Hydraulic Self Levelling Advice (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Buying Merc Sprinter
Exp
40 years
We have a 5.93m Mercedes Sprinter campervan on order and are considering having a hydraulic self levelling system fitted. Any advice from members who already have it on their campers or motorhomes would be appreciated.

Reactions: KEW
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Great for convenience & comfort, but very expensive if you are not keeping the van for number of years to make it worthwhile overall.

As a dealer once told me..."yea you fit as many accessories as you like, it wont make the van worth any more at trade in, but it will make it easier for me to sell, compared to a standard one"..... I think I said something along the lines of "No S**T Sherlock"

Fit what you like to improve your overall touring experience,& comfort, just make sure you use it and often as you can to get your monies worth.(y)
Check out the weights of everything and how it reduces the payload, that is or should be the main governing factor in choosing all accessories.
Happy Travels.
LES

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bill and Lou
Feb 26, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Buying Merc Sprinter
Exp
40 years
I have a 6m Ducato and have an electric self levelling system. Cheaper, and no pump or oil tank to take up precious space inside. Very pleased with it. Can be fitted to most makes of van.
That's very interesting. What make is the self levelling system?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bill and Lou
Feb 26, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Buying Merc Sprinter
Exp
40 years
Great for convenience & comfort, but very expensive if you are not keeping the van for number of years to make it worthwhile overall.

As a dealer once told me..."yea you fit as many accessories as you like, it wont make the van worth any more at trade in, but it will make it easier for me to sell, compared to a standard one"..... I think I said something along the lines of "No S**T Sherlock"

Fit what you like to improve your overall touring experience,& comfort, just make sure you use it and often as you can to get your monies worth.(y)
Check out the weights of everything and how it reduces the payload, that is or should be the main governing factor in choosing all accessories.
Happy Travels.
LES
We plan to keep the van for many years and realise it probably won't make any difference to the resale value when we eventually do sell it. As you say, the weight of any system is our main concern.

Upvote 0
Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
We have it on the Rapido A class we bought, I think it's great no messing about with ramps, van stable when parked with the rams down, also had to change my wheel with a puncture a few weeks ago simple press of the button. The van has been updated to 4t so payload not an issue for us.
Only you can decide if its worth the money to have it fitted but it's a thumbs up from me.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We had an E&P leveling system, semi-air suspension and uprated front springs fitted by SAP in Doncaster. Martin collected it after the work was done yesterday and drove it home.

He says the ride was incredible - much better than previously.

The leveling system is because we are getting older and ramps are heavy and a nuisance. Martin doesn't like driving up them so that is my job (I don't mind) but I don't like him being near the front of the van when I am going up them.

Money doesn't really matter as we've done it for our own comfort and intend to keep the van for several more seasons.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I am confused as some of the replies appear to be regarding on-site van levelling and others about suspension mods?

Geoff

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am confused as some of the replies appear to be regarding on-site van levelling and others about suspension mods?

Geoff
We were advised that if the front springs / coils were upgraded a heavier duty self leveling ram could be fitted. The semi-air suspension on the back was purely because of the ride improvement it offers.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Geoff
The title "hydraulic self levelling" obviously refers to just jacks for use on site, when parked up or even for maintenance work, some have mentioned the suspension mods I guess as they were done at the same time and same place as the Hydraulic levellers, and it's all good feedback;)

Upvote 0

daveclare

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
We have E&P fitted to our A class. We'd recommend it if you've got room for the gubbins and spare weight capacity. We've found that sites can vary in levelness quite a bit. Especially abroad. The photo shows ours in Spain. If you take suspension movement into account we'd be nowhere near level with chocks. So for this reason we'd have them fitted to every other van we'd own.

The van next door in the photo had chocks but they still had problems with sink emptying. Also our van is nice and steady when someone gets up in the middle of the night!

At home we use it to stop water from pooling on the roof too.
20211017_114356.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bill and Lou
Feb 26, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Buying Merc Sprinter
Exp
40 years
I have a PVC plated at 3500kg and have to be careful of how much I carry. How is weight not a problem for you?

Geoff
Weight is a major consideration for us but if we can possibly do it we'd like to.

Upvote 0

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Weight is a major consideration for us but if we can possibly do it we'd like to.
Levellers weigh about 55kg, but you don’t have to carry wheel changing jack or drive on levellers. Why not swap your battery to lithium at the same time, half the weigh, you might find it all evens out in the end!!

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Thanks, I'll have a look at E&P levellers.
Don’t forget HPC
We had ours fitted by AS in Warrington, highly recommended.

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
We have an ih N CLASS 630 , with E&P hydraulic leavers fitted by SAP at Doncaster , great company , this is the best thing we have ever bought for our van conversion, if you are going to keep it any length of time you won’t regret it , and if you change you can have them transferred to your new van ,no rocking about in the wind , no movement when someone gets up in the night ,no hassle when you get on site ,

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We have MA-VE self levelling on ours and it’s brilliant. Comes with a 3 year Europe wide call out warranty. I agree it won’t increase the value but you can have it removed and refitted to another motorhome when you do change it for around a quarter of the original cost.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back