Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Just got home from a trip to Stroud to see a company about returing something to them. It was wet going down, and it was certainly WET coming home, down the M4, M25, M26,M20 I hated it spray everywhere, dirt, salt, and general muck over everything.
Motorways are the pits, absolute pits. Everyone roaring along at God knows what speed all alongside you in front of you, behind you all cramping you in in, leave a distance to stop and two jump in there. The rear view camera got sprayed up with muck. Generally a horrible trip.
Living in Dover means to get anywhere you have to travel on the motorways to get anywhere. The place we parked meant the TV reception was total crap if you wanted to move about otherwise it kept spitting and breaking up, radio not much better.
I got home and thew garage was full of water AGAIN, but I know where it is coming in now and where the water tracks from . takes five Karcher reservoirs to clear it out, but that is a very good way of clearing it. Also the front screens were dripping with condensation, but the Karcher dealt with that quite well.
It better get better than that in the future or I will just stay in bed in future. Tell me it is going to get better, PLEASE. A nice summers trip somewhere to just drive around and enjoy, not find there arte notices everywhere saying NO OVERNIGHT PARKING, NO SLEEPING, SOD OFF YOU DEGENERATE GITS. etc etc. Weston Super Mare is more like Weston Super Nightmare. Ryll is more like Rylly Awful Place to Stop. Conway is GOAWAY. That was the last trip to NorthWales via Somerset and the mid Wales Route. The only place I felt welcomed was Builth Wells where we stopped going up and coming home in the central carpark FOR FREE. Bangor was OK a carpark by the pier.
Tell me it gets better again.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Just spent the week on Ski trip -10 at night and tap froze in the van, mist, fog, about on some days got wet and cold but hey thats Motorhoming. had a great time as i was with my x2 brothers so all in it together.
sometimes reading some heartaches on motorhome fun forums gets us all back to a reality check what do we really want out of life and sometimes its not as bad.
cheer up it gets better from now on.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just got home from a trip to Stroud to see a company about returing something to them. It was wet going down, and it was certainly WET coming home, down the M4, M25, M26,M20 I hated it spray everywhere, dirt, salt, and general muck over everything.
Motorways are the pits, absolute pits. Everyone roaring along at God knows what speed all alongside you in front of you, behind you all cramping you in in, leave a distance to stop and two jump in there. The rear view camera got sprayed up with muck. Generally a horrible trip.
Living in Dover means to get anywhere you have to travel on the motorways to get anywhere. The place we parked meant the TV reception was total crap if you wanted to move about otherwise it kept spitting and breaking up, radio not much better.
I got home and thew garage was full of water AGAIN, but I know where it is coming in now and where the water tracks from . takes five Karcher reservoirs to clear it out, but that is a very good way of clearing it. Also the front screens were dripping with condensation, but the Karcher dealt with that quite well.
It better get better than that in the future or I will just stay in bed in future. Tell me it is going to get better, PLEASE. A nice summers trip somewhere to just drive around and enjoy, not find there arte notices everywhere saying NO OVERNIGHT PARKING, NO SLEEPING, SOD OFF YOU DEGENERATE GITS. etc etc. Weston Super Mare is more like Weston Super Nightmare. Ryll is more like Rylly Awful Place to Stop. Conway is GOAWAY. That was the last trip to NorthWales via Somerset and the mid Wales Route. The only place I felt welcomed was Builth Wells where we stopped going up and coming home in the central carpark FOR FREE. Bangor was OK a carpark by the pier.

Somerset gets my vote for the least motorhome friendly county. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Sadly not at this time of year. Winter, Motorhomes and UK are no compatible in my view, I hate winter full stop. This time last year we were on the verge of departing for Spain and boy do I wish I was there now. The weather has been hit and miss down there but appears to be settling now. I have two weeks of Kennel duty coming up and looking after the "shop" for No 1 son who is off to Finland. Should the sun shine upon us in March I hope to clear off and find some better weather. March last year was good here so I hope for a repeat. Tell me does the Karcher come as standard fitting with an A class because they all seem to suffer badly with internal condensation. My first MH was an A class RV and that was just the same. I hope you get your garage leak sorted that must be bad to collect that amount of water.
I was down in Dorset and Devon last Friday and saw lot of Homies on the move, by contrast I saw none at all in Norfolk today.

