I need to get a tracker fitted asap! (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all
As above I need to get a tracker fitted to my new van for insurance purposes as soon as possible, I need to get one within a month of having the van, they've sent me a list of approved trackers but I'm after suggestions for how I can get one fitted that quickly, I've tried @eddievanbitz first but they are very busy at the mo so any help appreciated, the Bessacarr came with one fitted, the Pilote doesn't :rolleyes:
Dave

Jun 1, 2016
Chesham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since April 2016
Speak to Cantrak - Cantrak.com. I have a couple of their trackers. They employ their own investigators who track down stolen vehicles and plant.

A Hymer was recovered very quickly reported here a month or so ago.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
If the insurance people require a tracker as a condition of theft cover, they probably want a Cat 5 tracker. If so, this limits your choice.

there are plenty of good trackers out there but they don't all come with Cat 5 certification.

Suggest that if in doubt, check any potential installation with the insurance guys first to make sure they'll be happy with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
Why can't you get the one you have changed over thats what i did
Neil

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Speak to Cantrak - Cantrak.com. I have a couple of their trackers. They employ their own investigators who track down stolen vehicles and plant.

A Hymer was recovered very quickly reported here a month or so ago.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately it's not on the list I've been given
IMG_0136.jpg

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Why can't you get the one you have changed over thats what i did
Neil

Too late, as we part exchanged the van unfortunately

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
If the insurance people require a tracker as a condition of theft cover, they probably want a Cat 5 tracker. If so, this limits your choice.

there are plenty of good trackers out there but they don't all come with Cat 5 certification.

Suggest that if in doubt, check any potential installation with the insurance guys first to make sure they'll be happy with it.

Yes, they sent me a list of approved trackers which I have attached to another post

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
For what it's worth, we had a Cobra Cat 5 tracker in our previous van d a ScorpionTrack in the current van. I prefer the ScorpionTrack as sat here remote from the van I can see exactly where it is, when it was last moved, and some other bits. The Cobra system at the time didn't offer that facility but might now.

Cost was about the same.

Also re subscription- I paid for 3 years up front with Cobra as I planned to keep the van for some time. However we changed it early, and guess what - no refund of tracker subscription and not transferable to new owner and not creditable to a new system....so as none of us can see the future, I'd recommend on,ynpaying for one years subscription at a time.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Not all insurance companies demand a tracker. It might be less hassle to change provider but by all means fit an alarm and tracker, but do it in your own time. :)

Yes that might have to be an option if I'm unsuccessful, I've just come across a company called trackerfit online so I'll contact them for starters, they seem to do a nationwide mobile fitting service.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
For what it's worth, we had a Cobra Cat 5 tracker in our previous van d a ScorpionTrack in the current van. I prefer the ScorpionTrack as sat here remote from the van I can see exactly where it is, when it was last moved, and some other bits. The Cobra system at the time didn't offer that facility but might now.

Cost was about the same.

Also re subscription- I paid for 3 years up front with Cobra as I planned to keep the van for some time. However we changed it early, and guess what - no refund of tracker subscription and not transferable to new owner and not creditable to a new system....so as none of us can see the future, I'd recommend on,ynpaying for one years subscription at a time.

Thanks for the info, with our track record I think I'll only do a year at a time as well :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Can the cat 5 tracker GPS signal be blocked by the £30 device off eBay ? if so it's a waste of time & money ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can you not contact a local auto electrician that can supply and fit?
Just give them the makes that are recommended and Bobs your Aunty :D well it seems to be in this day and age :rolleyes:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Adrian flux don't ask for a tracker, I had the same issue last year with caravan guard who required a tracker to be fitted
BTW Adrian Flux were cheaper, go figure

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Can you not contact a local auto electrician that can supply and fit?
Just give them the makes that are recommended and Bobs your Aunty :D well it seems to be in this day and age :rolleyes:

Yes I need to get my behind in gear this week and get it sorted

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Adrian flux don't ask for a tracker, I had the same issue last year with caravan guard who required a tracker to be fitted
BTW Adrian Flux were cheaper, go figure

I'm with Caravan guard, perhaps I'll look into that then if all else fails, thanks for the info

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Didn't realise that??
It plugs into the cigarette lighter and It blocks GPS signals for a certain distance (enough to cover the length of a van). I believe the radio type of tracker is OK, but would definitely research this thoroughly before being bounced into paying for something that can be easily blocked by such a device.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Road Angel was on your list, I had one on my Ducati Panigale, they sold out to Bike Trac. I have been impressed with it and have just had it fitted to another m/c.

