Identify Light Fitting and Suitable LED Bulbs (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I feel embarrassed asking so many questions!!

These are some of the light fittings on our van, the bulbs are missing in a few! These fittings are at each end of the bench seats and I'd like to use the light for reading so nice and bright :) LED would likely be our best option I guess to conserve power consumption?
20210706_163450.jpg

Thanks

John

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
You need the Led equivalent of these. eBay or Amazon. Ideally with the LEDs on the end rather than all the way around šŸ‘
Screenshot_20210706-193400.png

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I have fitted LED lamps to our van to replace the tungsten filament ā€˜ carā€™ type.
I had to switch the positive and negative wires over as the tungsten type can work on both positive or negative centre pin and/or lamp body.
LED lamps cannot and are polarity specified with I think positive being to the centre pin and earth to the lamp body.
If you fit LED lamps and they donā€™t work, try switching the positive and negative wires around on the lamp fitting.
But, as LED lamps are not cheap, why not buy some cheap Tungsten lamps to check that the lights are actually working first.šŸ¤—

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
A lot of LED's have a diode bridge built in, so polarity is not important.
Is was on the LED,s I bought Lenny.
Would not work in the light fitting one way so swapped the wires over and worked.
Did post this in a previous post when having problems with two of my LED single pin replacements for the more traditional , and older, filament type lamps in an internal habitation light fitting.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I have exactly the same light fittings, I swapped mine to LEDs a couple of years ago, just a straight swap.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Whilst your at it you might want to fit a couple of these usb sockets? Unscrew the light fitting, connect the wires in the back and screw everything back up. Probably 10 mins. No drilling required šŸ™‚
View attachment 513903
Amazon product ASIN B07TVNDY3P
Will that make them switched though, as the light is switched?
ie only on when the light is on, or are they wired into the wiring BEFORE the light, but on the same feed.?
Do you also not have to drill a small hole to take the wires from the usb fitting up into the back of where the feed is concealed, as is the light fitting?
Seem like a good idea though.
Very practical šŸ‘

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Will that make them switched though, as the light is switched?
ie only on when the light is on, or are they wired into the wiring BEFORE the light, but on the same feed.?
Do you also not have to drill a small hole to take the wires from the usb fitting up into the back of where the feed is concealed, as is the light fitting?
Seem like a good idea though.
Very practical šŸ‘
The light fitting has its own switch so as long as you connect to the incoming live cable the usb wont be affected by the light switch. This particular light fitting has spade connections so I just used 'Piggy back' spade connectors for easy connection (y)
The light fitting has a sort of bevelled flange around the outside where it sits against the cupboard base so to get the cable across I just bent a tiny portion of the flange down in the centre of the adjacent edge with a needle nosed pliers to form a little tunnel to allow the cable to enter. This is hidden by the body of the usb fitting.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
The light fitting has its own switch so as long as you connect to the incoming live cable the usb wont be affected by the light switch. This particular light fitting has spade connections so I just used 'Piggy back' spade connectors for easy connection (y)
The light fitting has a sort of bevelled flange around the outside where it sits against the cupboard base so to get the cable across I just bent a tiny portion of the flange down in the centre of the adjacent edge with a needle nosed pliers to form a little tunnel to allow the cable to enter. This is hidden by the body of the usb fitting.
Clever! šŸ‘
Think these are worth a look šŸ˜Š

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Strange but on post #13 I added the amazon link to the ones I bought. I can see the link on the post on my phone but its not there if I look on my laptop. Can you guys see the amazon link?

Upvote 0

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Strange but on post #13 I added the amazon link to the ones I bought. I can see the link on the post on my phone but its not there if I look on my laptop. Can you guys see the amazon link?
Yes, on an iPad. Pretty picture includedšŸ˜„

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks a lot for all the useful replies - the USB idea is a great one :)

@Itsmcb
What USB sockets did you buy and did you just connect the Pos/Neg wires into the supply side so always on? Do you have any links to the USB sockets and joining cable you used?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks a lot for all the useful replies - the USB idea is a great one :)

@Itsmcb
What USB sockets did you buy and did you just connect the Pos/Neg wires into the supply side so always on? Do you have any links to the USB sockets and joining cable you used?

Thanks
The link to the sockets from Amazon is in post #13 directly under the photo. If you can't see it you probably have an add blocker on your computer/phone. The sockets come with enough cable to reach and don't need extending.
These are the piggy back connectors I used, also from Amazon. If you can't see the links let me know and I'll take a couple of screen shots šŸ‘
Amazon product ASIN B00CX1WAO8

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back