I wish I knew this before making an insurance claim! (2 Viewers)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Stealaway

Late last year whilst driving onto levelling ramps, both ramps on the same side, front and rear, the front driving wheel skidded on wet grass and the van slid sideways and off the ramp. Damaged front bumper and quote to fix was / and is £1800. I claimed on the insurance.

So this turns out to be a fault claim. Come to renew my car insurance, despite more than 40years without a claim / accident, the van claim affects my car policy and its loaded as I made a fault claim. Renew my Mrs insurance, that too is loaded because I made a claim. My daughters car, as a named driver, that was also loaded.

I now wish I paid for the insurance claim! This carries on for the next 5 years.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Even non fault claims very often you will get loaded as well.

Years ago some toerag tried to break into my garage.
I fixed the damage myself as couldn’t be doing with the hassle of claiming and the cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
They’ve got you by the bo****ks. The whole system is set up to persuade you not to claim. That’s why I always opt for a large excess to get a cheaper premium; its often cheaper to pay up a couple of grand and fix it than take the loading on all of your vehicles for 5 years.

Unfair but that’s life.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I think the same penalty applies if your vehicle is parked when damaged by another.
A pal's car whilst parked briefly in the road one evening and was hit (written off in fact) by a tipsy neighbour's car whilst he had nipped back indoors having forgotten his debit card.
Initially his ins co argued that it should have been parked off the road at night and he had to pursue the fact that it was before the 10pm requirement and he had just got it out of his drive to go back indoors for his debit card before collecting a takeaway. They eventually accepted that but he still lost his NCB and his renewal premium was increased.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I know someone who endured premium loading just for mentioning a small bump. It was nothing really and they wanted to know whether to claim or pay it themselves. Even though they did not put it through their insurers; the "Accident" was placed on some database that all insurers have access to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I know someone who endured premium loading just for mentioning a small bump. It was nothing really and they wanted to know whether to claim or pay it themselves. Even though they did not put it through their insurers the "Accident" was placed on some database that all insurers have access to.
Me too!

I asked on my house insurance whether I could claim for a leaking roof after a storm. Yes was the answer but I decided to pay for it myself considering the excess and insurance increase. Renewal came with damage notification and increase in premium!

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I had a £70 claim for freezer contents after a power cut whilst on holiday.

Guess what? The premium went up by £70 there next year, despite having never claimed for over 30 years 🙄

I changed insurance companies.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last time I had a prang 3 or 4 years ago, at renewal they wanted to double the premium & yes I had protected NC, that was Saga. I shopped around and got a policy the same price I had been paying, no increase on the wife's car or Motorhome, it just depends on the company.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Last time I had a prang 3 or 4 years ago, at renewal they wanted to double the premium & yes I had protected NC, that was Saga. I shopped around and got a policy the same price I had been paying, no increase on the wife's car or Motorhome, it just depends on the company.
I shop around every year for car and van insurance. Strangely, I got a cheaper van insurance than I paid last year. However, I could not find a better deal on my car insurance due to the claim. On comparison sites, I put in no claim, then admitted to claim and found generally the fault claim added
£60.

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
My first post on here was regarding a roof light over the cab of my van which had blown off, after trying to sort it myself I went down the insurance route. After a lot of bother I finally got it sorted and managed to convince a rather naive operator at the insurance company that is it should be classed under the windscreen excess so only paid £75 excess.

Come renewal time the premium had gone up quite a bit (over £270) as expected, as the glass alone was £780 plus shipping from abroad, fixing, VAT etc etc but I searched around and managed to find another provider who even with the knowledge of the claim quoted £38 more than my previous policy cost.

So as Lenny HB says “depends on the company”
:roflmto:

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Daughters car her as a named driver, that's another gotcha if I am reading you correctly.
Trust if that's the case she does not drive to and from work!

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Daughters car her as a named driver, that's another gotcha if I am reading you correctly.
Trust if that's the case she does not drive to and from work!
Doesn't sound right. I am a named driver on my daughters policy and car. The named driver has made a claim in the last 5 years, so her policy is loaded.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Plenty of reports on here remarking on (accident) reporting and how it costs you even if you’re not claiming

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Although it doesn’t help you now it might help help someone else

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Someone drove into my wife, there was absolutely nothing she could have done to get away, and for a few years it's really hit us. Love (NOT) insurance companies.

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Stealaway

Late last year whilst driving onto levelling ramps, both ramps on the same side, front and rear, the front driving wheel skidded on wet grass and the van slid sideways and off the ramp. Damaged front bumper and quote to fix was / and is £1800. I claimed on the insurance.

So this turns out to be a fault claim. Come to renew my car insurance, despite more than 40years without a claim / accident, the van claim affects my car policy and its loaded as I made a fault claim. Renew my Mrs insurance, that too is loaded because I made a claim. My daughters car, as a named driver, that was also loaded.

I now wish I paid for the insurance claim! This carries on for the next 5 years.
Change insurers - I run my own broking business and what you have been told is wrong......simply wrong. There will be a supplementary question as to whether a claim was on the policy/vehicle that you are now quoting for. If it's not, it should not affect the premium. if you have already renewed, ask the insurers (other than the MH one) for a review. Tell them they are not treating the customer (you) fairly and you plan to go to the ombudsman

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Stealaway

I did similar, I wouldn't claim under £2,000 now. I claimed and got a loading on 3 vehicles for 5 years

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I changed insurance company and saved money it was cheaper than the original price

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
In most policy small print it says you should notify the insurance company of any accident whether you intend claiming or not. Technically I can understand that cos if you keep having minor bumps then you're obviously a higher risk, however I suspect that's not the reason the insurance companies do it.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Had my van written off in Germany 11 years ago..Blameless and did not affect my insurance policy whatsoever..Lucky.BUSBY.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
As retired "broker" I can sympathise with the comments but the insurance companies definition of a "fault" claim Is any claim where full costs can't be recovered from a third party, even if the policy holder is completely without blame ie a hit and run claim.

Any claim or conviction on a vehicle policy, irrespective of blame, has to be declared on every policy where the person is a driver. Not declaring any fact can avoid the policy.

I've had to inform clients that their claim would not be paid due to not declaring relevant facts. Upsetting for everyone.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
It's normal practice to load future renewals, you can't avoid it by changing insurers and to have it removed from your wife's and daughters record will be impossible. I have tried to get a non claim removed for years and each year it comes back to haunt me, all this when just asking for advise. Argue well and hard, they will say it's impossible, so ask to be put through to their under writers and do the same, it can be done but most likely it will be an ongoing problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back