LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I am going to use my HUAWEI 4G+ Router (B535) which I use for home internet and phone while away in the MoHo. Has anybody any experience of running one straight from the leisure battery 12 volt which can of course go up to 14volt. I know a couple of Motorhome WiFi suppliers use them and I think Addie at MotorhomeWiFi uses these as well. I also watched a video by Kat at Wandering Bird who appeared to connect it to an un-regulated habitation supply. It is quite an expensive router so I don't want to blow it. It obviously doesn't give a voltage range in the spec.
Also when I get to the UK I intend to fit a Poynting Puck-2 antenna. Has anybody any experience of these. They seem to be the favourite on the Poynting site now rather than the Mimo which is quite a bit more expensive. But I know a few on here have fitted and are pleased with.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Sounds like you need some regulation 👍🏻
Like this
Takes a DC input & puts out 12v DC from it. Even if the input is a low 10v DC or high 36v DC

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’m going start using the same router in my van,very impressed with it in the house.
I bought this, with recommendations from Lenny HB , which I ran my Huawei e5577 off the usb but it also has a adjustable output which I’ve set to 12volts and the B535 runs of that, should be no worries about over voltage.
<Broken link removed>

I have a cheapo puck antenna at the moment which does nothing for the B535, so I’m thinking of getting this Poynting antenna, if Solwise can get one in stock

or a bit dearer the older design

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I use mine on a 24v system, just wired up a cigarette lighter socket and used a cigarette lighter USB adapter and it's been in constant use for the last 3 years without issue

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use mine on a 24v system, just wired up a cigarette lighter socket and used a cigarette lighter USB adapter and it's been in constant use for the last 3 years without issue
The OP’s router is 12 volt so wouldn’t run on usb 5 volt.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I am going to use my HUAWEI 4G+ Router (B535) which I use for home internet and phone while away in the MoHo. Has anybody any experience of running one straight from the leisure battery 12 volt which can of course go up to 14volt.
Years ago when we had our old Hymer, I was looking at buying a voltage stabiliser to protect our 12v LED TV. It was then that I was advised that apparently the MH electrics on Hymer group vehicles (Schaudt) has voltage stabilising built in, as was reverse polarity sensing, which protected both the electrics and the occupants.

Not sure how accurate that info is, but as you are a Hymer owner, it might be worth looking into, before purchasing unnecessarily.

If you have one of those plug in volt meters, plug in into the 12v TV socket, to see what the volts are when on EHU.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Edited.............. See Lenny HB's post further down. đź‘Ť

Last edited:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I’m going start using the same router in my van,very impressed with it in the house.
I bought this, with recommendations from Lenny HB , which I ran my Huawei e5577 off the usb but it also has a adjustable output which I’ve set to 12volts and the B535 runs of that, should be no worries about over voltage.
<Broken link removed>
That is a neat little box. I don’t have an immediate need for one & may buy one 1st then find a need 🤣
The OP’s router is 12 volt so wouldn’t run on usb 5 volt.
The USB spec is an evolving beast.
Gromett posted a handy lookup chart here
Long short, I’d need to know what USB type Bobby-gg has to be sure it’s max. 5v

Edit: typo for by/buy

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Steve, the Power Supply that Manic linked to is a good little unit, I thought you were going to get one last time we saw you I take it you didn't.

Manic , Steve was asking about the Poynting Puck I think a couple of Funsters have used them and found them OK. The gain is a bit less than the bigger MIMO I'm not sure if they would work so well in remote areas as the aerial array must be a lot smaller in them.

Years ago when we had our old Hymer, I was looking at buying a voltage stabiliser to protect our 12v LED TV. It was then that I was advised that apparently the MH electrics on Hymer group vehicles (Schaudt) has voltage stabilising built in, as was reverse polarity sensing, which protected both the electrics and the occupants.
Someone has been telling you fairy stories, Hymer are the same as any other van the 12v will vary with the state of charge & if on EHU will be up to 14.4v (14.7v on later vans with the dreaded AGM battery).

