I am considering a first ebike (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Only if they were sold after a certain date can't remember the date about 2015.
I read if they were manufactured after 2016 they could only be pedal assist not twist and go throttle.
However I've seen new bikes on ebay that have twist and go throttles.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Due to medical issues I can't walk very far.
It's only really for popping to shops to get supplies when away.
I haven't really got a budget in mind but because of the limited use it will get, once or twice a week, limited mileage, and hopefully won't be a long term thing I don't want to spend much.
On the flat how much peddling do you have to do as I understand that the electric motor only assists when peddling ?
Some of my replies were a bit tounge in cheak.

For your use anything would do only thing I would say is front hub drive bike are a bit odd to ride as you are getting pulled along.
Also small wheel bikes are not as stable to ride but lighter and for a couple miles on tarmac they would be OK.

The amount of power assist is proprosional to the amount of effort you put in but again you wouldn't really notice it unless going up steep hills. Typical power assist is 2.5 to 3 times rider input on older/cheaper bikes.

Some of the cheap older ones have steel frames best to find one with an alloy frame as it will be lighter and easier to get in and out of the van.

I'll be selling by Scott soon (need to fit a new rear disc first something has contaminated it makes a screahing sound) but to be honest it's probably OTT for you. Medium frame 27.5" wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, Bosch 50nm motor 400 watt battery it's only done about a 1000 miles.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Mi-Rider GB3 has a thumb throttle boost function apparently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I read if they were manufactured after 2016 they could only be pedal assist not twist and go throttle.
However I've seen new bikes on ebay that have twist and go throttles.
Defiantly illegal also they have always been illegal in a lot of other countries, Germany & Spain are a couple I think.

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Some of my replies were a bit tounge in cheak.

For your use anything would do only thing I would say is front hub drive bike are a bit odd to ride as you are getting pulled along.
Also small wheel bikes are not as stable to ride but lighter and for a couple miles on tarmac they would be OK.

The amount of power assist is proprosional to the amount of effort you put in but again you wouldn't really notice it unless going up steep hills. Typical power assist is 2.5 to 3 times rider input on older/cheaper bikes.

Some of the cheap older ones have steel frames best to find one with an alloy frame as it will be lighter and easier to get in and out of the van.

I'll be selling by Scott soon (need to fit a new rear disc first something has contaminated it makes a screahing sound) but to be honest it's probably OTT for you. Medium frame 27.5" wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, Bosch 50nm motor 400 watt battery it's only done about a 1000 miles.
I was looking at 20' wheel foldable shopping or commuter ebikes, probably with a rack or basket.
I do have a 3 bike bike rack on the back so it doesn't really need to be foldable I suppose.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve had 20” folders for about 8 years and have just replaced them with full sized ones with crank drive. The folders are rear hub drive and will give assistance when the pedals are turned. The level of assistance is independent of effort put in and is determined by a setting on the controls (1 to 6 on ours). Our new bikes have torque sensors so measure the level of effort you are putting in and react accordingly. Our older (and cheaper) ones do not have this feature. They also have a throttle which will drive the bike without turning the pedals. This was legal at the time we bought them (in the UK at least). Shame you are in Cardiff as our old ones would do what you need and not cost a lot. Look out for a second hand one.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was looking at 20' wheel foldable shopping or commuter ebikes, probably with a rack or basket.
I do have a 3 bike bike rack on the back so it doesn't really need to be foldable I suppose.
Folding ones can be heavier, even the lightest e bikes are heavy to get on a rack I wouldn't want to do it. Also if you are getting two maybe too much for the rear wall of the van.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Mine has a range of 80 miles on Eco, only bought it 2 weeks ago already done 170 miles on it, not bad for an unfit old fart with a dodgy knee.
Lenny, could you share what make/model your new bike is? I'm possibly looking to buy. We currently have decent enough 'pedal' bikes (KTM Veneto) but are thinking electric and would appreciate some examples. Thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny, could you share what make/model your new bike is? I'm possibly looking to buy. We currently have decent enough 'pedal' bikes (KTM Veneto) but are thinking electric and would appreciate some examples. Thanks.
It's a Specialized Tero X5, very pleased with it, the Specialized motor has a much smother power delivery than the Bosch. It's only a 70 nm motor but I've been up some incredibly steep hills without any problems. It also a Mullet which makes it very maneuverable front wheel is 29", rear 27.5". Rims & tyres can be set up for tubeless.

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Folding ones can be heavier, even the lightest e bikes are heavy to get on a rack I wouldn't want to do it. Also if you are getting two maybe too much for the rear wall of the van.
Yes to save any extra weight on the back I was considering carrying it in the van just behind the front seats.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes to save any extra weight on the back I was considering carrying it in the van just behind the front seats.
I take it you don't have a garage, that's a shame.
Are you a solo traveller?
If so you could look at the lifting bike rack, I think putting it in the van would be a PIA.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
It's a Specialized Tero X5, very pleased with it, the Specialized motor has a much smother power delivery than the Bosch. It's only a 70 nm motor but I've been up some incredibly steep hills without any problems. It also a Mullet which makes it very maneuverable front wheel is 29", rear 27.5". Rims & tyres can be set up for tubeless.
Many thanks!

