I seem to find all the narrow roads!! (2 Viewers)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Well upon my tour to Croatia we have been through some really dodgy narrow roads and passes in Germany, Austria, Slovenia and now Croatia which tells me when you are as tight as me and don’t pay for the go box, Dars box and road tolls the big 3.5t+ motorhomes are a bit of a nuisance with the size and weight penalties. Anyway Simon-Alan Kerr that knaus Boxdrive is looking very attractive 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The width of a >3.5t whether 'A' or 'C' class is normally the same as :h:.5t of the same at 2.3m. [Except Bailey at 2.5m]

Only PVCs are narrower.

So weight is not a factor. Length could be on tight corners and overhang on steep hairpins.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
The width of a >3.5t whether 'A' or 'C' class is normally the same as :h:.5t of the same at 2.3m. [Except Bailey at 2.5m]

Only PVCs are narrower.

So weight is not a factor. Length could be on tight corners and overhang on steep hairpins.
You’re spot on geoff except that weight IS the factor, because if I wasn’t over 3.5t I could have the option of zooming down the motorways and through the tunnels in Austria and Slovenia (which is where all the passes are to avoid them)

And yes the Knaus Boxdrive IS a pvc😉👍👍

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017

Only PVCs are narrower.
Our Adria Compact is only 2.12m wide.
It also has the short arm mirrors which make it the same width as a PVC.
It is great to drive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
I live in Devon, got some tight roads here too, I recall a meeting with a lovely new 4x4 last year when I had quite a big reverse exercise the lady driver of the merc had a short reverse & wouldnt, so in the back. Made a coffee & got a mag, sat in drivers seat, eventually she relented, somewhat disgruntled, coffee was nice though

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
WESTY66 how many villages have had to spend over 20 min reversing out of?

Once you have done that a few times you will know what a narrow road really is. :LOL:
Or going a couple of hundred yards down a lane to a site with the bushes above the van and brushing both mirrors only to find you have taken the wrong entrance and you can’t make the turn even though you are feet away from the correct entrance 🤬🤬🤬

Or going through a small village only to find the sign that they put up quarter of a mile back says road closed for a street party, or something like that in foreign🤬🤬🤬

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
WESTY66 how many villages have had to spend over 20 min reversing out of?

Once you have done that a few times you will know what a narrow road really is. :LOL:
See, I told you france and Spain are no good!! :rofl: :rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A lot of the newer vans are narrower. Our last two Hymers only 2.21m, Carthago Compact Line 2.12m. Westy66 Carthago is 2. 27m.
Well some people just can't help themselves and have to have a big one 😄 ... its not just about "never mind the quality, feel the width" ... sometimes less is more as we've found as we love our svelte Compactline! :giggle:

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
I’m afraid we just stumped up, got a go box and dars box, I can drive 44 ton wagons but couldn’t be on with the hassle, some people say it’s all part of the experience but it’s hard enough just getting into some of the pitches on these sites in Croatia ask Coastal Cruiser. I don’t need to stress all the way on the journey as well.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Despite having a Carthago Compactline, a fire engine still managed to clout my mirror in Le Bourget about ten days ago. Fortunately a bit of T Cut will resolve the black mark he left. Blighter wasn't even on 'blues and two's'

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Is the issue the width or the cost of motorway tolls when you over 3.5 tns? How do they know your weight to charge toll costs?

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Is the issue the width or the cost of motorway tolls when you over 3.5 tns? How do they know your weight to charge toll costs?
Probably a bit of both, I don’t know whether they know your weight going down the road but if you get pulled and you don’t have the right/no sticker/box then you will be heavily fined and there’s a lot more patrols over there than there is here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back