Meanwhile pour a glass of something, feet up in front of the fire and hope for a better day tomorrow!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It does get better, but you do have to check the weather forecast as part of your pre trip planning. I wouldn't bother in UK at the moment.
Having a problem with your MH certainly doesn't help and is an extra stress you do not need. Do I remember rightly that it is a fairly new MH?
I do hope you get it fixed soon and have a nicer trip next time.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
It does get better............. as long as you leave the UK ! We have a few places we love in west wales, devon, however, come spring they'll be policed so won't be able to park there. Then there's the dire weather ! In France we live outdoors and just sleep in the van, in the UK we live in the van and get soaked if we leave it. Head for the eurotunnel, pennies for what you get out of it :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It better get better than that in the future or I will just stay in bed in future. Tell me it is going to get better, PLEASE. A nice summers trip somewhere to just drive around and enjoy, not find there arte notices everywhere saying NO OVERNIGHT PARKING, NO SLEEPING, SOD OFF YOU DEGENERATE GITS. etc etc. Weston Super Mare is more like Weston Super Nightmare. Ryll is more like Rylly Awful Place to Stop. Conway is GOAWAY. That was the last trip to NorthWales via Somerset and the mid Wales Route. The only place I felt welcomed was Builth Wells where we stopped going up and coming home in the central carpark FOR FREE. Bangor was OK a carpark by the pier

France is the answer to your question

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
What's up with you Southern Whimps! Get your waterproofs on and get out there. The highlands, Lakes or Yorkshire Dales at this time of year are stunning. If your waiting for a good weather forecast your going to be sat at home until May.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Weston Super Mare is more like Weston Super Nightmare.
And I was going to pull in there on my way down to Devon. ..but didn't quite make it.
Ended up at one of Keith @keith pub stop overs ..the Gloucester old spot. Just off m5.. and very nice it is too..:D
The wild goose pale ale ain't bad either (y)..
And yes it will get better.. :LOL:
Andy.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Water in a Hymer!

Buy a Swift. At least we know where the water is coming from!:whistle:

Just goes to show that with water ingress, exploding headlights etc. Hymer are not perfect.

OK., I recognise that Hymer are bought only by the most perfect of human specimens, but for the rest of us mortals, we will have to make do with inferior British crap. God help us all after Brexit when Hymer become totally unaffordable.:rolleyes:

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Oh Rhyl? So run down even in the Summer, I never go near the place. North Wales a mountain range in the middle = attracts rain. Next time you can park on my drive- at a reasonable rate :whistle::D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Oh Rhyl? So run down even in the Summer, I never go near the place. North Wales a mountain range in the middle = attracts rain. Next time you can park on my drive- at a reasonable rate :whistle::D
Rhyl , has many happy memories for me, the first place I ever saw the sea, on the train with a packet of sandwiches with my uncle who worked on the railway so we went on the cheap , growing up , in our teens , where we went with our first cars, and even spent my and Maureen's honeymoon on Robin Hood caravan park and later even owned a static on Robin Hood , been back since but it's a dying place , what a shame .

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Yes Sunday School trips , school trips magic place at one time, but, unfortunately like the Sun Center the powers that be we're only interested in a quick buck and ran it so far down its uneconomical to run. Then , all the amusement arcades and frozen bloody chips sheds all boarded up for nine months. And of course the fun fair - dismantled, never mind there's a pond so I'm told (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I got home and thew garage was full of water AGAIN, but I know where it is coming in now and where the water tracks from .
Come on don't keep us in suspense. .
Also the front screens were dripping with condensation, but the Karcher dealt with that quite well.
How come you are getting so much you have the heating outlets between the blind & the screen I assume. Bought external screen for ours only used them a couple of times found we didn't really need them.

That's why we don't bother with the UK much, we want to enjoy our Motorhoming.:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes Sunday School trips , school trips magic place at one time, but, unfortunately like the Sun Center the powers that be we're only interested in a quick buck and ran it so far down its uneconomical to run. Then , all the amusement arcades and frozen bloody chips sheds all boarded up for nine months. And of course the fun fair - dismantled, never mind there's a pond so I'm told (y)
What no one seems to remember is the pier with the theatre at the end, once went there , must have been 62 or 63, went with a mate in a b&b picked two girls up and went to the theatre, believe it or not Arthur askey was the star turn and hienz the support, that's a rave from the grave ey.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
So, where is the water getting in.