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I take it you don't have a garage, that's a shame.
Are you a solo traveller?
If so you could look at the lifting bike rack, I think putting it in the van would be a PIA.
2 of us, 6m C class no garage.
The reason I was considering carring it inside is because I removed about 30kgs of stuff that I was carring in an aluminium box mounted on the back and it made a noticeable improvement to handling so I didn't want to go back to how the van handled previously.
Van is on a MWB Ducato chassis and the overhang is quite long.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
2 of us, 6m C class no garage.
The reason I was considering carring it inside is because I removed about 30kgs of stuff that I was carring in an aluminium box mounted on the back and it made a noticeable improvement to handling so I didn't want to go back to how the van handled previously.
Van is on a MWB Ducato chassis and the overhang is quite long.
So if you get one for the other half as well could be 50kg on the back.

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
She can't ride at all due to medical conditions so it would only be one bike lol.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
If its going on the bike rack remember you have to lift it. Even with the battery off .

This was a major consideration when buying mine.

I ride mostly on cycle paths it weighs in at 16kg with battery an most of the time I ride unassisted

The bike I have is no.longer manufactured but Ribble do similar. Wheel size also makes it more stable. The step through also saves lifting your leg over a cross bar.

Most decent shops will let you try before you by there a good ebike shop in Bristol which maybe worth a visit.

Take your van with you to see how it fits .or that you can lift it

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I bought 2 folding 20" aluminium framed bikes from .more & Large aka emmell via eBay £125 each Inc delivery,2 X Chinese conversion kits (250w) and 2 X 13 ah carrier type battery packs,kits come with thumb throttle and crank sensor unplug throttle if you don't want it .Under £500 all in work superbly and great quality.(Circa 1 yr ago)
I have done similar with 1kw motors mtb's and 25ah battery in the past found the kits very reliable long term Always RWD
Take a look at Moore large website,they are primarily trade suppliers (I used to buy hundreds of bikes and bits off them when I sold bikes for a living,they do now sell to Joe public as well

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Due to medical issues I can't walk very far.
It's only really for popping to shops to get supplies when away.
I haven't really got a budget in mind but because of the limited use it will get, once or twice a week, limited mileage, and hopefully won't be a long term thing I don't want to spend much.
On the flat how much peddling do you have to do as I understand that the electric motor only assists when peddling ?
I would be wary of getting the one you first mentioned... The weight of it is the issue that would cause problems. I have a folding shopper that we take on our trips. It is probably over 20kg and a challenge to get on the bike rack.

A budget range would help... As usual, the lower the budget, the cheaper the components etc so you might end up with something that doesn't last as long or is as enjoyable to ride.

Perhaps look at second hand bikes rather than new.

Halfords and Decathlon do them for around £900 and they weigh around 18kg.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I only need it to do a couple of miles each way, on tarmac.
You may have already done so but the Bosch web site does show motors and batteries suitable for such a bike it makes interesting reading.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
When they state the mileage on the bikes.
How accurate are they ?

I imagine it’s based on lowest power setting but on steady riding is this sufficient setting
Lots of variables involved, I know I have mentioned the Bosch site a couple of times but there is a calculator to show Battery depletion based on speed weather tyres type of terrain which gives an indication of millage from the type of bike and conditions. It does provide a useful indication of how the battery may last.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I agree different motors perform differently, last year I tried a Bosch on a ‘normal’ road bike and it was nothing like those fitted to MTB it was smoother as was the Yamaha and shimano.

But I love the kick on full power the Bosch CX performance line gives particularly coming out of twist corners.. have to be careful as you may enter the next corner to quickly 😁

I Think when buying an e Bike people need to try as many as possible to get the one they prefer.

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Several years ago I went to the National Cycling Show at the NEC and arranged to try out lots of different e-bikes before I went. Do book demo rides before you go and get there early as there can be long queues for demo rides.

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
I have a bike which I have added all the Bafang kit. 250w and goes well but a bit unstable and heavy.

My son has a Specialized Vado SL. Fantastic bike and very light. You can even but it on the bike rack on car roof. Looking at it you cannot tell that it is electric. He is 28yrs old and loves it. He also has a Suron electric bike. Now that is another matter!

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Have been looking at one of those for my wife but they only have the 30nm motor they have been promising a 50nm. nice light bike 17kg but no suspension & it's just dropped in price to £2½k.

I would suggest the wife take a Vado for a spin. As the bike is so light, it doesn’t have all that weight to pull up the hill. They are a great price and you can add an extra battery if you are travelling long distances.

I am seriously looking at purchasing one.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A simple step through folder, with easy to moderate power assistance which is easy to charge, maintain and is comfortable to ride.

This is what the OP needed....some of the suggestions I read on here are what you want, or have...not the intended use of the OP..
A couple of miles on Tarmac....🥴👍😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back