! ( No names no pack drill I might want to do some more !) Best place is to camp outside Bruntingthorpe and watch what goes in, all the car and bike mags tend to use it for speed testing mid week. Elvington in Yorks is another favourite

OP
OP
L

Laughing Gravy

Free Member
Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
wiljoy

Not sure anything has changed since then.

In fact professional motorbike reviews follow a similar pattern with journalists all invited out to exotic places for the launch if the new motorcycle products. Wined and dined and as a consequence not a bad word to say about the new motorbike

Need to get the fella from Carwow on the case - Mat Watson. He would sort it out

Don’t think he likes any motorhomes though !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Same with all magazines, years ago when I had my audio business ( Mixers & amps for the music industry) a mag had one of our mixers for a review then kept phoning for advertising. We didn't place an add so the review didn't get published.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I remember watching a MMM video review of the then new 2015 Flair. As an owner I watched with absolute amazement as the twerp lifted the locker door to the BLACK tank, he pointed to it and said a lovely large fresh water tank!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
according to a boiler company rep even" which" demand payments even if you top one of their surveys they call it support charges or something other than bribe

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I always found Dave Hurrell’s (of MMM fame) reviews annoying; he comes across as having an anti-european manufacturers bias.

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The trouble is you need to live in van three weeks before you can give it an objective review. Yes, you can run an experienced eye over stuff and have a good idea about how it should turn out. But trust me you just never know how good or bad it is till you spend time in it.

I've noticed a few more magazine reviews mention payload a little more these days, I do wonder if we've had anything to do with that :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back