I'm coming round to the 'Drive thru France' to Spain idea..... (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You don't have to worry about salt in Norfolk just Mud, Mud and more Mud. It certainly protects the underneath though.
We must have used all the mud up around this neck of the woods then ! Canna remember the last time I came across anything significant at all :)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
How on earth are you getting those sorts of mpg figures! 35mpg and 42mpg ... are you sure they're right????

Short question Minxy........... long answer follows :)

I drive at a constant speed whenever possible, usually 55mph indicated (51 on GPS) and use cruise control. I try to avoid short journeys, most are at least 50 miles each time. I accelerate moderately, decelerate using engine braking when possible. I use 6th gear when suitable and 1st gear just for getting the wheels turning. I change 'up' at around 2000 rpm but always before 2500 rpm. I look ahead and 'read' the road, if traffic is slowing then I simply 'lift off the throttle' before having to brake.

Lastly ..........................

I'm a bl@£dy good driver :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My 'worst' was 30.94 mpg which was when the van was new (first 605 miles)

My 'best' was 43.68 mpg which was over 672 miles in July 2014

My historical average is 36.39 over 32442 miles

All these figures are calculated on actual fuel used, not simply what the trip computer shows (which as it happens does seem to be fairly accurate)

When we chose the van, fuel efficiency was an important factor............. why burn more than necessary? (y)

Edit: have actually achieved 49mpg on very long journeys but all the short city stuff at the end dragged it down (that was of course on the trip computer)

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
We live in Devon 80 miles from Plymouth , and still choose to drive 260 miles to the tunnel , then down over France to Spain rather than us the poxy ferries , we,re going 27th Dec to Spain ,,, can't wait !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The saving once the cost of diesel is taken into account is approx £200 one way :eek:
:xgrin:

Are you saying you ignore all the running costs of the vehicle and possible site costs ?

Santander is not that expensive if you do the right sums.

Just booked Bilbao !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Okay, next question ... what PVC have you got?

I think, and I hope because we may be buying one on Friday that it is a Globecar with the Fiat 2.3 multijet 130 BHP Euro 5 engine. I have seen the forum name on the Globecar owners forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Are you saying you ignore all the running costs of the vehicle and possible site costs ?

Santander is not that expensive if you do the right sums.

Just booked Bilbao !

We do not have ANY site costs, our tyres rot away before they wear away..
Oil changes are pennies.. So what costs !!

And you get a quote for a 9 metre x 3 metre van with a bike on the back.. !!!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Several years ago I was vaguely involved in a test undertaken by a council to discover how long the salt is active for
It was still being sampled in mid June on some roads !!!!!!!!!!
Lightweights - we have salt all year round here.:xblink:
We live 200 yds from the beach in a nice salty atmospher, if outside gardening (something I try to avoid) in the prevaling wind you can feel the salt in your hair. Doesn't seem to worry our vehicles much. Wifes car is nearly 17 years old I sometimes wash it once a year if she is lucky, last time about 18 months ago, lives outside and always passes it's MOT.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Okay, next question ... what PVC have you got?
Minxy, I've said it before...........

If you are a GOAFER.......................... then I am just a GO :rolleyes:

Shall we just say you have good taste?

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I think, and I hope because we may be buying one on Friday that it is a Globecar with the Fiat 2.3 multijet 130 BHP Euro engine. I have seen the forum name on the Globecar owners forum.
Good man! (y)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Add up the true costs. Depreciation, servicing, fuel, tolls, stops. And in winter the weather risk.
I do agree that the 'actual' cost does involve depreciation etc................... but for 670 miles extra I would rather keep the £200 to £250 (depending on the ferry) in my pocket. I might not sell the van for years and then it won't matter anyway :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You need to get out more, just put 2 new fronts on after two rears.
Mine are coming up to 7 years old.. got about 34 k miles on them, have enough tread left to do another 34k easily
They are gonna be replaced late next March due entirely to age ( and the fact I dislike Michelin camper tyres intensely. They are bloody useless. Get more grip if they were made of cardboard and marbles ! )

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Forgot. The money not spent on a Bilboa ferry will MORE pay for 6 new tyres ( OK.. so I do have an account with the manufacturer and do get them at about 50% discount )

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Add up the true costs. Depreciation, servicing, fuel, tolls, stops. And in winter the weather risk.
There must also be a higher driving risk in poor winter weather and roads and inept French drivers :france:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
There must also be a higher driving risk in poor winter weather and roads and inept French drivers :france:
Shame on you! you should know what Scottish drivers are like in poor weather :eek::rolleyes:

Edit: for the benefit of anyone who does not get up here very often....... Scottish drivers are rubbish in bad weather

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Shame on you! you should know what Scottish drivers are like in poor weather :eek::rolleyes:

Edit: for the benefit of anyone who does not get up here very often....... Scottish drivers are rubbish in bad weather
LOL there was a wall on a bend near where I used to live and every winter it was demolished by someone......the guy gave up on it, now they just drive into the rubble.
Part of the problem is sat navs, people who have no idea what kind of ice and mud and fallen trees/branches/diesel and unlit farm vehicles inhabit the C road short cut their satnav just gave them. Belt along at ridiculous speeds and one day one of the above is lurking......

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL there was a wall on a bend near where I used to live and every winter it was demolished by someone......the guy gave up on it, now they just drive into the rubble.
Part of the problem is sat navs, people who have no idea what kind of ice and mud and fallen trees/branches/diesel and unlit farm vehicles inhabit the C road short cut their satnav just gave them. Belt along at ridiculous speeds and one day one of the above is lurking......

And there is NOTHING worse than a lurking Scottish wall ready to leap out at you !!! ( Darrell had a lurking Scottish cow issue when we was in the highlands in the summer on the bikes LOL !!! )

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
One thing I don't like about ferries is the engine vibration. Certainly couldn't put up with it/sleep on a long crossing.

Try it for 20 years!. After the first 2 you don't even know their running (until the lights go out!!) I used to miss it.

Once, First Night Home, after a Longish one, around 2am I am out of bed fumbling in the dark, SWMBO wakes up and asks "what the hell are you up to", My reply? "where's my Boiler suit and boots, the engines have stopped"!!.

Ah! Happy Days!.

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Yeh, But NO way as bad a TEXAN`s on the odd occasion it freezes. They actually closed the overpass` in Houston once because so many had "shunted!".

Pete

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Chocks you really should know better than to ask such an emotive/subjective question:D. Use the project management acronym JFDI for the answer (y) Enjoy your trip:cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back