I have a Tracker, which is the best sim card for this? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2016
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
My MH came with a tracker. I rang the company to enquire how much it would cost to commission it. I was told that I would need to pay £159 for someone to come out and check it, then it would be £209 subscription/yr. I have now bought a tracker, can anyone recommend which would be the best sim card deal for it?

OP
OP
Guzziando
Jun 10, 2016
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thank you, so £30/yr. Does the £10 for 120 days cover the use of it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I used GiffGaff when I had the type of tracker that needed a sim card. I have now moved the card to my Truma iNet box, just paying for the odd text when I interrogate it. I put £10 on the card last May and have not needed to top it up since. If your tracker uses text alerts you need a network that still supports 2G. I believe that rules out Three but O2, EE and Vodafone still have 2G coverage, it is being phased out.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look at RWG (based in Wales) who do PAYG sims which are cheap and have monthly free credit; other than the initial cost of £5 credit to get the sim you don't have to put anymore on, they also do cheap monthly ones starting at £2.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Oct 4, 2020
North West England
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015
My MH came with a tracker. I rang the company to enquire how much it would cost to commission it. I was told that I would need to pay £159 for someone to come out and check it, then it would be £209 subscription/yr. I have now bought a tracker, can anyone recommend which would be the best sim card deal for it?
voda £5 pm and a sub to gps-server.net 12 euro pa

Feb 6, 2023
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
I have Giffgaff, basically the same as others have said. I’ve had it 4 years and I’m still using the £10 I put on to set it up. Sim is free so great choice.

Jul 23, 2020
Lightwater
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2007
GiffGaff works for me too. However I have just installed a Vodafone Curve GPS tracker in my car which cost me £10 and a monthly subscription of £2. I have the VF Smart app on my iPhone and it tells me the location of the tracker when loaded instead of sending a coded text to the tracker that has the GiffGaff SIM fitted in the MoHo. Both do a good inexpensive job.

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
I have an O2 PAYG sim in my tracker. Lasts forever!! (Unless I forget to turn off movement, when i get constant texts warning me it has moved). Still, on the bright side it does show it works. There is always something to be glad about!

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I sent off for a free PAYG sim from ASDA 3 years ago (Tracker needs 2g). They put 50p on it to start and I have topped up with £5. Providing it is used at least once every 6 months it will last indefinitely. I interrogate my tracker every 3 months just to keep the card running. Texts used to be 4p ?? but think they are now 10p per text.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Sounds like your installed tracker is a professional install and managed device and probably has a 24/7 monitoring and the centre may have an ‘in’ with the police should your MoHo be nicked.

If you have purchased a cheap tracker it may be self monitoring and if the MoHo goes who makes contact and follow up with the police ?

Both systems may not recover your asset but paying more may just give you a head start and if the insurance company want a tracker I suspect they will want a managed one.

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
I have a tracker (insurance requirement) but I pondered on thieves looking for these and quickly disabling them. So, I built a 2nd one. This sits in a waterproof box on the roof and powered by a 12v House Alarm Battery. This in turn is constantly charged by a solar panel! Currently working on a box to measure movement and send me a text. I already have permanent WiFi ON even when stored so next project is internal hidden cameras (like one of those home Front Door Cams), so I can keep an eye on things.

Dec 31, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
2022 Chausson 660
Exp
Previously Elddis Accordo 125
I suggest that, if you tour abroad, you check the coverage of your SIM network service provider and their charges for international text messages. On my phone I have O2 which worked in most places on my trip to Turkey recently, except for Switzerland in which the local provider would not accept it.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I use 1pmobile in mine £10 for 120 days

Thank you, so £30/yr. Does the £10 for 120 days cover the use of it?

It does for mine
I have the same.

In fact it easily covers the cost and I ended up with about a £50 credit on it. Which this last time when I needed to pay another £10 for the next 120 days they let me use £10 from the credit to pay for it.

Jun 28, 2021
Wakefield, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
I use Lebara (uses Vodafone network) £3.70 a month but got a special deal when I first took it out, unlimited text so great for tracking its also on a one month contract

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have a tracker (insurance requirement) but I pondered on thieves looking for these and quickly disabling them. So, I built a 2nd one. This sits in a waterproof box on the roof and powered by a 12v House Alarm Battery. This in turn is constantly charged by a solar panel! Currently working on a box to measure movement and send me a text. I already have permanent WiFi ON even when stored so next project is internal hidden cameras (like one of those home Front Door Cams), so I can keep an eye on things.
They don’t need to find it they just use a Jammer which also stops wifi cameras from working.

OP
OP
Guzziando
Jun 10, 2016
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thank you for your replies, I chose to go with RWG, £2/month seems reasonable to me, and it uses the Now/EE mobile network.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Thank you for your replies, I chose to go with RWG, £2/month seems reasonable to me, and it uses the Now/EE mobile network.
Be careful if you intend to travel abroad, EU roaming is only supported on plans over £3.50 I believe.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Be careful if you intend to travel abroad, EU roaming is only supported on plans over £3.50 I believe.
Yes however from memory I believe that it's only 5p for texts, 5p per min for calls, 5p per mb for data.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I would restart this one.
Aldi are selling off their trackers for £21 and they come with a 1p mobile.
Giff-gaff looks the best option from what I can see. Any other ideas

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I would restart this one.
Aldi are selling off their trackers for £21 and they come with a 1p mobile.
Giff-gaff looks the best option from what I can see. Any other ideas
If your investing in a tracker for insurance or security you probably want to invest in a monitored device. My bicicle has a tracker it’s a cheap bike (30 years old now) and has an apple air tag attached, suitable for my bike but not a MoHo. 😉

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have Giffgaff, basically the same as others have said. I’ve had it 4 years and I’m still using the £10 I put on to set it up. Sim is free so great choice.

I'm amazed at the fact that people still have money on them after months or years? Do you not get unwanted calls to the number setting off the location texts? Here it is a problem. If someone rings the number or an automatic dialer, calls my tracker it replies by text with the position.If an auto dialler that will then ring again & so on up to a maximum of 3 times.

I gave up & have a contract sim in it now. also allows me to use the data for cameras if i wanted

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I'm amazed at the fact that people still have money on them after months or years? Do you not get unwanted calls to the number setting off the location texts? Here it is a problem. If someone rings the number or an automatic dialer, calls my tracker it replies by text with the position.If an auto dialler that will then ring again & so on up to a maximum of 3 times.

I gave up & have a contract sim in it now. also allows me to use the data for cameras if i wanted
unwanted text did not trigger my tracker. my tracker needed specific codes for each action. each text to it required id then action or nothing happened.

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
What trackers are you using ? Any links would be great, ta.
Will check out the Aldi one as already mentioned.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back