I'm coming round to the 'Drive thru France' to Spain idea..... (1 Viewer)

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Anyone travelling with Brittany Ferries needs to be very accurate with the overall length of their motorhome. They have a habit of checking.

Reactions: f6c

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Heading down to Spain taking ten days going down, and same coming back booked on tunnel leave 18th Jan back 18th April,
going the western route, calling into twin lakes for a couple of days fishing, and say hello to Garry & Jan mainly aires no real plan fed up of all the rain.
ps
train because we have small dog, far better than leaving her in m/home on short ferry trip or in kennels on longer routes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Heading down to Spain taking ten days going down, and same coming back booked on tunnel leave 18th Jan back 18th April,
going the western route, calling into twin lakes for a couple of days fishing, and say hello to Garry & Jan mainly aires no real plan fed up of all the rain.
ps
train because we have small dog, far better than leaving her in m/home on short ferry trip or in kennels on longer routes

Say hello to Gary from Mike and Nikki for me. He is such a nice guy. (y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We've decided to pop down to errrr somewhere in March. We have 10 days and tunnel booked.
Were will just go for it though. We can both drive and know we can make the pyrenees in one long day. Once there well make a decision where to go.
Would never consider a ferry.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Interested in cheap tunnel rate.
Multibuy is £59 each way for motorhome ow do you get £39, is this ferry?

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
Add up the true costs. Depreciation, servicing, fuel, tolls, stops. And in winter the weather risk.
i don't understand the depreciation argument as a van will loose value sitting on the drive, a few extra miles won't effect the value alot

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Have just booked the ferry to Santander for the first time - am dreading it but hubby insists we try it. Think I may have to overdose on Sturgeron.
Don't worry the ships are well stabilised. Done that crossing a dozen times and never felt iffy,,,

Deleted User
i don't understand the depreciation argument as a van will loose value sitting on the drive, a few extra miles won't effect the value alot

If you look at motor valuation publications they will all show a mileage dependent figure for depreciation.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Don't worry the ships are well stabilised. Done that crossing a dozen times and never felt iffy,,,
Promise???
seasick.jpg

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
No snow in France now (except perhaps in the mountains). Servicing costs on the MH are the same whether its used or not, as its done on time not mileage. Tyres replaced every 5 years regardless of mileage. Taking dogs on ferries is a pain.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
If you look at motor valuation publications they will all show a mileage dependent figure for depreciation.

No snow in France now (except perhaps in the mountains). Servicing costs on the MH are the same whether its used or not, as its done on time not mileage. Tyres replaced every 5 years regardless of mileage. Taking dogs on ferries is a pain.

I think most of us who buy motorhomes do so with the intention of using and enjoying them. Depreciation is only an issue if you decide to sell. The more you use it the cost per mile becomes less, but the overall running cost increases. Driving through France or taking a ferry to Spain is a matter of personal choice and circumstances and neither option will suit everyone.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Sorry .. just a quick one re toll roads. We almost always find them quicker over distance. Esp when heading south. We get extensive use out of our tag and it works very well for us.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
We like the Plymouth - Santander trip on the Pont Avon, spoiling ourselves with dinner in the restaurant and drinks in the Piano Bar. We have also been very lucky this year on the whale watching front. :xlaugh:

Another thumbs up for the Pont Avon, despite the rough weather in the channel the boat is really comfortable and we find the crossing is all part of our winter adventure. We really do not understand the "I'm a motor homer so I prefer to drive rather than sail" argument. I'm a biped but I prefer to fly rather than walk........................

The Tincas

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
no it was refitted a couple years ago no a bad boat now, we came back on it in january with @busby

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We're on Cap Finistere on 27th Jan - is it an old rust bucket? Should I be worried?

That old thing, it's so likely to sink they run with the life boats already in the water, so just jump and you're bound to land in a life boat. But do wear your life vest, the life boats are just as old.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
We're on Cap Finistere on 27th Jan - is it an old rust bucket? Should I be worried?

The ship is OK but the driver can be a bit unreliable. Last time I sailed with him to Santander we all ended up in Alexandria. He swore blind his Tom Tom sent him the wrong way. :)

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015

Totally agree. If you worried about depreciation then you would not buy a MH in the first place.

Deleted User
Totally agree. If you worried about depreciation then you would not buy a MH in the first place.

If not worried about depreciation in the thousands then why such concern about a couple of hundred on ferry costs or few quid in tolls?

Merry Christmas :xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back