Idling/tickover on driveway during winter? (1 Viewer)

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
Hi all. Does anyone know if letting a campervan/motorhome idle/tickover for say 15 minutes (or longer?) has a beneficial effect during winter when it is not otherwise being used? I am thinking in particular of during the current lockdown in England, but I guess it would also apply to any winter period of a few weeks when the vehicle is not being driven. How long on idle/tickover is needed to replace the energy taken out of the battery during startup? Thanks.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
It's probably a bad idea and better to leave the engine off. Idling alone will take forever for the engine, and other components through to the exhaust to really get up to temperature. Engines are designed to run at load, and idling if it must be done, really should be with a warmed up engine.

For many modern engines with DPF and other sensors, the engines need to be operated at revs otherwise the sensors will get bunged up with expensive trip to the garage.

As above, if you cannot top up the motor battery from solar or similar, then best to expect to put the vehicle on a charger every fortnight or so to deal with the slight losses caused by alarms and similar.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably the best way of wrecking your engine, don't do it.
Modern diesel engines never reach operating temperature when started from cold and left on tick over, it's a good way of glazing the bores and the cold gases will also wreck the CAT & DPF.

You should always drive off immediately after starting.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
As above.
When out of lockdown take it for a good run,20 miles or more,that will also mean other components are in use.
Otherwise leave on ehu.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mr mrs tupcox

Free Member
May 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
10 years
If you dont need to drive and use why start it .
Not good plan run modern engines in this way ..

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Been covered many times on here and general concensess is DONT. If you can't take for decent drive leave well alone.
You will do more damage idling engine... it will never warm up properly.. if worried about battery get a charger.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi all. Does anyone know if letting a campervan/motorhome idle/tickover for say 15 minutes (or longer?) has a beneficial effect during winter when it is not otherwise being used? I am thinking in particular of during the current lockdown in England, but I guess it would also apply to any winter period of a few weeks when the vehicle is not being driven. How long on idle/tickover is needed to replace the energy taken out of the battery during startup? Thanks.
As many have already said, don’t do it, better to give the van a run for 40 mins just go t9 the supermarket, fuel station or travel to you place of exercise, distance is not legislated for so you permitted in lockdown.
No point in trying to save your battery but ruin your sensor or DPF and maybe needing a new exhaust before it’s time.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
So if no DPF, no CAT no EGR is it still a bad idea?
Yes.
It has no practical benefit other than giving you the comfort of knowing that at least the engine still starts.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you have no other way of charging the battery, then the vehicle needs to be started and driven at least once a month. Does that mean it's essential for you to to do this?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you have no other way of charging the battery, then the vehicle needs to be started and driven at least once a month. Does that mean it's essential for you to to do this?

It had trouble starting after first lockdown because not used much starter motor sticking I think, after quite a bit of starting/using when lockdown finished seems fine now just didn't want the same issues

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If you are planning a visit to the garage for an MOT, I always suggest a good high rev run before arriving at the garage. It gets the engine up to operating temperature so is better for emissions testing and cleans any surface rust off the brake discs if the van has sat for a while. Otherwise the mechanic doing the testing will sit there in the garage revving the nuts off your pride and joy to try and warm up the engine

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back