Hymer Habitation Door Catch - Repeat Failure (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi, we've got a '67 reg Hymer MLT 570.

The habitation door lock failed in Jan this year - it wouldn't "catch" so we had to rely on a bungie strap on the inside and fortunately we had had a Fiamma door security flap fitted so the door was secure.

Our local Hymer dealer fitted a replacement Hymer door catch mechanism (we were given back the old catch) at the beginning of July (about £200), and the same thing has just happened again to the new door catch! This time though we've been able to get the door to lock, but obviously we can't now use the habitation door☹

I'm sure I've read on here that sometimes it's due to the internal springs breaking, but I've searched and searched and can't find the post.

Can anyone suggest if this is something we can fix ourselves? If we need to buy another door catch mechanism then so be it but it's going to work out expensive if they only last six weeks!!

Here's a photo of the door catch to show you what type it is

IMG_20200812_100730814.jpg

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
I guess that's our thoughts as well, but they replaced the old catch with a new catch which has now also broken.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Ours does the opposite and jams when closed. The inside flap won't pull or the lock barrel won't turn. So far have 'fixed' it by pulling out the black part on the edge of the door, if open, or a time honoured thump if closed.

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi Lenny, thanks very much for this link! 😊 I'm still reading through the threads but I'm not sure if the door catch mechanism is a Hymer-only design or a generic mechanism that is used on many makes of motorhomes. Reading the threads though, it seems that door catch problems are fairly common across all makes. ☹️

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
I think the mechanism is similar but thehousing is customised for the converter.

Hi Lenny, We've carefully taken the cover off the lock this afternoon. All the springs appeared to be correctly located and none of them were loose. However we reset the position of the black latch and it clicked back into place. We then gave it a try and we're really pleased when it worked correctly!

We're going to buy some spare springs in case we need them in the future - which colyboy has really kindly provided the details for - it was on one of the threads that you linked to me, so I really appreciate your help thanks!! 😊👍

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Ours does the opposite and jams when closed. The inside flap won't pull or the lock barrel won't turn. So far have 'fixed' it by pulling out the black part on the edge of the door, if open, or a time honoured thump if closed.

Hi Tony! Thanks very much for your reply! We've not had that problem yet, but I have to say the lock mechanism doesn't feel too robust, so maybe we'll have the same problem as you in the future so it's good to know the workaround!! We've taken the cover off the lock today and reset the catch and thankfully it's working again now! 🤞

Thanks again!

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Our Hymer habitation door lock has just failed. The slider which retracts the lock from the door frame has sheared off. Does anyone know if replacement parts are available or do I need to try and source a complete unit. It's for a 2013 A-class.

Thanks...Keith

Last edited:
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Well, having fixed our newly replaced door catch back in July, it has recently failed again, so you have our sympathy!

We dug out the original failed door catch to have a compare, and with lots of advice from Jenben - thanks Jenben! We removed and dismantled the door catch and have managed to resolve the issue. For us it wasn’t due to any broken springs, or the slider shearing off as in your case, but for us the cam had become disengaged from the lock mechanism.

Our Motorhome is still booked into the workshop next week for them to take a look at the lock as it shouldn’t have failed so quickly.....surely!

Anyway, please can I recommend you give Samantha Lowbridge from the Parts Team at the Erwin Hymer Centre Travelworld in Stafford a call? Samantha is super helpful and knowledgeable on the subject of Hymer door locks, and can source spare parts / springs for the locks.

Also, our lock is a “FAP Firenze” lock mechanism which I believe is a Hartal lock. I have found it mentioned on another Forum that Miriad Products in Uttoxeter are the Hartal agent in the UK, so they were going to be my next port of call - I though I’d include this extra info in case it was helpful to you!

Hope this helps! 😊

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, Samantha has got stuff in the past for us. I feared we might have to buy a complete lock when all we need is one component.

I need to take a better look tomorrow but this seems like the inside of our unit.

I’m reluctant to take the lock apart until I have a potential solution as the hab door is currently in a locked state with the van in a storage compound.

However if I could source a right-handed unit like this for thirty odd quid I’d be delighted!

ECC925A1-F017-4645-9864-5296CD0443F4.png

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you strip, clean, relubricate and reassemble these latches it solves most cases of the latch sticking or not releasing. It also helps prevent springs or lugs from snapping because the mechanism is too stiff.

A regular fault is the latch not releasing when the sun heats the door up. A lubricate and adjust fixes that from my experience

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, Samantha has got stuff in the past for us. I feared we might have to buy a complete lock when all we need is one component.

I need to take a better look tomorrow but this seems like the inside of our unit.

I’m reluctant to take the lock apart until I have a potential solution as the hab door is currently in a locked state with the van in a storage compound.

However if I could source a right-handed unit like this for thirty odd quid I’d be delighted!

View attachment 434683
Thanks to Paul Harrison I have a picture of my lock unit. It's the cream one under Paul's "superior" one. Does anyone have a possible source for one of these, or better still for spare parts inside?

1603181834283.png
1603181834283.png

Dec 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi, we've got a '67 reg Hymer MLT 570.

The habitation door lock failed in Jan this year - it wouldn't "catch" so we had to rely on a bungie strap on the inside and fortunately we had had a Fiamma door security flap fitted so the door was secure.

Our local Hymer dealer fitted a replacement Hymer door catch mechanism (we were given back the old catch) at the beginning of July (about £200), and the same thing has just happened again to the new door catch! This time though we've been able to get the door to lock, but obviously we can't now use the habitation door☹

I'm sure I've read on here that sometimes it's due to the internal springs breaking, but I've searched and searched and can't find the post.

Can anyone suggest if this is something we can fix ourselves? If we need to buy another door catch mechanism then so be it but it's going to work out expensive if they only last six weeks!!

Here's a photo of the door catch to show you what type it is

View attachment 415049
That is the type

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back