Hymer S550 Door damp / swollen insulation repair (1 Viewer)

Cornwallradio

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer S550
Exp
since 2008
Hi everyone , new here so hello first !

I have a 1992 s550 i am fixing up , one issue is the side door appears to have let in water i think due to a lack of lower latch and also no awning and cornish rain

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
HI can't help you with your problem but welcome to the forum

:hiya2:

OP
OP
C

Cornwallradio

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer S550
Exp
since 2008
dont press enter before you finish your message !

So i was wondering if its possible top swap out the insulation in these doors , the actual doors metalwork is fine , its the insulation inside thats swollen and the inner door lining that on the joins where its gor wet has gone wrong....are lined ready to fit panels available for these or do i need to diy the door insulations ?

Thanks for any advice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
dont press enter before you finish your message !

So i was wondering if its possible top swap out the insulation in these doors , the actual doors metalwork is fine , its the insulation inside thats swollen and the inner door lining that on the joins where its gor wet has gone wrong....are lined ready to fit panels available for these or do i need to diy the door insulations ?

Thanks for any advice
Welcome! I suspect the only place you could get a replacement door or parts of a door would be a breaker's yard. But they are likely to be very scarce if available at all. So down to DIY I suspect. Is the rest of the body sound?

OP
OP
C

Cornwallradio

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer S550
Exp
since 2008
Welcome! I suspect the only place you could get a replacement door or parts of a door would be a breaker's yard. But they are likely to be very scarce if available at all. So down to DIY I suspect. Is the rest of the body sound?

its quite possible as you say , apparently the door has insulated inserts for the 2 halves of the door and its those that have got damp and expanded , it seems the other wall panels in these hymers can be swapped out and still sourced new but not sure where right now , the main uk parts dealer quoted me £800 for a whole door but i only need the insulated inserts :) could well end up diying it and covering the panels myself unless i can find parts .

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think DIY repair is the way to go.
Welcome to the forum by the way.
If you pay the £15 subs there is a whole world of useful advice on here for all manner of technical problems from very experienced people. Well worth the money, especially if your Hymer is a bit of a project.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
If you upload some photos it would be easier to give advice.
Being a Hymer the insulation should be PU foam which is not supposed to absorb water.
As it's the door and not structural to the van you could take the insulation out replaced the panels and fill with expanding foam or you could replace with PU foam like Kingspan easy to get from builders merchants.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
C

Cornwallradio

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer S550
Exp
since 2008
:welco:
If you upload some photos it would be easier to give advice.
Being a Hymer the insulation should be PU foam which is not supposed to absorb water.
As it's the door and not structural to the van you could take the insulation out replaced the panels and fill with expanding foam or you could replace with PU foam like Kingspan easy to get from builders merchants.

cheers for the info lenny and i will do some photos and upload , it looks like original insulation in them ( a type of insulation board as you say with a textured lining / finish ) its definately a swelling from water damage i think on the middle join of the 2 part door but the s550 here has seen quite a view all weather trips i think as its well sun faded and also well weathered on the paintwork

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Could it be replaced with Kingspan/Celotex type insulation board?
Easily and cheaply available, so long as it doesn’t provide structural strength to the door.

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
Hi I had to rebuild the rotten passenger side door bottom 1992 B544. You take the door off then cut out the damaged ply. Replace any manky foam with expanding foam. Cut foam down to size. Fit new thin ply from diy shop. Cover with spray glue then stick on textured cream/white fablon. Or buy a second hand door if you can find one! Good luck.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
cheers for the info lenny and i will do some photos and upload , it looks like original insulation in them ( a type of insulation board as you say with a textured lining / finish ) its definately a swelling from water damage i think on the middle join of the 2 part door but the s550 here has seen quite a view all weather trips i think as its well sun faded and also well weathered on the paintwork
Sounds like you are taking about the wallboard/inner door panel not the insulation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back