I have a Tracker, which is the best sim card for this? (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Newbie here
I used GiffGaff when I had the type of tracker that needed a sim card. I have now moved the card to my Truma iNet box, just paying for the odd text when I interrogate it. I put £10 on the card last May and have not needed to top it up since. If your tracker uses text alerts you need a network that still supports 2G. I believe that rules out Three but O2, EE and Vodafone still have 2G coverage, it is being phased out.
Correct regarding the three network. It doesn't have 2g.
As you said, all the other main networks do have 2g.
However from what I can see, the first company to get rid of anything will be Vodafone. They are switching off their 3g sometime this or next year.
They are keeping their 2g for the time being as are the others.

Last edited:

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
I used GiffGaff when I had the type of tracker that needed a sim card. I have now moved the card to my Truma iNet box, just paying for the odd text when I interrogate it. I put £10 on the card last May and have not needed to top it up since. If your tracker uses text alerts you need a network that still supports 2G. I believe that rules out Three but O2, EE and Vodafone still have 2G coverage, it is being phased out.
Hi my autotrail is fitted with the argent tracker system, and I had enquired a few days ago regarding the 2G being fazed out and was informed it will be around till 2027/8, hope this information will help other funsters

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
I have an O2 PAYG sim in my tracker. Lasts forever!! (Unless I forget to turn off movement, when i get constant texts warning me it has moved). Still, on the bright side it does show it works. There is always something to be glad about!
I will have to remove this tracker as it is randomly sending me texts that it has moved when obviously it hasn't. Could anyone suggest a tracker that I monitor myself with a sim based PAYG as I have an O2 sim? Thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
Hi my autotrail is fitted with the argent tracker system, and I had enquired a few days ago regarding the 2G being fazed out and was informed it will be around till 2027/8, hope this information will help other funsters
You are correct, I made the same enquiry regarding the chip last year and I was told the same thing, as I asked them what they intended to do once 2027/2028 comes round and I was told they will issue new chips.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I will have to remove this tracker as it is randomly sending me texts that it has moved when obviously it hasn't. Could anyone suggest a tracker that I monitor myself with a sim based PAYG as I have an O2 sim? Thank you.
I have a winnes gps tracker which i use on a motorcycle, usb charging lasts about a month or so it has magnets to attach it it's been reliable over the last couple of years, available on ebay/amazon. Are you sure the recent windy weather hasn't been moving what your tracker is attached to?

Winnes GPS Tracker Anti-theft Car Safety Alarm 5000mAh Long Battery Real-time GPS Locator with SMS, APP, Web Track GPS Finder Monitor Device for Truck Van Motor, No Monthly Fee, Magnetic Mount https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C6M6CVTP/?tag=mhf04-21

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
I have a winnes gps tracker which i use on a motorcycle, usb charging lasts about a month or so it has magnets to attach it it's been reliable over the last couple of years, available on ebay/amazon. Are you sure the recent windy weather hasn't been moving what your tracker is attached to?
No! Its inside my campervan and it needs to move a lot more than windy weather could do before it reports movement!

Jun 28, 2021
Wakefield, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
Hi
i use Labara (uses Vodafone network)with unlimited texts they always have deals on it costs about £3 a month and never any problems with network coverage. Have a look at Martin Lewis money saving expert site for current deals.

Jun 28, 2021
Wakefield, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
Sorry also mean to add this
Telephone number of Back2you 0800 009 6366 or from abroad (+44 ) 1723 518053

M.D Chris or Jake in support. Tracker model back to you.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have the same and use a 1p mobile SIM

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
Hi
i use Labara (uses Vodafone network)with unlimited texts they always have deals on it costs about £3 a month and never any problems with network coverage. Have a look at Martin Lewis money saving expert site for current deals.
I've never had problems with O2 and I probably top-up twice a year or so.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I have a tracker (insurance requirement) but I pondered on thieves looking for these and quickly disabling them. So, I built a 2nd one. This sits in a waterproof box on the roof and powered by a 12v House Alarm Battery. This in turn is constantly charged by a solar panel! Currently working on a box to measure movement and send me a text. I already have permanent WiFi ON even when stored so next project is internal hidden cameras (like one of those home Front Door Cams), so I can keep an eye on things.

I'm really interested in getting a tracker like you have, on the roof with a solar panel. However, I know absolutely nothing about trackers!! Which one should I get, please? And how on earth do I make it work from a solar panel? And what solar panel would I get? Is this something simple I can do or do I need to be a bit clever? :) I'd be much happier if we had some sort of security on the MH.

Jun 28, 2021
Wakefield, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
Look at back to you tracker their units are small and waterproof the rechargeable battery lasts for 6 months and you can hide them anywhere in your motorhome

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back