I am considering a first ebike (2 Viewers)

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
The bike I have looked at, online, states that the bike is 27kgs total weight of which the battery pack is 1.1kgs.
Does that battery pack weight sound right ?
I have contacted the shop selling the bike who have stated that that is the information provided by the company supplying the bike.
I have contacted the supplying company who have stated that that is the information supplied by the manufacturer.
1.1kgs sounds to light to me ?

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
The bike I have looked at, online, states that the bike is 27kgs total weight of which the battery pack is 1.1kgs.
I have contacted the shop selling the bike who have stated that that is the information provided by the company supplying the bike.
I have contacted the supplying company who have stated that that is the information supplied by the manufacturer.
Sounds light to me too. Mine weighs around 5kgs. But it’s 5years old so not particularly modern battery wise. Frame sounds heavy at 26kgs too. Is it alloy?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
At 1kg it will be a small battery with a small range.
My 710 watt battery weighs 3.9kg. Total bike weight 23.3kg but it is quite a light bike a lot of modern ones are 27kg to 29kg.

Rollingwheels

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2021
Fordingbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2002
If you want a lighter bike the Specialized Vado Sl are about 15kgs they use a smaller motor and battery so there is not so much power but as they are lighter it compensates we have had ours a few years and they are excellent top quality bike so not cheap, we are considering changing ours shortly so if they are of any interest let me know, I don’t know where you are but we are near Salisbury if you want to try it out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
At 1kg it will be a small battery with a small range.
My 710 watt battery weighs 3.9kg. Total bike weight 23.3kg but it is quite a light bike a lot of modern ones are 27kg to 29kg.
Battery is quoted as being 13AH 24v with a range of 25 miles.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
What motor unit is fitted....there are quite a few on the market....it is possible to get a Fazua motor that's light....

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
First of all determin what you want from a bike

Second do you want a crank motor or a hub motor (use may determine this)

Have a peek at various motor manufactures these will give a good idea of components

Try and hire as many bikes you can before you buy

Also if it a general touring bike you won’t need the most powerful motors or biggest batteries

There are also lightweight e bikes coming on to the market. And features such as battery change gears and ABS brakes. !

Other motor systems are out there such as Yamaha but all are slightly different.

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
First of all determin what you want from a bike

Second do you want a crank motor or a hub motor (use may determine this)

Have a peek at various motor manufactures these will give a good idea of components

Try and hire as many bikes you can before you buy

Also if it a general touring bike you won’t need the most powerful motors or biggest batteries

There are also lightweight e bikes coming on to the market. And features such as battery change gears and ABS brakes. !

Other motor systems are out there such as Yamaha but all are slightly different.
I only need it to do a couple of miles each way, on tarmac.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you need foldable and a short range it could be fine. We went for a couple of decathlon e bikes as they seem reasonably priced and from an on street retailer so there's somewhere to get service if needed. We didn't want to spend a fortune before we found out how much we were likely to use them

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Battery is quoted as being 13AH 24v with a range of 25 miles.

I only need it to do a couple of miles each way, on tarmac.
Mine has a range of 80 miles on Eco, only bought it 2 weeks ago already done 170 miles on it, not bad for an unfit old fart with a dodgy knee.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
When they state the mileage on the bikes.
How accurate are they ?

I imagine it’s based on lowest power setting but on steady riding is this sufficient setting

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
How accurate are they ?

I imagine it’s based on lowest power setting but on steady riding is this sufficient setting
It's impossible for the manufacturers to state an accurate mileage as so much is a variable. Weight of rider, fitness of rider, flat riding, undulating riding, hilly riding etc....
My wifes has a 400wh battery and it does 60-70 miles with 5000 feet of climbing. This is mainly because she wants to do most of the pwoering of the bike herself and uses the eco setting only on hills. Works for her.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Can I ask why you want an ebike for a couple of miles on tarmac? You'd not be using it to its full potential unless you need the power assist for medical etc reasons.

What is your budget?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
How accurate are they ?

Based on Eco (lowest power) on the flat with no wind and average weight rider I think 75kg.
Our old e bikes it was quoted at 69 miles in practice around 40 miles the boss can probably get 50 miles. I'm 76kg she is 45kg.

New bike is a lot better quoted 80 miles and looks like getting around 50 with a lot of serious uphill.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The op wants a bike for cycling on tarmac.
Need full suspension with the state of our roads. Road my old bike with just front suspension on the road last week it was horrible compared to the new one with full sus and longer sus travel.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Need full suspension with the state of our roads. Road my old bike with just front suspension on the road last week it was horrible compared to the new one with full sus and longer sus travel.
Each to their own but I wouldn't spend the extra £ and weight for s full sus shopping bike for a few miles on tarmac.

OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Can I ask why you want an ebike for a couple of miles on tarmac? You'd not be using it to its full potential unless you need the power assist for medical etc reasons.

What is your budget?
Due to medical issues I can't walk very far.
It's only really for popping to shops to get supplies when away.
I haven't really got a budget in mind but because of the limited use it will get, once or twice a week, limited mileage, and hopefully won't be a long term thing I don't want to spend much.
On the flat how much peddling do you have to do as I understand that the electric motor only assists when peddling ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Due to medical issues I can't walk very far.
It's only really for popping to shops to get supplies when away.
I haven't really got a budget in mind but because of the limited use it will get, once or twice a week, limited mileage, and hopefully won't be a long term thing I don't want to spend much.
On the flat how much peddling do you have to do as I understand that the electric motor only assists when peddling ?
If you buy a used one it may well have a twist and go throttle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back