I haven't fitted one on the van, but that's where we will start.

Good luck at please let us know what you decide.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
My Dad has a smartrack which is on your approved list, they are really helpful and when I had to phone them at 11pm one night to track Dads van nothing was too much trouble.
We've got one on our van which is not on your approved list which is concerning.
At work we use quartix which we can monitor 24/7 from pcs or mobiles.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Our Liaka needed a tracker fitted when we were with AIB so we changed Insurance to NFU Chichester who are happy with our MH as it is. All tracker devices can be put out of commission by a small gadget they sends out a signal that blocks the Satalite transmission. Something else to look at with a Tracker is the ongoing cost. Some have a yearly charge for supplying info.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Mick at S.A.P Ltd in Doncaster fit the Autowatch which is on your list and a Cat 5, not sure how busy he is though but maybe worth a try, i know they fit them as i was going to get one fitted when i purchased our new Motorhome.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I have a Phantom fitted, last year in Spain I forgot to switch it off when leaving an Aire, within a couple of minutes they were on the phone to me asking if I was moving the van.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
We have the Smart track Protector Pro Cat 6 tracker fitted, which we inherited from the original owner. The monthly subscription is £12.50, which I begrudge but pay because the insurers insist on it. I have found the company very responsive and if you call them I would expect they will offer a list of fitters near you.

I am very surprised to see the list you have provided as I assume there is significant differences between the cost and capability of a cat 7 compared to a cat 5 device. Shop around carefully.

By the way I have been insured through Grove and dean for three years. The Policy is with Aviva and I have found them good and competitive. I got a quote from Caravan guard and they were £150 more. I tried to get a quote through Saga who insisted I had a cat 5 tracker fitted before they would insure me!. As I say I have a cat 6 fitted and I spoke to Smart track who wanted £800 to replace it with their cat 5 device and furthermore the monthly subscription would be £16.50! Given the posts by others as to how easy it is to jam trackers you really wonder what is the point! However I would also advise that when the renewal documentation came through from Grove and dean this year, it stated that I had a Protector pro tracker fitted (which was previously declared) but elsewhere it had been added that I had a cat 5 tracker fitted. Had I not just previously had the exchange with saga, I wouldn't have queried this, as I wasn't aware that my protector pro was cat 6 or that cat 6 is inferior to cat 5. So unknowingly my insurance would have been invalid. When I pointed out to Grove and dean that the protector pro was in fat cat 6, they happily changed the Cat 5 note to cat 6 and that is what my policy says but it does strike me that such a seemingly innocent change in wording could have had a catastrophic impact on my cover if I was not alert to what the wording means.

Good luck

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It plugs into the cigarette lighter and It blocks GPS signals for a certain distance (enough to cover the length of a van). I believe the radio type of tracker is OK, but would definitely research this thoroughly before being bounced into paying for something that can be easily blocked by such a device.
Buy on and try one?:D2

Apart from many facts, like the people advertising know that they are illegal to own, use or buy so can send you any old junk, as you have no legal protection or comeback, and apart from the fact that anything like that posted to your address can invite unwelcome attention from the authorities, they don't represent an issue

Imagine if you will the power of a huge telephone mast. At best a jammer could hope for is to confuse a signal in a weak signal area, which would be swamped when the motorhome moved into a strong signal area, especially close to a mast.

Add to that and many of the latest GPS/GSM devices have anto jamming software, out Non StarterMT system will send the recorded owners a message, and sound a siren enabling the engine to be immobilised if it senses the GSM signal better fiddled with

It really isn't an issue(y)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Don't really know anything about trackers apart from they seem really expensive to run. I'm now with safeguard and they didn't require a tracker nor did the caravan club, of my Motorhome was stolen I ask myself would I really want it back ?. If it's only piece of mind you want alot of people seem to fit the £30 ones you can buy from eBay

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I'm also with Caravan Guard. When I took out me insurance about a year ago I did not have a tracker. They offered a discount (I think it was 20%, but memory is a bit fuzzy) if I got a tracker so I selected the one I wanted and made an appointment to have it fitted several months later. once Tracker fitted Caravan Guard gave the refund. Subsequently I had an alarm fitted but no further discount as the Tracker outweighs the Alarm in the eyes of Caravan Guard. I would suggest you contact your insurance company and ask if they will start you off on a higher premium then give you the discount when the Tracker is fitted. It is better to have the Tracker That you want rather than anything you can get quickly

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back