Hydraulic levellers - snow and mountain use⛷ (1 Viewer)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Any experience of using these in snowy conditions ( got towed off campsite last year due to freeze /thaw and we were on ramps and have traction control) or summer use in rocky ground conditions . Our adventures are mountain based. Seriously tempted, (aware high price tag) just want to make sure they are up to the job for our travels. Looking forward to your advice

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No problem in the winter, the feet can freeze to the ground and take out a clump of “tundra” when they come up, to avoid this put a sheet of plastic down first, great to avoid being towed off as you can lift the wheels and put something under to aid traction. On very rocky ground you could a square of scaffolding board or similar to protect the foot plated from bending, never parked anywhere that rough personally.

Martin

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We use outrigger pads under the jacks if the ground is soft or in snow and ice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for reply, good tips. Southdowners - what are outrigger pads and where would i source them please?
30x30cm available on ebay and elsewhere.
1571595960106.png

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for reply, good tips. Southdowners - what are outrigger pads and where would i source them please?

I bought ours from Mick at SAP when we had our E&P levelling system fitted by them, he keeps them in stock.
We also carry two sets of grip mats with us, just in case.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Any experience of using these in snowy conditions ( got towed off campsite last year due to freeze /thaw and we were on ramps and have traction control) or summer use in rocky

We’ve used our E&P levellers in conditions down to -20c while skiing. The only problem we have had is the system occasionally tripping out when lifting them due to it sensing an over pressure event.

Talking to Mick at SAP this is caused by our installation where the pump is in an external locker. The pump gets very cold making the viscosity of the oil raise too high in ultra low temps.

Not a big prob though as it only happens to us below -10c . It’s easy to reset the system and they lift on the 2nd attempt. In Scandinavia they switch to Citroen Hydraulic fluid in winter to avoid the problem.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I’ve got a set of those square pads but in black :whistle2: But as our Moho always seems to measure nose down on the handset I’ve made some 4 inch thick 9x9 inch pads too so the rams only have to come out a short way to stop them flexing as they do on full extension.

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We’ve used our E&P levellers in conditions down to -20c while skiing. The only problem we have had is the system occasionally tripping out when lifting them due to it sensing an over pressure event.

Talking to Mick at SAP this is caused by our installation where the pump is in an external locker. The pump gets very cold making the viscosity of the oil raise too high in ultra low temps.

Not a big prob though as it only happens to us below -10c . It’s easy to reset the system and they lift on the 2nd attempt. In Scandinavia they switch to Citroen Hydraulic fluid in winter to avoid the problem.
Thanks for the brilliant advice. We were told that it could be installed underslung which seemed appealing, but this has changed my mind and will opt for locker - we have an outside/inside under bench which may do the trick .
as a second thought, does the fluid come pre installed or wonder if can specify at time installation. We are planning getting done before our 2020 ski holiday

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I contacted E&P as I was rather worried too.
sent me an email saying absolutely no problem even if we went to syberia.. good enough for me and had them down as low as -20 with no issue,

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Soozywoozy

Just wanted you to be aware of it in case it ever happens to you. It’s not a big problem.

It’s not worth switching to the CHF as you would have to switch back to the normal hydraulic fluid for the summer and it is very expensive to flush the system and change.

Personally I still wouldn’t bother wasting internal locker space. It’s only happened in very very low temps and SAP told us it isn’t damaging to the system. A quick reset gets them going again anyway. Make sure you learn the remote button trick to resetting though - I originally kept having to get under the van to pull the fuse to do it until Mick told me:)

haganap
It took a while to diagnose as most installs are done in internal lockers. SAP finally figured it out with help from E+P. Looks like we were the only UK install to have an external install + go skiing in such low temps. If yours is internal you’re never going to have a problem.

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
A quick reset gets them going again anyway. Make sure you learn the remote button trick to resetting though - I originally kept having to get under the van to pull the fuse to do it until Mick told me
Thank you. Please share the tip! -20 a distinct possibility - happens most years, well at least 10 in any case.
As always this forum comes up trumps

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Errrrrrrrrrrrr, what’s this “-“ nonsense please. :sun::sun::sun: For us thankyouverymuchly:hot:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Please share the tip! -20 a distinct possibility -
You can reset the system by simultaneously pressing and holding the bottom left (tank drain) and bottom right (raise jacks) buttons on the control panel.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
word of warning, you can only do the reset trick if your remote works, mine brokehad problems with it. tried it all, Mick said gett in and pull the fuse. Did fine, but then realised we had one of the faulty batch of remotes (of course this is me) and sent me a new one, been fine since, My install is in a heated locker of course.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
word of warning, you can only do the reset trick if your remote works

I think the system reset trick works on the main control panel even if you don’t have a remote handset (though I suspect it won’t fix a broken handset) :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back