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have the B535 router as part of the Motorhome WiFi kit and as far as I know it just runs straight off a switched 12v supply.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi Steve, the Power Supply that Manic linked to is a good little unit, I thought you were going to get one last time we saw you I take it you didn't.

Manic , Steve was asking about the Poynting Puck I think a couple of Funsters have used them and found them OK. The gain is a bit less than the bigger MIMO I'm not sure if they would work so well in remote areas as the aerial array must be a lot smaller in them.

Someone has been telling you fairy stories, Hymer are the same as any other van the 12v will vary with the state of charge & if on EHU will be up to 14.4v (14.7v on later vans with the dreaded AGM battery).
We've got a Puck and it works fine. The main reason for going for this model was "portability", it's not fixed permanently to the roof. If I was going to make permanent fixture I would be going for a MIMO.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Motorhome wifi do a 12v stabilised 12v supply with on/off switch which also connects to a roof mounted MIMO. They sell this separately for about ÂŁ50.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi Steve, the Power Supply that @Manic linked to is a good little unit, I thought you were going to get one last time we saw you I take it you didn't.
Hi Lenny,
I got the 12volt to micro usb for driving the MiFi but didn't get a 12 to 12 unfortunately. The one that Manic posted is unavailable so I will have to do a bit more research when I get to the UK on Wednesday where it is easier to order. The micro switch on the pump has burnt out so I have to order one of those. and I will rewire it through the relay this time. Shame Maplins has gone now.
We will be in quarantine for ten days so plenty of time to do things while at my sons place. I just wanted to use it on the journey. But I can use the mifi but not have the home phone facility.
As Addie uses these routers with his top-of-the-range system he may be along in a bit with some more info.
Thanks to every one else for the suggestions.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Any one know if a threaded tube 60mm long is available for the Poynting 2 as the fitting only suites panel van skins not Mo HO with 30+ mm roofs
if not then its a glue on only jobby
also the leads are exceptionally short at 30cmso need extensions of 30cm to 50cm

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Any one know if a threaded tube 60mm long is available for the Poynting 2 as the fitting only suites panel van skins not Mo HO with 30+ mm roofs
also the leads are exceptionally short at 30cmso need extensions of 30cm to 50cm
I don’t know about the puck 2 but I know this one comes with a 2 spigots a short one and one 50 mm long and 2m cables

• You're a Star
Reactions: Geo

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I removed the sticky pad from the base and used Sika to fix, Yes you have to buy extension leads their more expensive version has 3m leads.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Not heard reports of the pump microswitches failing do you think it's just a one off?
Thanks for the link Lenny HB have ordered one but I think it is coming from China as delivery is 21st April even though they say UK seller.
This is the second microswitch that has burned out. The pump pulls quite a few amps. I have a relay in the circuit so when I find a new microswitch I will rewire it to use the relay. It’s double contacts so I can use both to increase the current handling.
Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thats cheaky saying UK seller then shipping from China normally they ship from a drop shipping UK wear house.

<Broken link removed>ships from UK if you can cancel the other one.

That's not good on the pump it was a Shurflow wasn't it?

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thats cheaky saying UK seller then shipping from China normally they ship from a drop shipping UK wear house.

<Broken link removed>ships from UK if you can cancel the other one.