Martin
Mostly from the Sky and definitely not my hose, but what happens and I found it today at home when it was raining.
The rain pools on top of the roof and as it was slightly nose up the water runs back along the roof to the joint, where they have put a raised plastic cover over the roof joint, which make a little dam. The rainwater then runs to whichever side it is leaning and over the edge down the side and it tracks down the side panel until the little rivulet hits the door edging plastic, over that , until it get to the rubber seal whence it runs along as it doesn't come in there and down the rubber seal where it gets through the joint and into the inside then down the door to the floor which being entirely GRP, collects on the floor and pools on the floor space and promptly soaks into whatever is on the floor the rest goes to the edge and builds up. It is not really the seal that is faulty as it would be almost impossible to stop it. The answer will be to stick a small uPVC section at the top ot the side panel to take the water back to the rear panel where it will miss the door altogether. Interestingly the exact same thing happens at the front where it runs down the side window glass and off. It all depends on which way it is sitting, it is worse when it is dead flat level as it happens both ways at the same time to both sides back and front.
I will get the photos of how I stop it. Household guttering stops it on the house and the awning does the same on the right side of the van taking the water back and forwards. I must check the seal between that and the body as well. It doesn't take much but the annoyance is, well, annoying.
I will write to the factory about it and show the fix, once I have proved it both back and front.

Attachments

• IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As much as I love Wales, I am not sure Wales in February is a destination of choice.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Nothing to be sorry for, it's only the weather.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mostly from the Sky and definitely not my hose, but what happens and I found it today at home when it was raining.
The rain pools on top of the roof and as it was slightly nose up the water runs back along the roof to the joint, where they have put a raised plastic cover over the roof joint, which make a little dam. The rainwater then runs to whichever side it is leaning and over the edge down the side and it tracks down the side panel until the little rivulet hits the door edging plastic, over that , until it get to the rubber seal whence it runs along as it doesn't come in there and down the rubber seal where it gets through the joint and into the inside then down the door to the floor which being entirely GRP, collects on the floor and pools on the floor space and promptly soaks into whatever is on the floor the rest goes to the edge and builds up. It is not really the seal that is faulty as it would be almost impossible to stop it. The answer will be to stick a small uPVC section at the top ot the side panel to take the water back to the rear panel where it will miss the door altogether. Interestingly the exact same thing happens at the front where it runs down the side window glass and off. It all depends on which way it is sitting, it is worse when it is dead flat level as it happens both ways at the same time to both sides back and front.
I will get the photos of how I stop it. Household guttering stops it on the house and the awning does the same on the right side of the van taking the water back and forwards. I must check the seal between that and the body as well. It doesn't take much but the annoyance is, well, annoying.
I will write to the factory about it and show the fix, once I have proved it both back and front.
Would something like this stop it? You could put it on the roof itself rather than the sides, to channel it.

Link Removed

There are also shorter lengths:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=fiamma+drip+stop&rt=nc&_dmd=2

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Most people see Dover as a destination never giving it a thought what it must be like to live there. Anywhere in the UK is a bit of a jaunt before you even start from Dover but excellent if you are heading for the ferry(y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
@GWAYGWAY not a problem that I have as no rear garage but roof run off is an absolute pain creating black streaks.
To overcome this and could solve your problem , I am fitting self adhesive plastic gutter along the sides and rear , just below roof line .
This channels run off to the corners of the mhome.
Just have the sides to do.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Would it help if there was a gap in the door seal at the bottom to stop in pooling inside the seal and then spilling into the garage space.

Martin

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Would something like this stop it? You could put it on the roof itself rather than the sides, to channel it.

Link Removed

There are also shorter lengths:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=fiamma+drip+stop&rt=nc&_dmd=2
That looks the thing I was wanting but the price is a bit much for some sticky tape, I will get some it I cannot do better. There is enough to do all of the suspect places, but it should be on there at the factory, seeing how much it cost me.
I take it that a lot of vans must have the same or similar problem for them to make it.
EDIT; I just bought 3 metres just need to wait until summer to fit it at 20degrees C

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hymer have obviously changed the type of roof seal as my 2007 B544SL has a small gutter type profile running from the bottom of the van at the front join right round to the bottom of the rear section. This works very well in preventing water from flowing vertically down the sides of the vehicle.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The water on the roof of my Hymer follows exactly the same path when we park it nose up on the drive. But (touch wood) we do not have any leaking in through the garage door seals.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
You will be made very welcome in Exmouth!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Until youget it probably sorted could you turn the van around on the drive or if that not practical put some block under the rear wheels to give the van a front end down stance.

Just looking at mine through the window, I have a very slight downhill slope on the drive so front end slightly nose down. No water at all running down the side at the rear, does run down at the front from that top joint over the passenger window.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back