Hymer Exsis I external temperature sensor location (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
This has been playing up on mine for 6 months, I haven’t changed it simply because I couldn’t find it. Looked bloody everywhere!

Told me there was ice on the road today. :-(

It isn’t in the mirrors like normal, the plus side is I now know exactly how to take the mirror to bits. I also know where most of the earth terminals ground all over the chassis.

If you were wondering where yours was on the same model, it’s near the front, forward of the drivers wheel arch stuck with some sikaflex to one of the cross members. Look up from the front right hand side near the radiator and it’s sitting there.

I have ordered a Peugeot one that I could get tomorrow as they look identical and I have to cut the cable anyway, for £8 it was worth the punt as I suspect they are identical thermisters inside.

It looks just like the one in the mirrors just stuck to the cross member.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I’ve got the same issue in my present van, a fiat, it reads about 15c too high…😒
If it works I will update the thread. Yours might be wired the wrong way round. I have read they read consistently wrong if wired back to front.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Okay, the cheapo Amazon one didn’t work. Kept registering 58 degrees wired both ways.

I have phoned Fiat, they found the part number fitted and have ordered one, £31 so I hope it works this time.

Interestingly they could tell me what part number it was even though it’s non standard as Hymer ordered separately with the chassis. It isn’t the same sensor that is on normal Ducato’s.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
New sensor fitted, still the same. :-(

Just working out if I just disconnect it and not bother or I trace the loom back.

I can get the to the multi plug and rewire direct back, it’s a pain and sods law says I might break something else dismantling lots of plugs and fuse boards and ECU.

Does it do anything else except display the temperature, I don’t think it does.

Searching on the Fiat forum, it seems a common issue but nobody knows the answer.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020
North Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2014
My old Fiat Ducato Rapido A Class outside temperature gauge also over-read by about 40.c - another Fiat common problem I guess …..

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Having a read through the converters manual, I don’t think it actually does anything except display the temperature.

I am tempted to leave it disconnected.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Having a read through the converters manual, I don’t think it actually does anything except display the temperature.

I am tempted to leave it disconnected.
Last ditch attempt, I had read somewhere to disconnect the battery so the computer could reset. I did this and hey presto it’s reading correctly.

Not sure if it’s the normal pattern so not holding my breath, but for now, it’s working.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Still working this afternoon, hope it stays that way……

For anyone else looking, the separate sensor part number was 1375410080.

The standard sensors only come as part of the mirror assembly apparently.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Still working this afternoon, hope it stays that way……

For anyone else looking, the separate sensor part number was 1375410080.

The standard sensors only come as part of the mirror assembly apparently.
Is it still working? Did you cut off the old one and connect the new one to the old, left in place, wiring? That would make the job a doddle.
I’ve traced the wiring up, around, behind and along. Eventually it disappears down the side of the windscreen washer reservoir toward the dash area but I can’t see/reach any further without removing the headlight and the dashboard end cover inside.
I found mine today after months looking for it off and on, I’m sure I’d already looked up there too.
I’m wondering if the cheaper one you bought would have worked following disconnecting the battery.
IMG_1698.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Is it still working? Did you cut off the old one and connect the new one to the old, left in place, wiring? That would make the job a doddle.
I’ve traced the wiring up, around, behind and along. Eventually it disappears down the side of the windscreen washer reservoir toward the dash area but I can’t see/reach any further without removing the headlight and the dashboard end cover inside.
I found mine today after months looking for it off and on, I’m sure I’d already looked up there too.
I’m wondering if the cheaper one you bought would have worked following disconnecting the battery.
View attachment 778896
Yes. Just cut the old one off and used the wiring already there.

It’s still working so far. 👍

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Just fitted this morning, appears to work perfectly. I did the disconnect and reconnect battery thing.
I cut off the old one and fitted this, though I used a block connector and tape because that’s all I had. I’ll redo it next weekend now I know it works.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Just fitted this morning, appears to work perfectly. I did the disconnect and reconnect battery thing.
I cut off the old one and fitted this, though I used a block connector and tape because that’s all I had. I’ll redo it next weekend now I know it works.
Great news, I would have saved myself hours by disconnecting the battery first. :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Does it do anything else except display the temperature, I don’t think it does.
I remember reading somewhere it has something to do on a comformatic box if you have one? Sorry but can’t remember where I read it but very recently🤔

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I remember reading somewhere it has something to do on a comformatic box if you have one? Sorry but can’t remember where I read it but very recently🤔
I did read that the air conditioning wouldn’t cut in if it read below 2 degrees. No idea. 🤷‍♂️

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not the box it is the DPF can bugger up regeneration.

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I think there is a thread on here somewhere and a YouTube video about the external temperature sensor having a role with the ECU, relating to DPF regeneration.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think there is a thread on here somewhere and a YouTube video about the external temperature sensor having a role with the ECU, relating to DPF regeneration.
Yes that’s the one DPF nothing to do with comformatic🙄what am I like😂😂😂

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Yes it was ambulancekidd

Thousands Spent But Still A DPF Fault!? You Won't Believe The Cause! Peugeot Boxer (1 Viewer)​

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back