That's not good on the pump it was a Shurflow wasn't it?
Yes very cheeky, I won’t bother cancelling as I found a variable voltage ciggy lighter plug in my bits box which is working fine, I am writing this while using it without an external antenna. So the other unit will just make a more robust wired in solution.
I found some micro switches which are coming from UK and have promised delivery for Friday. So have ordered three. Mine is the other make but identical to Shurflow except orange coloured usually used in marine applications, can’t think of the name. A bit more powerful than Shureflow hence the extra amps. So will use the relay as I said to save the switch.
I have compared the specs of the Puck-2 against the Mimo you have and it says that the gain of the Puck-2 is 6dBi against 3dBi of the mimo and I like the extended spigot mounting of the Puck-2. And I have no real use for the extra Glasnost & Wi-Fi antennas of the Mimo. With this router working so well without an external antenna, just sitting by a window I think it will be adequate. I’ve got a few days thinking time before I need to order it. As I will have my sons Wi-fi while we are quarantining In East Dean.
thanks for the help.
Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have compared the specs of the Puck-2 against the Mimo you have and it says that the gain of the Puck-2 is 6dBi against 3dBi of the mimo and I like the extended spigot mounting of the Puck-2.
I thought the MIMO is 6db and the Puck 5db. You really need to look at the gain graphs as they give the gain at the highest frequency 2.7ghz and above whereas rural transmissions use the 800 mhz band which is where you often struggle for signal.

Are you over for 3 months if so we could try and meet up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes we are, I will give you a ring when we come out of quarantine.
you have a look at the Solwise site as I think they have improved the Puck with the Puck-2 as it is now.
steve
Just had a look at the specs, 800 mhz band that we are interested in there is a big difference.

Puck 2 gain @800mhz -1db
A-MIMO-0003-02 gain @ 800mhz +4.5db
The more expensive A-MIMO-0003-V2-12 @800mhz +3.5db, this is probably because it has 2 m long cables.

The Puck would be fine if using in or near towns as the gain at the higher bandwidths they transmit at in urban areas is fine but if you want a MIMO to improve reception in rural areas it's not going to be much good.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks for looking at that in detail Lenny HB. So I had better go with the Mimo. It’s not the cost, I just like the secure mounting options of the Puck-2. I don’t know why Poynting don’t adopt the same system with the Mimo. The Mimo cables are about 30cm aren’t they.
I just don’t really need or want the extra antenna’s which I have no use for.
Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Just had a look at the specs, 800 mhz band that we are interested in there is a big difference.

Puck 2 gain @800mhz -1db
A-MIMO-0003-02 gain @ 800mhz +4.5db
The more expensive A-MIMO-0003-V2-12 @800mhz +3.5db, this is probably because it has 2 m long cables.

The Puck would be fine if using in or near towns as the gain at the higher bandwidths they transmit at in urban areas is fine but if you want a MIMO to improve reception in rural areas it's not going to be much good.
Just noticed Lenny, you are comparing with the Shark fin model. I thought you had the flat black oblong oneMimo-1. How does that compare? Although the 03 model with the short cables is cheaper but white!
Although I can’t complain we have been listening to radio-2 all morning with hardly a drop-out, and five lights on the router. But that is on the A75 which probably has many masts compared with rural areas.
Steve

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just noticed Lenny, you are comparing with the Shark fin model. I thought you had the flat black oblong oneMimo-1. How does that compare? Although the 03 model with the short cables is cheaper but white!
Although I can’t complain we have been listening to radio-2 all morning with hardly a drop-out, and five lights on the router. But that is on the A75 which probably has many masts compared with rural areas.
Steve
The older one which I have the peak gain in the 800mhz band is only 1.8db but still a lot better than the Puck.
Only ever not got a signal a couple of times. Once in a steep valley in the Picos another time in a remote part of the Voges.
Another time in a remote village in the Picos, no Comms or Data on either phone but pulled in a 3G on the MIMO.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
See my post #23
I was just highlighting to the OP that the do the different mounting and cable option.
Ive just been in contact with Solwise about the MiMo with 30cm cables( i wouldn’t want 2m cable) and it’s a 6 week lead time on the £99 one.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was just highlighting to the OP that the do the different mounting and cable option.
Ive just been in contact with Solwise about the MiMo with 30cm cables( i wouldn’t want 2m cable) and it’s a 6 week lead time on the £99 one.
When I fitted my one I ended up with two cables so I ended up with the right connectors a 200mm & 300mm & cost about ÂŁ20.
I think DBK found some cables that did the job in one go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back