Hydra trail easy lifter spare wheel carrier (1 Viewer)

roger7

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
Looking for a solution for storage of a spare wheel. Any one made up a bracket? Just a photo would be very helpfull

Jeff James

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
cardiff
Funster No
MH
High top motorhome
Exp
since 2009
Sorry Roger, don`t have an answer for you, but I`m thinking of getting the Hyrda Trail for my bike. What do you think of it? Have you covered much mileage with it on the back? I know they are a bit expensive, but are they worth it?
Thanks
Jeff

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We went to Spain a couple of times with our Hydratrail with a 300cc Vespa scooter on it and had no problems.

We modified it after a friends broke on the roads of Italy but ours never had a issue.

The bike takes a bit of a hammering as there is no suspension only articulation of the platform but I found them a good bit of kit. (y)

View media item 22241

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jeff James

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
cardiff
Funster No
MH
High top motorhome
Exp
since 2009
thanks for the info Mike. Did you ever experience the wheels going into a "Tank slapper" if you travel at too high a speed. I have read some reports that have mentioned the wheels can flap around like a supermarket trolley if you exceed 50mph?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
thanks for the info Mike. Did you ever experience the wheels going into a "Tank slapper" if you travel at too high a speed. I have read some reports that have mentioned the wheels can flap around like a supermarket trolley if you exceed 50mph?

No - there is a damper of sorts. It is a adjustable circlip which goes around the pivot wheel mounting.

Do it up enough that you can "just" turn the wheel/pivot by hand and it should not castor like a shopping trolley. We never had it happen.

If it does tighten the circlip to prevent it. Its circled in the picture below

Don't go over the top if the wheels can't pivot it will put a lot of load into the tow bar.

View media item 23464

Jeff James

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
cardiff
Funster No
MH
High top motorhome
Exp
since 2009
Brilliant info, thanks Mike! I have 3 weeks in the Ardeche in July, so taking the bike (Fireblade) is extremely tempting, and this seems the best bit of kit I have found. Really don`t want a traditional bike trailer, due to manoeuvrability issues and storage for the rest of the year, and when on site. Maybe raiding the piggy bank for one of these, unless I can find one on e bay, but they do seen like hens teeth (Second hand)!

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
If you do get one, they are brillant by tge way, make sure you get the spare wheel in Blighty. The bolts have 4 inch pcd, not a continental 100 mm.
It is cheaper to get a wheel and tyre on eBay than it is just buying a tyre and tube from ATS (other tyre outlets are avalable.

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Looking for a solution for storage of a spare wheel. Any one made up a bracket? Just a photo would be very helpfull

7152C1CF-DF87-4630-A43F-D2B5D65493FB.png
BDDE4966-4D77-4AA3-A468-947EDBCB67C2.png

Here’s what I did, a bit of cutting, bending and welding of a piece of box section and pinned it into the front wheel Vee. Made up a hub and bolted the spare to it. Thinking of modding it to use a spare hub with bearings, easy change at the roadside if required.

OP
OP
R

roger7

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
Thank you GCS for the photo. Just what I needed. Will make up some thing similar before we leave for France in April

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back