Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
From the British embassy in Paris today
We are pleased to share some updates on driving licences, a topic that we know is causing some frustration and anxiety.

➡️ First and foremost, we want to reassure everyone that the French authorities have no intention of suddenly ceasing to recognise UK licences. In fact, it has recently been confirmed that UK licences will be recognised for one year from 1 January 2021. Details of the future exchange process beyond this date are still being decided. Before 31 December 2020, Brits who are resident in France for at least 185 days per year can apply to exchange their UK licence using the ANTS online platform if they wish to do so. For more information, please refer to the Living in France Guide (https://www.gov.uk/livinginfrance).

➡️ There is also good news for people who plan to visit France after the end of the Transition Period – UK licences will be recognised without any additional documentation. That means that there is no requirement for an International Driving Permit. You should, however, carry proof of insurance with you, which can be obtained from your provider.

We know that some of you who have previously applied to exchange your licence have experienced delays. A high volume of applications in 2019 caused a significant backlog in the French system. Although they have updated their processes there are still unfortunately some cases that are taking a bit longer to process and we are working with CERT to resolve urgent cases that we are aware of. We are not in a position to provide answers to individual cases but do contact us though our webform (https://www.contact-embassy.service.gov.uk/?country=France&post=British Embassy Paris) in urgent situations, e.g., if your UK licence and attestation have expired and you are unable to contact CERT.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Are there really people out there who think the various nations police forces have the resources or the inclination to pull UK vehicles up to go through your documents?

Ive been driving all over Europe for many years (including before the EU) and (touch wood) Ive been stopped by the Police one time - early afternoon breathalyser in France ( I hadnt been drinking)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Are there really people out there who think the various nations police forces have the resources or the inclination to pull UK vehicles up to go through your documents?

Ive been driving all over Europe for many years (including before the EU) and (touch wood) Ive been stopped by the Police one time - early afternoon breathalyser in France ( I hadnt been drinking)

We were stopped and car was searched once about 30 years ago ... a prisoner on the run so the armed police were road blocking ... serious weapons too 😉

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Been stopped several times, mainly for speeding. They were not interested in documentation, just getting the fine.
Bout 3 years ago stopped at 11 am for breathalyzer check, negative as it should be as i had not partook for day's.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No

One might be happy to have the right documents if involved in a serious collision.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Most of us tour several countries so recognition needs to be not just in country of residence but wherever one drives.

It might be difficult to keep up with it all.

Also the French announcement only covers the period to end of 2021, so one would have to be checking again towards the end of 2021 - easy to forget. And the same for other countries recognising for a set period.

Geoff

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I was stopped by the the police in Belgium last year and breathalysed coming out of a service area on our way back from our tour of Denmark and Norway. I offered him my documentation but he wasn’t interested once the test was clear. Ironic really as I don’t drink. I’d much rather be prepared though.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
The first paragraph of the embassy message is intended for Brits resident in France - and it's not entirely correct. For some time, licence exchange has only been permitted in limited circumstances - expiration, points imposed for offences, etc - as the earlier demand overwhelmed the system. That is still in place until 1/1/21, from when exchanges can be made until 31/12/21, although they are emphasising that there is no rush and they are asking that people stagger their applications through the year.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Been there. (Breath test, early afternoon) seen that, got the breath test tube as a souvenir.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Yes me....they will be out there next year, every intersection....out to get you...to punish you for leaving the EU....not joining the Euro, driving on the wrong side of the road, only speaking English, eating Fish and chips every Friday and Roast beef on Sunday with gravy...and puddings from Yorkshire included in the main course..not to mention warm beer...
They will never forget....enjoy the freedom now, it's all going to change....

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Well, you lot have been lucky. In the 10+ years I have lived in France, and driving a French vehicle, I have been stopped more times than ever in GB during 35+ years of driving in the GB.

Mainly lunch time early afternoons on roundabouts, gendarmes with rolls of breath testers draped over the road sign, their collegues not far away and armed

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We got pulled loads of times in our UK camper, I was breathalysed in Belgium at 10 o'clock and it was funny because the last time was in the UK in the 70s and the thing was small and went in your mouth, this policeman in Belgium the thing was about 2" 😲 I was thinking bloody hell I cant get that in my mouth, 😁 it took 4 or 5 attempts 😉 and No it doesn't go in your mouth ........ you blow in it. :rofl:
Janie said they were out in force today at Teulada, and I saw them this morning pulled a motorcycle first thing was across the bonnet and search him. 🤔 Bob.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes me....they will be out there next year, every intersection....out to get you...to punish you for leaving the EU....not joining the Euro, driving on the wrong side of the road, only speaking English, eating Fish and chips every Friday and Roast beef on Sunday with gravy...and puddings from Yorkshire included in the main course..not to mention warm beer...

No hablas espagnol?

How long have you lived there?

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Strange how experiences can vary. I've driven many 000s of kms here since I started house-hunting in 2003 and I can count the number of stops and checks on one hand. A cursory look through the Kontiki by douaniers somewhere near Carcassonne in 2003 and a 'What are you doing in France?' question from a gendarme at a road-check near St. Girons the same year. A few years ago, in the Passat travelling back from visiting friends in the Charente, I was pulled in amongst a line of cars near Vergt, south of Perigueux. When the gendarme saw the UK plates and RHD, he just waved me out of the line and on my way. Never been asked for any documents at any time.

Stopped twice this year for attestation checks outside the nearby town when shopping, again waved on without fuss.

I must just look honest.... :dance2:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Pete5996 I think there are also the Gendarmes who see a GB plate and think "nah, can't be bothered trying to understand them" .. in French of course. :LOL:

Conversely, my GB hgv driving friends tell me they get pulled frequently in France whilst I, in a French hgv have been pulled only once, and that confused the hell out of the young Gendarme, Englishman with an English licence driving a French hgv, he was not too happy until his superior explained the situation.

funny old world eh?

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Pete5996 I think there are also the Gendarmes who see a GB plate and think "nah, can't be bothered trying to understand them" .. in French of course. :LOL:

Conversely, my GB hgv driving friends tell me they get pulled frequently in France whilst I, in a French hgv have been pulled only once, and that confused the hell out of the young Gendarme, Englishman with an English licence driving a French hgv, he was not too happy until his superior explained the situation.

funny old world eh?

Yes, I think that is very much the case, much the same as my days in the UK. Left the continental drivers to Traffic Dept - far too complicated to take on! :giggle:

There are always a few, of course, who see a rich harvest in turning over foreigners, wherever they are.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Only ever been pulled twice in France. First time was in an aires de repos where I had stayed overnight last December 14th & the second 40 minutes later for weight check for commercials. He wasn't happy to find a camping car pulled in.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You just have to remind them why Europe is still a free place to roam around and not under a Nazi rule.,( Do mention the war ) (y) (y):LOL:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There is also good news for people who plan to visit France after the end of the Transition Period – UK licences will be recognised without any additional documentation. That means that there is no requirement for an International Driving Permit. You should, however, carry proof of insurance with you, which can be obtained from your provider.

Bloody typical !!!! Guess who just renewed his 1968 IDP !!!!!

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
This web page suggests if you hold an older paper licence, no photo, you MAY need the idp, good job im not going anywhere soon.....

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
This web page suggests if you hold an older paper licence, no photo, you MAY need the idp, good job im not going anywhere soon.....

Serious question, does anybody still have a paper licence?

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.